Author Topic: Texas judge warned over refusal to perform same-sex marriages  (Read 4559 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Texas judge warned over refusal to perform same-sex marriages
« on: December 03, 2019, 11:55:00 pm »
Texas judge warned over refusal to perform same-sex marriages
By Morgan Phillips | Fox News

A Texas judge received a public warning Monday from the state's Commission on Judicial Conduct for refusing to perform same-sex marriages.

McLennan County Justice of the Peace Dianne Hensley has said her “Bible-believing” Christian conscience did not allow her to perform same-sex weddings and believes she’s entitled to a “religious exemption.” Hensley continues to perform weddings for heterosexual couples.

The order made public Monday said Hensley was violating Texas Code of Judicial Conduct which states, “A judge shall conduct all of the judge’s extra-judicial activities so that they do not cast reasonable doubt on the judge’s capacity to act impartially as a judge,” according to the Waco Tribune-Herald.

Read more at: https://www.foxnews.com/us/texas-judge-warned-over-refusal-to-perform-same-sex-marriages

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
Re: Texas judge warned over refusal to perform same-sex marriages
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2019, 12:55:36 am »
It is a civil ceremony,  with no religious connotations.   There are no grounds for a "religious exemption".
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2019, 01:50:58 am »
It is a civil ceremony,  with no religious connotations.   There are no grounds for a "religious exemption".

When it comes down to the obligations between a man and his God, nothing in life is merely "civil", it all bears witness to the moral fiber of the man and that relationship.

To compel what is morally reprehensible to a man, what goes against the relationship between that man and his Deity, is morally reprehensible in itself, no matter what cloak of civility it is wrapped in.

Find another judge.

How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2019, 02:11:21 am »

It is also a violation of Texas law for any marriage other than one man - one woman.  But then who gives a damn about what the law says.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2019, 03:25:30 am »
from article:
The Texas Justice Court Training Center, which educates justices of the peace, said following the 2015 Supreme Court decision it could not find “any current legal authority which would permit a justice of the peace” to only perform marriages between heterosexual couples.

The center’s executive director Thea Walen said their position has not changed. “If you’re going to perform marriages, you must perform marriages for everyone.”

And the problem has been stated succinctly by this Thea Walen:  there are no limits whatsoever on what constitutes a marriage as everyone must be served, even if a father-daughter, threesomes, monkey and man or whatever the deviants can dream up.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2019, 03:47:13 am »
Texas Constitution

Article 1, Sec 32

Sec. 32.  MARRIAGE.  (a)  Marriage in this state shall consist only of the union of one man and one woman.

(b)  This state or a political subdivision of this state may not create or recognize any legal status identical or similar to marriage. 

https://statutes.capitol.texas.gov/Docs/CN/htm/CN.1.htm

Looks like this judge is following the law.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2019, 05:22:42 am »
When it comes down to the obligations between a man and his God, nothing in life is merely "civil", it all bears witness to the moral fiber of the man and that relationship.

To compel what is morally reprehensible to a man, what goes against the relationship between that man and his Deity, is morally reprehensible in itself, no matter what cloak of civility it is wrapped in.

Find another judge.

@Smokin Joe

I agree. If this judge can't follow the law,Texas needs to kick her ass off the bench,and to even fine her for refusing to obey the law.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Online Smokin Joe

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2019, 05:27:08 am »
@Smokin Joe

I agree. If this judge can't follow the law,Texas needs to kick her ass off the bench,and to even fine her for refusing to obey the law.
Maybe we should revisit a law that places the State on the pedestal God should occupy. Just my #0.02

I get that we need a rule of law, but like the bakers, I's bet those hiding behind their protected status shopped for a judge who would say "no". There are plenty of judges in the world, so why that one?

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2019, 05:53:31 am »
Maybe we should revisit a law that places the State on the pedestal God should occupy. Just my #0.02

@Smokin Joe

Which God,and is he/she/it an American citizen? Old Testament,New Testament,or Saturday Night Fever Testament?

Trot him out and let's have a look and listen.

Online Smokin Joe

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2019, 11:53:27 am »
@Smokin Joe

Which God,and is he/she/it an American citizen? Old Testament,New Testament,or Saturday Night Fever Testament?

Trot him out and let's have a look and listen.
The one who wasted Sodom and Gomorrah will do just fine.

C S Lewis

Offline Idiot

« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2019, 02:58:02 pm »
You are good @Smokin Joe !  I love reading your posts.....

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2019, 04:12:46 pm »

Find another judge.

Or, resign as a judge if one cannot in good conscience follow the law.   I don't fault the judge for her moral viewpoints,  but she should not victimize those citizens of Texas who seek to be married in accordance with the law as it stands.   If she wants to ascend her moral high-horse, then fine,  but her stand on principle should consist of her resignation.     

« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2019, 05:27:12 pm »
Or, resign as a judge if one cannot in good conscience follow the law.   I don't fault the judge for her moral viewpoints,  but she should not victimize those citizens of Texas who seek to be married in accordance with the law as it stands.   If she wants to ascend her moral high-horse, then fine,  but her stand on principle should consist of her resignation.   
Or how about whatever the entity that wished to marry find another judge?

Why is that not a suitable option?
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2019, 05:28:56 pm »

Why should a citizen be forced to shop for a judge who will follow the law?   This isn't, say, Mexico is it?   

« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2019, 05:38:40 pm »
Why should a citizen be forced to shop for a judge who will follow the law?   This isn't, say, Mexico is it?
That certainly does not answer the question.

Do you have a real answer on why that is not a real solution for the entity?

BTW, if you knew about the justice system, shopping for judges is done all the time.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2019, 05:40:27 pm »

@Smokin Joe

That one seems to  have retired hundreds of years ago.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2019, 05:43:43 pm »
Or, resign as a judge if one cannot in good conscience follow the law. 

@Jazzhead

Simple,ain't it? Seems like everybody wants to be a drama queen these days. If you can't in good conscience do the job you were hired to do,QUIT!

I don't fault the judge for her moral viewpoints,  but she should not victimize those citizens of Texas who seek to be married in accordance with the law as it stands.   If she wants to ascend her moral high-horse, then fine,  but her stand on principle should consist of her resignation.

She HAS no principle as valuable to her as her paycheck and position,so fire her ass and replace her with someone that doesn't lie when they take the oath of office.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2019, 05:45:05 pm »

@IsailedawayfromFR

What oath did THEY take that they are violating? Do citizens work for the government,or does government work for the citizens and the rule of law?

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2019, 05:47:18 pm »
That certainly does not answer the question.

Do you have a real answer on why that is not a real solution for the entity?

BTW, if you knew about the justice system, shopping for judges is done all the time.

@IsailedawayfromFR

That is done by lawyers representing guilty clients who hope to find a biased judge that doesn't follow the law him/herself. These people want to get married,and that is legal for them to do so where they live.

« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2019, 05:51:40 pm »
@IsailedawayfromFR

That is done by lawyers representing guilty clients who hope to find a biased judge that doesn't follow the law him/herself. These people want to get married,and that is legal for them to do so where they live.
Be consistent at least.  This board you are hardlining the law be followed.  On another you excuse someone ignorant of the law.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2019, 05:52:40 pm »
Why should a citizen be forced to shop for a judge who will follow the law?

This judge is following the law.  See Article 1, Sec 32 of the Texas State Constitution:

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2019, 05:53:55 pm »
Texas Constitution

Article 1, Sec 32

Sec. 32.  MARRIAGE.  (a)  Marriage in this state shall consist only of the union of one man and one woman.

(b)  This state or a political subdivision of this state may not create or recognize any legal status identical or similar to marriage. 

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2019, 06:05:41 pm »
Be consistent at least.  This board you are hardlining the law be followed.  On another you excuse someone ignorant of the law.

@IsailedawayfromFR

No,you dummy,I did not. On this board I am defending someone operating under the laws,and it is the JUDGE that is breaking the law,and on the other board I am defending someone who had no idea he had been breaking the law for 30+ plus years,and had been living and working in good faith as an American citizen. Even our government thought he was a citizen because he was allowed to enlist in the US Navy,and after that was hired by the Federal Government to be a Customs Agent. If the US Government considered him to be a citizen,WHAT is the justification for prosecuting HIM for thinking he was a citizen?

« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2019, 06:21:59 pm »
@IsailedawayfromFR

No,you dummy,I did not. On this board I am defending someone operating under the laws,and it is the JUDGE that is breaking the law,and on the other board I am defending someone who had no idea he had been breaking the law for 30+ plus years,and had been living and working in good faith as an American citizen. Even our government thought he was a citizen because he was allowed to enlist in the US Navy,and after that was hired by the Federal Government to be a Customs Agent. If the US Government considered him to be a citizen,WHAT is the justification for prosecuting HIM for thinking he was a citizen?
You do realize don't you that one does not have to be an American citizen to serve in the military?  Calling someone a dummy when you do not even know what is permitted?
« Last Edit: December 04, 2019, 06:23:02 pm by IsailedawayfromFR »

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2019, 06:51:52 pm »
@IsailedawayfromFR

No,you dummy,I did not. On this board I am defending someone operating under the laws,and it is the JUDGE that is breaking the law

@sneakypete

Can you please cite this "law" that the judge is breaking?  Thanks.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-