Author Topic: Ted Cruz vows that Congress will override Trump if he vetoes bill denouncing China’s crackdown in Ho  (Read 848 times)

Offline libertybele

Ted Cruz vows that Congress will override Trump if he vetoes bill denouncing China’s crackdown in Hong Kong

WASHINGTON – President Donald Trump threatened Friday to veto a bill denouncing the crackdown on pro-democracy protests in Hong Kong, citing implications for trade talks with China and boasting that he’s already saved thousands of lives by pressuring Beijing to show restraint.

The stance puts him squarely at odds with Sen. Ted Cruz, a close ally who has traveled to Hong Kong to show solidarity with the anti-government demonstrations, and crusaded for a robust U.S. response.

“We have to stand with Hong Kong, but I’m also standing with President Xi [Jinping],” Trump said on Fox and Friends. “He’s a friend of mine. He’s an incredible guy…. I stand with freedom, I stand with all of the things that I want to do, but we are also in the process of making one of the largest trade deals in history."

Trump insisted that the pressure he’s put on Xi has staved off a military response to the protests.

“If it weren’t for me, thousands of people would have been killed in Hong Kong right now. And you wouldn’t have any riots. You’d have a police state....The only reason he’s not going in is because I’m saying, `It’s going to affect our trade deal, you don’t want to do that,'” Trump said.

On Tuesday, the Senate approved the Hong Kong Human Rights and Democracy Act on a unanimous vote. The House approved it the next day 417 to 1.

In response to Trump’s threat, Cruz vowed that Congress will override any veto.

“President Xi and the Chinese Communist Party cannot silence the United States Congress. In case they aren’t familiar with how our Constitution works, the Hong Kong Human Rights and Democracy Act passed the House and Senate by overwhelming veto-proof majorities and it will become law. This was a true bipartisan moment and a clear signal to the rest of the world that political threats from corrupt regimes will not stand in the way of America supporting the millions of freedom fighters in Hong Kong,” he said.............

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/politics/2019/11/22/citing-trade-talks-with-china-trump-threatens-to-veto-cruz-backed-bill-denouncing-hong-kong-crackdown/
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
Oh, hear we go.  Giving in on principle is not the way to negotiate with dictators.  We just don't do that in America.  No trade deal is worth it.  What immediately came to mind is Trumps former comments on Tiananmen Square.

â€œWhen the students poured into Tiananmen Square, the Chinese government almost blew it. Then they were vicious, they were horrible, but they put it down with strength. That shows you the power of strength. Our country is right now perceived as weak … as being spit on by the rest of the world –”

-Trump

"He's now president for life. President for life. No, he's great," Trump said, referring to Xi.

"And look, he was able to do that. I think it's great. Maybe we'll give that a shot someday," he quipped.

https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/392176-trump-on-xi-being-president-for-life-thats-pretty-good

He's friends with all the dictators.  And today I hear a story that Russia is moving its military forces in right next to ours in Syria.  They say Trump is stealing the oil.

I can't find the story I read today but Russia is accusing the US of illegally smuggling Syrian oil.  I did read today they are setting up base near US troops and the concern was that there could be fighting between Russia and the US.

https://www.newsweek.com/russia-accuses-us-state-sponsored-gangsterism-smuggling-oil-syria-1467944

Here is the story:

Russia Encroaches on U.S. Stronghold in Syria, Threatening Conflict
Following the shakeup from the sudden U.S. retreat, major powers in northeast Syria have bolstered their forces and converged on a strategically critical area.

https://www.usnews.com/news/world-report/articles/2019-11-21/russia-encroaches-on-us-stronghold-in-syria-threatening-conflict

And the point is that Trump was willing to make friends with Erdogan for oil.  Now we are threatened by possible war with Russia in Syria.  What was stable is now unstable and we are being accused of our change in policy for oil wealth.

The same.  He is willing to support dictatorship in China also during bloody uprising for a trade deal.

« Last Edit: November 22, 2019, 08:27:13 pm by Chosen Daughter »
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline Night Hides Not

The bedrock of this nation is freedom. I call this a "hill to die on."
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Offline Night Hides Not

@Chosen Daughter

The same.  He is willing to support dictatorship in China also during bloody uprising for a trade deal.

Distinctly parallels American businesses who sold Japan the materials they needed to bomb Pearl Harbor.

