Author Topic: Texas woman killed by wild hogs in front yard of home: Sheriff  (Read 2976 times)

Online corbe

Re: Texas woman killed by wild hogs in front yard of home: Sheriff
« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2019, 01:59:47 am »
The Beatles ~ Piggies

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline berdie

« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2019, 09:07:15 pm »
and will side step traps.

@berdie   

Hogs/Pigs,are VERY smart,but no creature alive,including mankind is smarter than their stomach. Hogs ain't running around tearing up stuff to get exercise. They are doing it because they are hungry and looking for food. You bait a capture cage with corn,it WILL catch hogs.

BTW,do NOT mistake the traps I am talking about with foot traps. I am talking about large boxes that have a trap door that falls when the hog enters and puts his foot on the lever. The hog is not harmed.

Nope,people hire the pros because it's easier and safer. Still,my father and I used to catch them in capture cages all the time,and within a week he could get in the pen with them and walk around and have them following him looking for corn.

The are just hungry animals trying to keep from starving.

Once again,you have to feed them corn,table scraps,and similar items,and it only takes a couple of weeks of doing this to get rid of the "gamey" taste.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/feral-pigs-roam-the-south-now-even-northern-states-arent-safe/ar-BBY3kGw?li=BBnb7Kz&OCID=DELLDHP

An old topic, I know @sneakypete , but I thought you might find it interesting. Plus, in my neck of the woods, it isn't one or two pigs. A sounder can be 25 or 30.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor

Offline berdie

« Reply #28 on: December 16, 2019, 11:03:21 pm »

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Thanks @Elderberry . But I'm sure that method ain't cheap to obtain the same end result.

I have a lot of city policemen friends that think they are "roughin' it" to come here and shoot pigs. They camp out and I cook them one good meal while they are here. It works well. It's cheap. I'm happy, they are happy and they haul off the meat. I sure don't want it. Now...venison or a few quail is a different story. :laugh:
« Last Edit: December 16, 2019, 11:04:18 pm by berdie »

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #29 on: December 17, 2019, 01:01:11 am »

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/feral-pigs-roam-the-south-now-even-northern-states-arent-safe/ar-BBY3kGw?li=BBnb7Kz&OCID=DELLDHP

An old topic, I know @sneakypete , but I thought you might find it interesting. Plus, in my neck of the woods, it isn't one or two pigs. A sounder can be 25 or 30.

@berdie

I have never seen or heard of a wild hog living alone. They are VERY social creatures,and always run in packs. I suspect the packs where you live are larger than the ones in the area I was talking about,but that is probably because they have more to eat where you live.

Not that it really matters. A wild hog is about as dangerous an animal are you are likely to ever run across in the US.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #30 on: December 17, 2019, 01:08:41 am »
@berdie

Not that it really matters. A wild hog is about as dangerous an animal are you are likely to ever run across in the US.

You are right.   7 or 8 years ago, I cornered and downed one with the 200 lb + tusked creature charging at full boar.  10 yards after second shot.  Little tense I tell ya. 

Seemed to be a rare occurence, they tend to get easily frightened by human interaction.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2019, 01:10:34 am by catfish1957 »
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #31 on: December 17, 2019, 01:44:24 am »
You are right.   7 or 8 years ago, I cornered and downed one with the 200 lb + tusked creature charging at full boar.  10 yards after second shot.  Little tense I tell ya. 

Seemed to be a rare occurence, they tend to get easily frightened by human interaction.

@catfish1957

There may have been piglets hidden nearby. They get testy when there are little ones around.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #32 on: December 17, 2019, 01:51:11 am »
A wild hog is about as dangerous an animal are you are likely to ever run across in the US.

Nope. Griz. Moose even. I would probably say wolverine is nearly worse than any, except they tend to be where folks ain't. Moose is probably the worst.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #33 on: December 17, 2019, 03:35:10 am »
Nope. Griz. Moose even. I would probably say wolverine is nearly worse than any, except they tend to be where folks ain't. Moose is probably the worst.

@roamer_1

Not sure about Moose,but wild hogs are more aggressive than even Grizzly. They also come after you in packs,something bears don't do.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #34 on: December 17, 2019, 03:43:46 am »
@roamer_1

Not sure about Moose,but wild hogs are more aggressive than even Grizzly. They also come after you in packs,something bears don't do.

No, nothing is more terrible than a brown/griz.
What makes moose worse is that if a moose decides he hates you - And who the hell knows why he decides it - He will never change his mind, and he will hate you forever.

I spent 3 days in a tree over a moose, for no reason I was aware of... and eight months later that same dang moose put me up a tree again. Terrible, terrible power. Don't mess with a moose.

But nose to nose, a griz will beat anything on the continent... to include a boar. Those fights were determined a long time ago.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #35 on: December 17, 2019, 03:54:16 am »
No, nothing is more terrible than a brown/griz.
What makes moose worse is that if a moose decides he hates you - And who the hell knows why he decides it - He will never change his mind, and he will hate you forever.

I spent 3 days in a tree over a moose, for no reason I was aware of... and eight months later that same dang moose put me up a tree again. Terrible, terrible power. Don't mess with a moose.

But nose to nose, a griz will beat anything on the continent... to include a boar. Those fights were determined a long time ago.

@roamer_1

I have no doubt about that,but I don't think even a grizzly can beat a pack of wild hogs coming at  him at once. I suspect even a grizzly will recognize this and do his damnedest to avoid that fight. Wild hogs are fierce,fearless,and many of them weigh over 400 lbs.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #36 on: December 17, 2019, 03:58:37 am »
@roamer_1

I have no doubt about that,but I don't think even a grizzly can beat a pack of wild hogs coming at  him at once. I suspect even a grizzly will recognize this and do his damnedest to avoid that fight. Wild hogs are fierce,fearless,and many of them weigh over 400 lbs.

I doubt it. Anything that griz hits is mortally injured... two paws and teeth... It would not take him long to go through a pack.

I think you've never seen a pissed off griz.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #37 on: December 17, 2019, 03:17:30 pm »
I doubt it. Anything that griz hits is mortally injured... two paws and teeth... It would not take him long to go through a pack.

I think you've never seen a pissed off griz.

@roamer_1

You are right,but I HAVE seen a pissed off hog break teeth trying to bite through a cast iron pipe. It took 4 adult men picking up on each end of two pipes stuck through the capture cage slats to pick him up,and all of them were working hard to do it. Don't know how much he weighed because I hesitated to ask him to step on a scale,but he filled the hog capture cage we had made,and he was moving around in it enough to shake a half-ton Ford pu on it's springs,and he must have been at least 6 feet long from snout to tail.

BTW,I understand the area where we used to trap these hogs,whose origins began as escapees from sailing ships in the 1500's and 1600's that either came ashore during hurricanes,or sank off-shore,is not a federally-protected area,and no one is allowed to trap or hunt them now. Game wardens control the size of the packs by culling the herds or by shooting them with darts and neutering them. Used to be the locals handled this by trapping and eating them once there were enough of them to be a problem.

There were also wild horses there that are supposedly Spanish. They got there via ship wrecks/sinking too,and they and the hogs pretty much had the run of the place for a couple of centuries before there were enough people to create any sort of conflict. The "Wild Ponies"  herd is managed now the same way as the hogs,but the truth is none of them has been truly "wild" for more than 100 years. They were just left free to do their thing until somebody needed a horse to pull a cart,and then they would catch one and use it while needed,and then set it free again. The horses and the people lived in peaceful co-existence,and the locals protected the horses and even put out food for them at times. Once horse carts became obsolete,the locals pretty much left them alone unless they ran across one that was sick or injured,and then they tried to help it. I never heard any stories of any locals ever hurting one purposely. Everybody seemed to like them and enjoy seeing them running around.

Offline thackney

« Reply #38 on: December 17, 2019, 03:42:52 pm »
...is not a federally-protected area,and no one is allowed to trap or hunt them now. Game wardens control the size of the packs by culling the herds or by shooting them with darts and neutering them. Used to be the locals handled this by trapping and eating them once there were enough of them to be a problem....

Where is this located?
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #39 on: December 17, 2019, 04:35:26 pm »
Where is this located?

@thanckney

The Outer Banks of NC,but there is another wild horse herd that dates back to the Spanish in Florida time on  Chincoteague Island in Virginia that is MUCH more famous because for decades the local fire department has had an annual roundup and sold off "extra" horses to get the money to care for them as well as to help fund the fire department. I THINK there may have even been a movie about them,but am not sure of it.

I understand the formerly wild area on the Outer Banks where those horses ran is now populated almost entirely with the homes of millionaire yankees who retired there. They even have paved roads,a sheriff's dept,a shopping center,etc,etc,etc there now from what I have been told. Last time I went there the only was was either by boat,or driving over the dunes or on the beach. No roads,no pubic services at all other than electricity and mail delivery. Most of the land up that way was owned by a hunting club that bought up most of the property back in the 1800's. I have been told that some time recently (within the last 20 years or so) the hunting club dissolved as yankees lost all interest in hunting and other non-PC activities,and developers bought it all up. BIG lots with BIG homes right on,or very close to the ocean. Al Gore had a vacation house up there,but I think he was shamed into selling it when he ran for President as an enviro-nut.

