Author Topic: Navy veteran may have been dead in apartment for 3 years  (Read 910 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Navy veteran may have been dead in apartment for 3 years
« on: November 26, 2019, 12:41:42 pm »
San Antonio Express 11/25/2019

DESOTO, Texas (AP) — Doris Stevens’ son, a Navy veteran who traveled the world for work and pleasure, suddenly stopped answering her phone calls in 2016. Stevens said she spent years trying to find out what happened, appealing to authorities to no avail.

Earlier this month, Stevens received a grim answer when maintenance workers found Ronald Wayne White dead on the floor of his apartment in a Dallas suburb. The condition of his body indicated White had been dead for an “extended period,” according to the Dallas County Medical Examiner’s Office, possibly since around the time his mother last heard from him three years ago.

White’s third floor, corner apartment was locked from the inside and there was no odor in the hallway, Schulte said. White appears to have died soon after moving into the DeSoto Town Center Apartments on a month-to-month lease in November 2016, the detective said.

“His mail didn’t pile up. His rent was paid automatically,” Margulies said. “All of the things that would have normally triggered a welfare check just didn’t take place in this situation.”

More: https://www.expressnews.com/news/texas/article/Navy-veteran-may-have-been-dead-in-apartment-for-14862065.php

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
Re: Navy veteran may have been dead in apartment for 3 years
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2019, 01:23:59 pm »
Ah, this is one of my fears. Poor man
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2019, 02:46:28 pm »
One more reason to not use automatic payments...they'd have found him sooner if they'd come looking for the rent.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2019, 04:01:44 pm »
His rent may have been paid automatically,but his water and electricity weren't.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Online berdie

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2019, 10:04:32 pm »
His rent may have been paid automatically,but his water and electricity weren't.

If he traveled...I can see those services being cut off.  But he could want to keep the apartment.

What I don't understand is how his car set out in the parking lot with expired tags and the management didn't get suspicious. Or have the car towed.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2019, 11:38:31 pm »

If he traveled...I can see those services being cut off.  But he could want to keep the apartment.

What I don't understand is how his car set out in the parking lot with expired tags and the management didn't get suspicious. Or have the car towed.

@berdie

There is a lot of truth in the old slogan that states "If you really want to be alone,move to a big city where nobody knows you,and rent an apartment"

I suspect this is more true in the north than it is in the actual south,though. Northerners just seem to be more stand-offish.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Online berdie

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2019, 09:49:38 pm »
I don't know @sneakypete . I'm in Texas...I'm not sure that I wouldn't have raised some kind of alarm even in a rural area.

But I do agree...city people don't pay too much attention. But that is spreading.

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2019, 10:54:26 pm »
The big question is, 'How did he renew his lease every year?'
You have to sign the lease in person.
Also, there is no way the rent stayed the same for three years.

So, he was occupying an apartment without a signed lease, and likely was under paying the rent each month.
It is bizarre that management never sent the maintenance people over to see what's going on?
My last apartment, I couldn't keep maintenance and exterminators out of my hair.
They were in my apartement for one reason or another at least twice a week.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline DB

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2019, 11:07:21 pm »

Most utilities can be setup for automatic payment. All of mine are.

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2019, 11:39:23 pm »
If he traveled...I can see those services being cut off.  But he could want to keep the apartment.  What I don't understand is how his car set out in the parking lot with expired tags and the management didn't get suspicious. Or have the car towed.
@berdie
@Gefn

If he had an assigned parking place and car was there, no one would have questioned it.  Owners of apartment complex would not have checked car plates; they were getting paid so why look at his car?  Car would not have been on the road for cops to see expired plates.

When I lived alone, I had two parking spaces in front of townhouse that were mine.  I owned/own the place, so no mortgage, utilities automatically paid.  I did not go to the solid metal front door after dark if the door bell rang or there was a knock.

The other thing is, mostly seniors live there.  Owners have to know the gate code numbers to get into the small complex of houses.  One night there was a knock at my door.  I didn't go to door.  A bit later, I got a phone call.  It was a couple who live across from me.  They had not seen me for several days, so the wife had come across to my house to see if I was okay.  That is how it is there - seniors look after seniors.  I was the senior medical person if someone had medical trouble since I was an EMT.

@Gefn, how is it where you live in your new place?  Do you have assigned parking, do people get to know each other so someone might check on you if you were not around for a couple or more days?