ETA Clintons curried favor, and cash, with the Chinese when they were in the White House.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2019, 08:38:50 pm by Night Hides Not »
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

Offline Absalom

Certainly this impeachment fandango is nothing more than a charade to oust Trump.
Yet this endless fandango has also exposed Trump for what he is and is not.
He correctly whines about the disloyalty of many of his staff; yet the blame for this
rests squarely on his shoulders and for a direct and simple reason.
He cannot judge character in others as he knows neither himself nor his enemies.
Further, a wise Scot asserted, "When business types gather for fun and frolic, it's inevitable
that the conversation will invariably revert to a mechanism about how to raise prices."
The notion that Trump is a cut above those Adam Smith described, is laughable, as he is
no more a Man of Principle than any politico, as his statement on Hong Kong confirms.

Offline LadyLiberty

If he vetoes the bill (which should definitely be signed), the Chinese will see that as kowtowing.

Offline Chosen Daughter

@Chosen Daughter

Distinctly parallels American businesses who sold Japan the materials they needed to bomb Pearl Harbor.

ETA Clintons curried favor, and cash, with the Chinese when they were in the White House.

Sure does.  Both of your posts excellent.  It is easy to see that wealth is the only motivation with Trump.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline Chosen Daughter

Certainly this impeachment fandango is nothing more than a charade to oust Trump.
Yet this endless fandango has also exposed Trump for what he is and is not.
He correctly whines about the disloyalty of many of his staff; yet the blame for this
rests squarely on his shoulders and for a direct and simple reason.
He cannot judge character in others as he knows neither himself nor his enemies.
Further, a wise Scot asserted, "When business types gather for fun and frolic, it's inevitable
that the conversation will invariably revert to a mechanism about how to raise prices."
The notion that Trump is a cut above those Adam Smith described, is laughable, as he is
no more a Man of Principle than any politico, as his statement on Hong Kong confirms.

This is the absolute truth.  He complains but they are rightly challenging him.  He is dangerous in foreign policy and his idea's of what is good in government.  Just those two quotes I posted from Trump show he has no respect for our Republic.  He doesn't know the definition of freedom.  All he sees is money.  Whether or not he is impeached I pray he is not elected for a second term. 

I don't care what people think of me.  I can't stand him.  And for those who believe God put him in this position...…… God gave us free will and he uses everything.  Perhaps he gave us the rope to hang ourselves.  Because Trump is lacking in everything that Jesus is about.  If you cannot support freedom in other countries then certainly freedom is not in our future either under Trump.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
Does Trump really want to go counter to what 99% of the American public, and even what congress supports?

Chicoms are the biggest threat to us.  Let them realize it.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Chosen Daughter

If he vetoes the bill (which should definitely be signed), the Chinese will see that as kowtowing.

True dat!

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
So what exactly is the endgame here? We make these virtuous, spirited, and high minded shows of solidarity, and guess what? The tanks roll into Hong Kong anyway.

Meanwhile, we scuttle the trade deal that would help to put China in check and quit feeding them oceans of cash for their expansionist military policy.

Have we not learned yet that 'bipartisan' support means Dems realize that they can use it to screw the GOP, and Trump?

There isn't jack we can do to help Hong Kong, yet the usuals want to die on that hill, and don't realize they are getting played in the process.
The Republic is lost.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
So what exactly is the endgame here? We make these virtuous, spirited, and high minded shows of solidarity, and guess what? The tanks roll into Hong Kong anyway.

Meanwhile, we scuttle the trade deal that would help to put China in check and quit feeding them oceans of cash for their expansionist military policy.

Have we not learned yet that 'bipartisan' support means Dems realize that they can use it to screw the GOP, and Trump?

There isn't jack we can do to help Hong Kong, yet the usuals want to die on that hill, and don't realize they are getting played in the process.

Okay. I'll play.  Where does it stop?  Taiwan?  Japan?  Just which hill do you fight?  Or as you suggest just let China Tianniman its way throughout the Pacific Rim.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Okay. I'll play.  Where does it stop?  Taiwan?  Japan?  Just which hill do you fight?  Or as you suggest just let China Tianniman its way throughout the Pacific Rim.

It seems self-defeating to engage in high profile political theatrics while we continue to fund that very problem of their military expansionism through our trade policy.

Hong Kong is part of China, not a separate nation with it's own sovereignty that we can actually support. Again I'm nut sure what they think is to be accomplished with this bill.

Does anyone think the Dems don't know what they're doing here? They could make this part of any trade deal, but you and I know they won't do that because they don't want trade policy to change.

They want kill what Trump is trying to do because they'd be happy for China to Tianniman it's way throughout the Pacific Rim. They see this bill as a great wedge to kill any trade deals.
The Republic is lost.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Brave keyboard warriors

Aren't we better off waiting for the CIA and military advice?

Who in the world do you people hink you are, second guessing our career experts?

Our future lies with General Alexander Vindman,Secretary of State Fiona Hill, and AG Adam Schiff.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Night Hides Not

Brave keyboard warriors

Aren't we better off waiting for the CIA and military advice?

Who in the world do you people hink you are, second guessing our career experts?

Our future lies with General Alexander Vindman,Secretary of State Fiona Hill, and AG Adam Schiff.

I saw what you did there.   :rolling:

Besides, "experts" are not to be trusted. This is one of several columns Walter Williams has written on the subject:

https://townhall.com/columnists/walterewilliams/2018/07/25/can-we-trust-experts-n2502775

Albert Einstein predicted: "There is not the slightest indication that nuclear energy will ever be obtainable. It would mean that the atom would have to be shattered at will."

In 1899, Charles H. Duell, the U.S. commissioner of patents, said, "Everything that can be invented has been invented."

Listening to its experts in 1936, The New York Times predicted, "A rocket will never be able to leave the Earth's atmosphere."
« Last Edit: November 22, 2019, 10:17:23 pm by Night Hides Not »

Offline libertybele

This is the absolute truth.  He complains but they are rightly challenging him.  He is dangerous in foreign policy and his idea's of what is good in government.  Just those two quotes I posted from Trump show he has no respect for our Republic.  He doesn't know the definition of freedom.  All he sees is money.  Whether or not he is impeached I pray he is not elected for a second term. 

I don't care what people think of me.  I can't stand him.  And for those who believe God put him in this position...…… God gave us free will and he uses everything.  Perhaps he gave us the rope to hang ourselves.  Because Trump is lacking in everything that Jesus is about.  If you cannot support freedom in other countries then certainly freedom is not in our future either under Trump.

Ok.  If Trump is not re-elected, who are you hoping will get the DEM nomination??  Do you think any of the DEM candidates will honor religious freedom?
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
The Cruz-Menendez legislation should have a super-majority. That China doesn't like it is a good sign. I was a bit unsure what kind of affect this will have. (Edit on: Menendez Cruz bill could be the bill to recognize the Armenian Genocide, hard to keep track of all. That would be a valiant effort as well).

https://twitter.com/SenTedCruz/status/1197607376242827264

Yes, this condemn China bill though should have a super-majority as well. Another foreign policy area where I disagree with Trump.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2019, 01:13:41 am by TomSea »

Offline Night Hides Not

Ok.  If Trump is not re-elected, who are you hoping will get the DEM nomination??  Do you think any of the DEM candidates will honor religious freedom?

The only religion accorded freedom by Democrats is Islam. All of the Democrats are bad...if Trump is not re-elected, it will be HIS fault, HIS responsibility, and no one else's. He has had numerous opportunities to expand his base, yet he only cares about keeping his own troops loyal to him. The Trump base revels in the nonstop attacks he levels against his enemies, real or perceived. You can hear the roars of approval merely by watching his supporters on TBR and TOS.

I tune out when he is ranked as the Greatest President of All Time.

Offline Absalom

The only religion accorded freedom by Democrats is Islam. All of the Democrats are bad...if Trump is not re-elected, it will be HIS fault, HIS responsibility, and no one else's. He has had numerous opportunities to expand his base, yet he only cares about keeping his own troops loyal to him. The Trump base revels in the nonstop attacks he levels against his enemies, real or perceived. You can hear the roars of approval merely by watching his supporters on TBR and TOS.