Offline thackney

« Reply #40 on: December 17, 2019, 04:44:51 pm »
@sneakypete

Federal marksmen, hunters attempting to eliminate feral swine from fragile Outer Banks habitat
https://www.pilotonline.com/life/wildlife-nature/vp-article-0afc30bc-6a84-11e9-b907-abd15eaf3a33-20190818-qjd6dtvqtzgmhc32pcaljtqlcq-story.html
APR 29, 2019

Hunters, trappers and sharpshooters hope to eradicate feral pigs from the fragile maritime forest habitat on the northern Outer Banks....

...A hunting season allowed in the reserve reduced the numbers by about 40 percent, Webster said. But the population must be reduced by at least 70 percent a year to stay even, Webster said....

- - - - - - - - - -

Hunting in the Outer Banks
https://www.outerbanks.com/hunting.html
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #41 on: December 17, 2019, 05:28:26 pm »
@sneakypete

Federal marksmen, hunters attempting to eliminate feral swine from fragile Outer Banks habitat
https://www.pilotonline.com/life/wildlife-nature/vp-article-0afc30bc-6a84-11e9-b907-abd15eaf3a33-20190818-qjd6dtvqtzgmhc32pcaljtqlcq-story.html
APR 29, 2019

Hunters, trappers and sharpshooters hope to eradicate feral pigs from the fragile maritime forest habitat on the northern Outer Banks....

...A hunting season allowed in the reserve reduced the numbers by about 40 percent, Webster said. But the population must be reduced by at least 70 percent a year to stay even, Webster said....

- - - - - - - - - -

Hunting in the Outer Banks
https://www.outerbanks.com/hunting.html

@thackney

It makes me sad to read this. The hogs were there for a LOT longer than any people were there,and suddenly we are supposed to believe they are dangerous to the environment,and a 12 bedroom ocean front mansion with a swimming pool full of yankee tourists isn't?

I prefer the company of the wild hogs to the company of most yankees. I  used to have a t-shirt I had custom printed that said "We don't give a DAMN about how you used to to it back home."

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #42 on: December 17, 2019, 07:15:48 pm »
You are right,but I HAVE seen a pissed off hog break teeth trying to bite through a cast iron pipe. It took 4 adult men picking up on each end of two pipes stuck through the capture cage slats to pick him up,and all of them were working hard to do it. Don't know how much he weighed because I hesitated to ask him to step on a scale,but he filled the hog capture cage we had made,and he was moving around in it enough to shake a half-ton Ford pu on it's springs,and he must have been at least 6 feet long from snout to tail.

@sneakypete
Right. they're big and badass...  I get it. But you are going up against a critter that can literally crush a bowling ball in his teeth, and can (documented more than once) tear the head off a moose with one blow... And when pissed, has a temper to match. Very aggressive.

Nothing wins against a griz. It is THE undisputed apex predator of North America.

[...]a federally-protected area,and no one is allowed to trap or hunt them now. Game wardens control the size of the packs by culling the herds or by shooting them with darts and neutering them. Used to be the locals handled this by trapping and eating them once there were enough of them to be a problem.

Yeah... federal monkey-farting doesn't work here either, and is greatly resented.

There were also wild horses there that are supposedly Spanish. They got there via ship wrecks/sinking too,and they and the hogs pretty much had the run of the place for a couple of centuries before there were enough people to create any sort of conflict. The "Wild Ponies"  herd is managed now the same way as the hogs,but the truth is none of them has been truly "wild" for more than 100 years.

I have broke similar, back in the day...  I think ours come mainly from Wyoming, but I have heard tell of as far away as Texas, so I really don't know. When the wild herds get too big, they'll have a sale, and quite often a truckload will wind up up here. By and large, the ones I have seen up here look to be mainly out of quarter horse stock, and some short-coupled like a true mustang... but now and then you'll see a mustang showing those spanish/arab lines.

Me, I am fond of Appaloosa. If I had my druthers, I would have a horse ranch raising them Appys. Big boned, thicker in the foot than you'd probably like, but they are as native as can be up in here, and well suited to mountains. When them mustangs come out of northern WY or Idaho, you'll see a lot of Appaloosa stock in em, which is the only tell I have.  :shrug:

Offline berdie

« Reply #43 on: December 17, 2019, 09:29:08 pm »
@sneakypete
Right. they're big and badass...  I get it. But you are going up against a critter that can literally crush a bowling ball in his teeth, and can (documented more than once) tear the head off a moose with one blow... And when pissed, has a temper to match. Very aggressive.

