Author Topic: Britain ignores UN deadline to cede control of Chagos Islands  (Read 319 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Britain ignores UN deadline to cede control of Chagos Islands
« on: November 22, 2019, 01:24:34 pm »

LONDON (DPA) - Britain rejected a claim by Mauritius over the Chagos Islands on Friday (Nov 22), six months after the United Nations said London should end its "colonial administration" of the Indian Ocean territory.

The UN General Assembly voted in May to ask Britain to hand over the islands within six months to allow Mauritius to complete "decolonisation" of its territory.

Mauritian Prime Minister Pravind Jugnauth said the passing of the six-month deadline makes Britain an illegal colonial occupier of the islands, the BBC and other media reported.

More at: https://www.straitstimes.com/world/europe/britain-ignores-un-deadline-to-cede-control-of-chagos-islands?utm_term=Autofeed&utm_campaign=sttw&utm_medium=social&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1574427746

Or slightly different?:

Whether these are the islands or island in question, I don't know but it looks beautiful.

So, I wonder where this is going and why this might not be in the news more.  I'll bet most people haven't heard about this including me just until a short time ago.

Addendum: But the Brits let us have a base there? And that base is the somewhat known Diego Garcia?? This is all interesting and that would be our base or co-base, however it is.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-11-10/pressure-grows-on-britain-to-return-its-last-african-colony
« Last Edit: November 22, 2019, 01:38:52 pm by TomSea »

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Re: Britain ignores UN deadline to cede control of Chagos Islands
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2019, 01:57:05 pm »
In 1966, the UK leased the US the remote, 17-square-mile Indian Ocean island of Diego Garcia.
Diego Garcia is now a key US military base in the region, and it is used as a launchpad for Air Force missions in the Middle East.
About 5,000 service members and contractors are based on Diego Garcia, which has a bowling alley, a burger bar, and stores.
The British government evicted thousands of islanders from their homes on Diego Garcia and the surrounding area to make way for the base.
The UN's top court recently ruled that the British illegally gained possession of the island in 1965, placing the future status of the base in doubt.

https://www.businessinsider.com/photos-diego-garcia-air-base-indian-ocean-2019-8
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline PeteS in CA

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2019, 03:50:52 pm »
Looks to me like Maldives, Sri Lanka, India, and Indonesia have a better claim on the Chagos, based on geographic proximity. Somehow I suspect shutting down or milking $$ from the US base on Diego Garcia underlies this kerfuffle.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2019, 05:05:56 pm »
What does it matter? In less than twelve years the world as we know it is going to end and most of those islands will be under water...........the word according to Greta

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2019, 05:10:18 pm »
Mauritian Prime Minister Pravind Jugnauth......

The Brits have a base on Mars?????

Wasn't that Prime Minister dood a major player in one of the Star Wars movies? The name sounds familiar.

Who knew?
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2019, 05:54:52 pm »
Looks to me like Maldives, Sri Lanka, India, and Indonesia have a better claim on the Chagos, based on geographic proximity. Somehow I suspect shutting down or milking $$ from the US base on Diego Garcia underlies this kerfuffle.

Who decided that it was not legally owned by Britain?

Could dozens of "nations" named pogo, toga, ponga, ponga...get together and vote to take Catalina Island, from California, to hand over to Indians?

You know there is a movement to do that with Hawaii ?
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline PeteS in CA

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2019, 06:14:17 pm »
From knowing, in the late 80s, a couple of P-3C pilots, I knew Diego Garcia was a base used by the USN for anti-submarine patrols in the Indian Ocean, but the base is much more extensive. USAF bombers and refueling aircraft fly out of DG, and there seems to be a submarine base there, too.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2019, 06:15:04 pm by PeteS in CA »
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2019, 06:18:00 pm »

Good!  Damn good in fact!  Wish more nations would tell the UN to go pound sand including this one.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien