Author Topic: Americans own 423M guns & 8.1B rounds of ammunition, latest data shows  (Read 1181 times)

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
American Military News by Kyle Perisic 12/5/2019

Rates of firearm ownership and gun sales are on the rise despite calls for gun control, according to a report released Wednesday by the Firearms Industry Trade Association (FITA).

Using the most recent data from the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives’ (ATF’s) Annual Firearms Manufacturing and Export Reports (AFMER) to draw its conclusions, FITA’s report stated there are 422.9 million firearms in civilian possession from 1986 to 2018, along with an estimated 8.1 billion rounds of various firearms calibers and gauges.

The report also noted that in a 25 year period between 1993 and 2017, the violent crime rate has dropped by 48.6 percent while firearms-related accidents have decreased by 68 percent.

“These figures show the industry that America has a strong desire to continue to purchase firearms for lawful purposes,” said Joe Bartozzi, President of the National Shooting Sports Foundation. “The Modern Sporting Rifle continues to be the most popular centerfire rifle sold in America today and is clearly a commonly-owned firearm with more than 17 million in legal private ownership today. The continued popularity of handguns demonstrates a strong interest by Americans to protect themselves and their homes, and to participate in the recreational shooting sports.”

More: https://americanmilitarynews.com/2019/12/thanks-beto-orourke-gun-shop-owners-credit-2020-democratic-candidates-for-spike-in-sales/

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
Re: Americans own 423M guns & 8.1B rounds of ammunition, latest data shows
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2019, 03:44:14 am »
This reminds me, I need to buy more ammo.

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2019, 03:53:16 am »
That is just shocking! Less than 2 guns per person on average? Shocking, I'm tellin' ya!

Offline GtHawk

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2019, 04:16:16 am »
That is just shocking! Less than 2 guns per person on average? Shocking, I'm tellin' ya!
Yeah but they are just counting the guns they think they know about, there are tons of guns handed down in families that aren't recorded plus all the guns backyard gunsmiths made.

Offline verga

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2019, 01:29:49 pm »
Using the most recent data from the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives’ (ATF’s) Annual Firearms Manufacturing and Export Reports (AFMER) to draw its conclusions, FITA’s report stated there are 422.9 million firearms in civilian possession from 1986 to 2018, along with an estimated 8.1 billion rounds of various firearms calibers and gauges.

More: https://americanmilitarynews.com/2019/12/thanks-beto-orourke-gun-shop-owners-credit-2020-democratic-candidates-for-spike-in-sales/
1) Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives: Should be a convenience store not a Government agency.
2)  422.9 million firearms, 8.1 billion rounds of various firearms calibers and gauges.: these are ROOKIE numbers. we are Americans we should be able to double this number.
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2019, 01:54:57 pm »
Yeah but they are just counting the guns they think they know about, there are tons of guns handed down in families that aren't recorded plus all the guns backyard gunsmiths made.

Definitely. NICS checks have only been around 20 years or so. All sorts of interesting toys that have been purchased and passed down that the govt can only suspect.
The Republic is lost.

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2019, 02:02:15 pm »
I feel like I'm behind.
I only have 2 guns and about 150 rounds.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2019, 03:43:45 pm »
1) Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives: Should be a convenience store not a Government agency.
2)  422.9 million firearms, 8.1 billion rounds of various firearms calibers and gauges.: these are ROOKIE numbers. we are Americans we should be able to double this number.

I'm doubting the ammo number.  8.1B divided by 425M equals only 20 rounds of ammo per firearm!  That is a very unlikely number.  Never look closely at stats unless you are armed with a pocket calculator. 
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online libertybele

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2019, 04:05:08 pm »
I'm doubting the ammo number.  8.1B divided by 425M equals only 20 rounds of ammo per firearm!  That is a very unlikely number.  Never look closely at stats unless you are armed with a pocket calculator.

I found a stat of 8-15 billion sold in the U.S. per year. That doesn't include prior years' ammo that isn't used.

https://www.quora.com/How-many-bullets-are-there-in-the-us
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2019, 04:45:08 pm »
I found a stat of 8-15 billion sold in the U.S. per year. That doesn't include prior years' ammo that isn't used.

And there are a lot of people loading their own ammo.  You correctly point out, people maintain stockpiles of ammo, and there is no way of knowing how much people have on hand.  I say there is no way people only have a small box of ammo for each gun.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline GtHawk

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2019, 07:32:34 pm »

I bet they aren't counting all the ammo Barry had the feds stockpiling during his misadministration.

Offline verga

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2019, 08:14:00 pm »

That is the "count" of unfired brass +load. I have heard rumors that some people have found a way to reload spent cartridges. If this were true there would be no way to know exactly how much ammunition americans have tucked away.
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Online libertybele

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2019, 08:43:08 pm »
That is the "count" of unfired brass +load. I have heard rumors that some people have found a way to reload spent cartridges. If this were true there would be no way to know exactly how much ammunition americans have tucked away.

One of the local gun ranges near me reloads spent cartridges and discounts them.  I'm just not all that confident of the safety.  However, if needed in a pinch it would certainly better than no ammo.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2019, 08:44:19 pm »

They can think whatever they like as far as I'm concerned. 
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2019, 08:46:49 pm »
One of the local gun ranges near me reloads spent cartridges and discounts them.  I'm just not all that confident of the safety.  However, if needed in a pinch it would certainly better than no ammo.

I cannot tell you when I last fired a factory round of ammunition other than the few I have fired to make sure they would function properly in the weapon I carry personally.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien