Author Topic: American jobs are getting worse, new economic index shows  (Read 1105 times)

Offline Hoodat

American jobs are getting worse, new economic index shows
« on: December 02, 2019, 11:47:35 pm »
American jobs are getting worse, new economic index shows

By Irina Ivanova
November 27, 2019 / 7:33 AM / MoneyWatch

Although the U.S. is on a record streak for job-creation, many Americans still feel like they can't get ahead — it's not their imagination. The last three decades have seen the economy churn out more and more jobs that offer inadequate pay, a group of researchers found.

"The history of private-sector employment in the U.S. over the past three decades is one of overall degradation in the ability of many American jobs to support households — even those with multiple jobholders," they wrote.

The group wants to popularize a new economic metric, called the Job Quality Index, that goes beyond the usual labor market barometers, which tend to focus on the quantity of employment. To be sure, there has always been plenty of jobs that don't pay well. But, as the index's creators found when crafting their measurement, there is now a growing number of low-paying jobs relative to employment with above-average pay.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/american-jobs-are-getting-worse-according-to-a-new-economic-measure/

Historically, this is the typical effect when nations print more money to finance excessive deficit spending.  It happened in Japan for almost two decades.  It happened during eight years of Obama.  And it is happening now under Trump.  Growth will remain stagnant as long as government continues to suck $1+ trillion out of the economy by stealing value from existing currency.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
Re: American jobs are getting worse, new economic index shows
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2019, 02:45:29 am »
There's this little secret that apparently these unhappy people can't seem to figure out, unhappy with your current job and pay level? IMPROVE yourself, further your education, get training in a technical field, learn a trade and amazing things start to happen, not the least of which is your pay will increase. Unless of course your one of those slackers that believe more pay and benefits should be just handed to you because you FEEL you deserve it.............just because you're special.

EVER SO SPECIAL

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2019, 02:35:58 pm »
Yeah. $60,000 cars, $1,000 phones...staying up with the Jones' likely hurts, not to mention six figure student loans for degrees that don't pay squat.

Sure it's harder to get ahead. Especially if you make bad choices.

It always has been tough if you make bad choices.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2019, 02:37:50 pm »
There's this little secret that apparently these unhappy people can't seem to figure out, unhappy with your current job and pay level? IMPROVE yourself, further your education, get training in a technical field, learn a trade and amazing things start to happen, not the least of which is your pay will increase. Unless of course your one of those slackers that believe more pay and benefits should be just handed to you because you FEEL you deserve it.............just because you're special.

EVER SO SPECIAL
There are likely very few people who will improve their lot with that MS in Gender or Ethnic Studies. Jussayin'

It isn't a case of more education, so much as what it is in.

Better in the trades for quite a few.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline GtHawk

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2019, 08:26:27 pm »
There are likely very few people who will improve their lot with that MS in Gender or Ethnic Studies. Jussayin'

It isn't a case of more education, so much as what it is in.

Better in the trades for quite a few.
I quite agree, there is very good income to be made in the trades and not enough interest because children are lied to about  a college edjumacation being necessary to get a good job. Only a small percentage of all the people that go into debt well above their A$$es actually get jobs in the area of their degrees.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2019, 03:34:25 pm »
This is a hoot, apparently from someone who hasn't been on the job market in a couple decades. The only education and training anyone wants anymore is experience; otherwise, you are screwed. There's no entry level anymore. I learned that the hard way.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline libertybele

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2019, 08:31:21 pm »
This is a hoot, apparently from someone who hasn't been on the job market in a couple decades. The only education and training anyone wants anymore is experience; otherwise, you are screwed. There's no entry level anymore. I learned that the hard way.

That's where volunteering and completing internships in your desired field of work comes in handy.  I am much older than you but I did go back to school about 6 years ago so that I could change fields.  I volunteered during the time I was in school and that volunteer work helped with the experience aspect and I combined that with my previous skill sets from past employment.

It was tough finding a job because of my age and I didn't want an entry level position, but after 9 months, I finally found employment.  I was elated! 
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2019, 09:44:50 pm »
1. Move to where there are better job opportunities
2. CChange professions, if necessary
3. Serve in the military.
 @jmyrlefuller

By the time that I was 7 my folks had moved between 4 states 5 times, and changed professions 3 times.

At the time of that 5th moove, they had 3 children. They had both moved away from their own home states.

Another suggestion for people starting out is to join the military, to let them train, educate you and get experience.

My eldest niece served 12 yrs. in the AF as a broadcast- jounalist (incl Afghanistan, Turkey), so when her 2 kids are grown, she has a profession. She will also have VA benefits for more college/training to. Her vet husband too.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2019, 09:51:43 pm by truth_seeker »
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2019, 11:01:00 pm »
Maybe don't spend $20 a day on lattes?

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2019, 11:23:39 pm »
j myrle wrote:
"The only education and training anyone wants anymore is experience; otherwise, you are screwed. There's no entry level anymore. I learned that the hard way."

You're in upstate New York.

Head over to Buffalo and see about hiring out on the railroad (Norfolk Southern).
Start as a brakeman/conductor, and move up if you wish, but you'll make a lot of money in train/engine service (but you WILL have to "work for it"). And when they tell you to fill out the application in black ink, DON'T use a blue pen -- they'll toss it out and show you the door. The idea is to see if you can follow the rules.

"Entry level"?
One guy who was an engineer a few years ahead of me... went on to become president of the Metro-North [commuter] railroad in NYC.

Another guy who started as a laborer in New Haven, and worked under me as a fireman, went on to become terminal superintendent at my crew base. He might have even gone higher after I retired.

Offline GtHawk

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2019, 11:31:30 pm »
Well it's been less than decades since I was in the job market, but I do know from my experience of two years of job searching that experience doesn't matter a damn bit if you happen to be past the employers determined shelf life.

Offline corbe

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2019, 11:31:48 pm »

Or Geometry, Trigonometry and Calculus.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2019, 06:09:09 pm »
Maybe if you used a little algebra, you would be able to figure out that Social Security is a ponzi scheme headed for collapse.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline corbe

« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2019, 07:26:27 pm »
   I just started to collect and I'll never live long enough to get back what I put in, oh well, @Hoodat
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline berdie

« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2019, 10:02:21 pm »
   I just started to collect and I'll never live long enough to get back what I put in, oh well, @Hoodat

Same here, same here @corbe

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2019, 04:47:04 am »

I am still ten years away.  Yet even at this point, I would forego any 'right' to collect social security if the government would simply give me take the money I would pay in social security taxes for my last working years and invest it instead.  Just on that, I could draw $1.5K a month until age 95.  Social Security is the greatest evil our government has ever perpetrated against us.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-