I tune out when he is ranked as the Greatest President of All Time.
---------------------
Our greatest Presidents ended w/Monroe. Reality!
Trump is a buffoonish narcissist whose 7 word
sentences are only marginally coherent.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2019, 03:08:13 am by Absalom »

Offline Chosen Daughter

No, I am not depending on Democrats or Republicans for religious freedom.  I don't believe for a second that Donald Trump is "Chosen One".  He has already proven by his actions in Syria that he is willing to allow ethnic cleansing of Christians there.  Christianity is global there isn't separatist Christianity.  Trump isn't the modern day Cyrus.  If they were able to take our religious freedom I would praise God for the persecution.  Because the Bible doesn't promise us that we will be loved or that there will be a savior Trump.  It says that we will be hated for our faith.  I am sure that the Christians in Syria are reflecting on that right now because of president Trumps actions.

I depend on God alone for my strength and salvation.  He is who keeps me safe.  And I will praise him for every good or bad thing that happens and look forward to Christ return.

And a little reflection:

We had freedom of religion before Trump, and his political church.

We get our freedom of religion from God and its in our Constitution.  It would be hard for liberals to change the Constitution.  Unless Republicans really lose big.  I mean big.  House and Senate.  I believe this could absolutely be possible because of Trump not the other way around.  At what point will Trump have damaged the party enough that we cannot expect to win seats in either House or Senate?

We fought hard for marriage, but in the end gay rights won.  And we live with it, and its supported by Trump.  I realized a long time ago that government is not Christian although it was founded on Christian principles.  And what we do is what matters to God.  We cannot control whether two men get married.  They are shoving it down our throats and in sense that is Christian persecution, but not even the Christians are putting up a fight now. 

We have to worry about ourselves and our own sins.  This entire world is Godless, and getting more so every day.  Part of the birth pains leading to the return of our Lord.  Allowing politicians to campaign in church does not give me religious freedom.  It only divides Christians according to politics.

Here is something for you to think about:

McConnel has said that the Senate will never impeach.  We had a chance to raise another candidate to challenge Trump but now its too late in at least two states.  Others approaching the deadline.  So we go into campaign season with impeachment trial looming.  Most Americans even a good number of Republicans believe that Trump did those things.  I just saw data. 

https://currently.att.yahoo.com/news/in-new-poll-most-voters-think-trump-committed-abuses-but-are-split-on-impeachment-224437655.html

We know that some would follow him right to hell, but others probably won't.  I am sure that a good chunk of Republicans probably just wont vote.  Myself probably one of them.  Because Trump is just that offensive to me.  So as we go into campaign season we are stuck with Trump and his problems.  If he gets elected I won't be happy.  If he doesn't I won't be happy either.   It is what it is.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2019, 02:48:37 am by Chosen Daughter »

Offline Chosen Daughter

@libertybele

Trump Hurting Religious Freedom Worldwide With Refugee Cuts, Evangelical Leaders Say

https://www.christianpost.com/news/trump-hurting-religious-freedom-worldwide-refugee-cuts-evangelical-leaders.html

The Deepening Crisis in Evangelical Christianity
Support for Trump comes at a high cost for Christian witness.
July 5, 2019
Peter Wehner
Contributing writer at The Atlantic and senior fellow at EPPC

Yuri Gripas / Reuters

Link Copied

Last week, Ralph Reed, the Faith and Freedom Coalition’s founder and chairman, told the group, “There has never been anyone who has defended us and who has fought for us, who we have loved more than Donald J. Trump. No one!”

Reed is partially right; for many evangelical Christians, there is no political figure whom they have loved more than Donald Trump.

I recently exchanged emails with a pro-Trump figure who attended the president’s reelection rally in Orlando, Florida, on June 18. (He spoke to me on the condition of anonymity, so as to avoid personal or professional repercussions.) He had interviewed scores of people, many of them evangelical Christians. “I have never witnessed the kind of excitement and enthusiasm for a political figure in my life,” he told me. “I honestly couldn’t believe the unwavering support they have. And to a person, it was all about ‘the fight.’ There is a very strong sense (I believe justified, you disagree) that he has been wronged. Wronged by Mueller, wronged by the media, wronged by the anti-Trump forces. A passionate belief that he never gets credit for anything.”

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2019/07/evangelical-christians-face-deepening-crisis/593353/

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
It pains me to say it,but I'm with Cruz on this one.

The freaking Chinese define evil,and they need to be kept on a leash.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Chosen Daughter

It pains me to say it,but I'm with Cruz on this one.

The freaking Chinese define evil,and they need to be kept on a leash.

:thumbsup:

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Chosen Daughter

@Chosen Daughter

Well,sooner or later we HAD to agree on something.

Its a good thing to agree on.