Author Topic: More than 120 journalists still jailed in Turkey: International Press Institute  (Read 224 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
More than 120 journalists still jailed in Turkey: International Press Institute

ISTANBUL (Reuters) - More than 120 journalists are still being held in Turkey’s jails, a global record, and the situation of the media in the country has not improved since the lifting of a two-year state of emergency last year, a global press watchdog said on Tuesday.

Turkey declared a state of emergency soon after a failed coup in 2016. It sacked or suspended 150,000 judges, academics, military officers, civil servants and others during the two years it was in force on suspicion of backing a U.S.-based cleric blamed by Ankara for the coup. More than 77,000 people were jailed pending trial.

Hundreds of journalists have faced prosecution since the coup, mainly on terrorism-related charges, the International Press Institute (IPI) said in a new report, adding the number of journalists still in jail had fallen from a high of over 160.

Read more at: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-turkey-security-media/more-than-120-journalists-still-jailed-in-turkey-international-press-institute-idUSKBN1XT26T

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Save room for the lawyers.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline dfwgator

I think Trump is getting a little too chummy with Erdogan for my comfort.