Nothing wins against a griz. It is THE undisputed apex predator of North America.

Yeah... federal monkey-farting doesn't work here either, and is greatly resented.

I have broke similar, back in the day...  I think ours come mainly from Wyoming, but I have heard tell of as far away as Texas, so I really don't know. When the wild herds get too big, they'll have a sale, and quite often a truckload will wind up up here. By and large, the ones I have seen up here look to be mainly out of quarter horse stock, and some short-coupled like a true mustang... but now and then you'll see a mustang showing those spanish/arab lines.

Me, I am fond of Appaloosa. If I had my druthers, I would have a horse ranch raising them Appys. Big boned, thicker in the foot than you'd probably like, but they are as native as can be up in here, and well suited to mountains. When them mustangs come out of northern WY or Idaho, you'll see a lot of Appaloosa stock in em, which is the only tell I have.  :shrug:

There are two things when I look outside that I don't want to see. One is a grizz (or any other type of bear) the other is an alligator. We did have some gators for a while in the lake, but they were escorted away. I don't know what happened to them, lol.

I raised Appaloosas for a while...then paints. And a short stint of Andalusions .

I only have one horse now....old as the hills that I just live out his remaining life. I would never even ride him.

Take care of your top knot! happy77

Offline berdie

« Reply #44 on: December 17, 2019, 09:38:58 pm »
@thackney

I prefer the company of the wild hogs to the company of most yankees. I  used to have a t-shirt I had custom printed that said "We don't give a DAMN about how you used to to it back home."

I want one of those t-shirts @sneakypete !!!

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #45 on: December 18, 2019, 12:26:33 am »
There are two things when I look outside that I don't want to see. One is a grizz (or any other type of bear)

It is funny how that works... A feller gets used to what he grows up with I guess... We have both - griz and blacks... Blacks, even big ones, don't scare me much. As a rule, just one big dog will put a black (and her cubs even) right up a tree. Seldom do they charge and mean it. And a griz will likely avoid you.  Until it don't. There again, a worthy dog. If a griz iz stalking you the dog will know... if the griz is waiting to ambush you, the dog will know. And the dog will take action, albeit sacrificial a lot of times... But at least you are not unaware.

A wise horse will let you know too, even more so a mule (which I also set store by), but their action is less direct and useful... normally balking, and bucking, winding up with you in the dust and them making for the distant horizon... So a dog goes with me... And that is why I prefer a big wolf-malamute which stands a chance of walking away from a bear attack. Bears are naturally adverse to dogs and will tend to avoid them rather than push the point. And everywhere you go in griz country, you are going with a lever gun and a sidearm too. But the dog is the deterrent against most critters if it is big enough to be a threat...

Chewy ain't that. cow dogs just don't measure up. He'd give it a go, no doubt, but he would lose, and dang quick. Same with a cougar. A cougar would call him lunch.

the other is an alligator. We did have some gators for a while in the lake, but they were escorted away. I don't know what happened to them, lol.

Yeah. I don't like gators, or any other thing that might eat you from the water's edge... Which is mighty convenient living up in here. But even here... We had one a while back, in the pond behind Snappy's Sport Center... Evidently it got away from someone and wound up there... Cajuns being rare hereabouts, nobody knew what to do with it, so it met with a rather unfortunate and lingering demise. Too close to everything to shoot it, and nobody knew how to trap it... so it went by way of arrows as I recall.  :shrug: :whistle:

I raised Appaloosas for a while...then paints. And a short stint of Andalusions .

I wrangled and hostle'd all kinds... from million dollar Arabs to common quarter horses, and even spent a bunch of time with Clydesdales... Keeping em and training/driving em. Even on roundup... I was an out rider, shagging the cows down out of the draws (big guy, big horse work), but after that, I was mostly a wrangler... Park me on a cow pony and my boots would be draggin, so all the cutting work was kinda not my style. So I would push the horses and care for em.

But my heart was always with them mountain Appys. 17/18 hands for me... With a mule tagging along hauling gear... That is the deluxe way to travel mountain trails, and I love that more than anything.

I only have one horse now....old as the hills that I just live out his remaining life. I would never even ride him.

Exactly the same for my mother... Horses are long gone, but she keeps her minis and ponies, long past their sell by date... They will likely die there, and Lord willing, so will she.

Take care of your top knot! happy77

:beer: :seeya: