Author Topic: Underwater internet cables can detect offshore earthquakes  (Read 537 times)

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Underwater internet cables can detect offshore earthquakes
« on: December 04, 2019, 03:02:11 am »
New Scientist by Donna Lu 11/28/2019

Fibre-optic cables are good for speedy downloads – and for detecting earthquakes.

Nathaniel Lindsey at the University of California, Berkeley, and his colleagues temporarily turned 20 kilometres of existing underwater fibre-optic cables into a row of seismic sensors along the floor of the Pacific Ocean.

The researchers recorded a 3.5-magnitude earthquake and discovered a new fault system off the coast of California.

Fibre-optic cables transmit information in the form of light. An extensive underwater network of these cables connects all the continents except Antarctica and transmits telecommunications data, including telephone and internet traffic.

The researchers used a technique called distributed acoustic sensing, which works by sending pulses of light through the cable and analysing the light that returns to detect slight movements.

“If you start moving a certain portion of the fibre because there’s some seismic wave propagating, you’ll be able to see that seismic wave strain on the cable,” says Lindsey.

More: https://www.newscientist.com/article/2224901-underwater-internet-cables-can-detect-offshore-earthquakes/

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: Underwater internet cables can detect offshore earthquakes
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2019, 05:38:12 am »
That's neat, I don't care who you are!

Nice repurposing of existing tech.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis