Author Topic: What's going on with Firefox Mozilla?  (Read 1712 times)

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
What's going on with Firefox Mozilla?
« on: November 22, 2019, 12:22:33 am »
I can't be the only one having problems. I click on a link to go to my VA prescription refill page,for instance,and can't put a check mark in the boxes,and nothing happens when I click on links.

Now I am even having trouble typing messages sometimes because no matter what key I hit,it loads a different letter or number. Sometimes I can "fix" this by rebooting,and sometimes I just have to shut the computer down and come back to it later.

BTW,I can open notepad and type anything I want on it with no typos or misplaced letters and numbers. I am now restricted to writing my replies to this forum on Notepad,and then copying and pasting it here.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Re: What's going on with Firefox Mozilla?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2019, 12:42:23 am »
My Firefox kept on crashing all the time, so I just recently loaded an ESR(Extended Support Release) version.

Maybe you could try that.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2019, 01:40:07 am »
I can't be the only one having problems. I click on a link to go to my VA prescription refill page,for instance,and can't put a check mark in the boxes,and nothing happens when I click on links.

@sneakypete
Go find a list of your addons and list them here...

That sounds like an adblocker or script blocker....

Is it ONLY on your vet site? Because if it is, that may e a problem with the site, and not your problem at all

Now I am even having trouble typing messages sometimes because no matter what key I hit,it loads a different letter or number. Sometimes I can "fix" this by rebooting,and sometimes I just have to shut the computer down and come back to it later.

That is weird. Is this a computer or a tablet or a phone? Win7/8/10/Apple/Droid?

BTW,I can open notepad and type anything I want on it with no typos or misplaced letters and numbers. I am now restricted to writing my replies to this forum on Notepad,and then copying and pasting it here.

Well yes and no... Text is a different interpreter... Try Word or WordPad (win+R =>Write  =>Enter)

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2019, 02:05:08 am »
@sneakypete

I am about to go off for the evening... SO,
IF THIS IS A WINDOWS MACHINE:

If you are sure it is FF giving you the problem, you can do this - Though I have to warn you: this WILL get rid of all your addons, and most of your settings, to include accessibility settings... Any of that will need to be set up over again. But it should not mess with your bookmarks, passwords, home page and such.

This will reset FF to factory spec. if this does not fix it, then we either have an external problem, or your FF profile needs to be rebuilt.

Do this:
Press ALT a few times and watch the top of the FF window. See how it allows a menu to appear?

So mash ALT for the menu
Help => Troubleshooting Information

In the top right corner of the resulting page, poke 'Refresh Firefox' And follow the process.

Got joy?

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2019, 02:10:15 am »
I've had trouble over the years with FF only to have clearing the cache to fix it..but nothing like your problems..

TBR works well with FF in fact I and the developers recommend it.

btw I did what roamer suggested a couple of years ago and did a reset of FF...took me a few days to get everything set up again the way I like it...

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/reset-preferences-fix-problems
« Last Edit: November 22, 2019, 02:13:33 am by mystery-ak »
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2019, 03:25:00 am »
@sneakypete
Go find a list of your addons and list them here...

That sounds like an adblocker or script blocker....

Is it ONLY on your vet site? Because if it is, that may e a problem with the site, and not your problem at all

That is weird. Is this a computer or a tablet or a phone? Win7/8/10/Apple/Droid?

Well yes and no... Text is a different interpreter... Try Word or WordPad (win+R =>Write  =>Enter)

@roamer_1

It's on my computer,and it comes and goes. Had the computer shut down for a couple of hours,and when I booted it back up,everything is working normally. Sometimes rebooting works,and sometimes it doesn't. I do admit I ran both Zone Alarm and System Mechanic just before I shut it down. ZA didn't find anything new today,and System Mechanic just found the usual crap.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2019, 06:10:48 am »
@roamer_1

It's on my computer,and it comes and goes. Had the computer shut down for a couple of hours,and when I booted it back up,everything is working normally. Sometimes rebooting works,and sometimes it doesn't. I do admit I ran both Zone Alarm and System Mechanic just before I shut it down. ZA didn't find anything new today,and System Mechanic just found the usual crap.

Dunno what from that @sneakypete ... If you are pretty sure it is confined to FF, and don't have any addons bolted on that might be causal (Adblock/scriptblock/txt editing) then do the reset as noted above and see if it helps.

If it don't, then it is confined to something wrong in your profile for FF, which is a little more cumbersome to fix (save all your bookmarks and such and rebuild the profile from scratch... importing stuff back in afterwards). Let me know.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2019, 06:14:19 am »
Dunno what from that @sneakypete ... If you are pretty sure it is confined to FF, and don't have any addons bolted on that might be causal (Adblock/scriptblock/txt editing) then do the reset as noted above and see if it helps.

If it don't, then it is confined to something wrong in your profile for FF, which is a little more cumbersome to fix (save all your bookmarks and such and rebuild the profile from scratch... importing stuff back in afterwards). Let me know.

@roamer_1

Thanks for the advise,but I still have chemo brain,and there is no way I am going to tackle all that when I have so much trouble remembering anything. As long as I can type in notepad and then cut and paste,that's what I am going to do.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2019, 06:18:07 am »
@roamer_1

Thanks for the advise,but I still have chemo brain,and there is no way I am going to tackle all that when I have so much trouble remembering anything. As long as I can type in notepad and then cut and paste,that's what I am going to do.

@sneakypete
You could also use Chrome or IE/Edge... This is a pretty trusted site.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2019, 09:49:04 am »
@sneakypete
You could also use Chrome or IE/Edge... This is a pretty trusted site.

@roamer_1

Don't trust Chrome or Edge,although I have to use one or the other of them to order meds from the VA pharmacy.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2019, 12:19:43 pm »
Firefox acted a bit erratically for me yesterday.

The best way I could describe it would be "choppy",  say compare to radio reception and one might say the reception was "choppy", kind of difficult to describe.

Offline PeteS in CA

« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2019, 02:54:58 pm »
Is Edge finally "ready for primetime"? When I first got this Win10 computer (2017) it was awful. I tried it again early this year and it was better, but I had to shut it down and reopen it every few days. Here at home I use Vivaldi, which was developed from Chromium.

Even when downloading a new browser is easy getting things like bookmarks 'n' such set up takes a while.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2019, 05:00:36 pm »
Is Edge finally "ready for primetime"?

@PeteS in CA

It doesn't matter because the computer geeks that work for the VA chose to build their VA web page on Edge,so you either use Edge or Google Chrome,or you can't check on your appointments or refill your prescriptions because the boxes you need to click are not there for you to click unless you use Chrome or Edge. Since I  have no choice I use Edge for the VA,and for nothing else.

I am not a computer geek and I have better things to do with my time than learning new software. Mozilla has always worked for me,I semi-understand it,want to keep it if possible.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2019, 08:56:20 pm »
@roamer_1

Don't trust Chrome or Edge,although I have to use one or the other of them to order meds from the VA pharmacy.

@sneakypete

That is probably because the site is old and written in java. FF quit java support, but the other two still do. It could also be Flash based, which if that is the case, there is a flash plugin for Firefox.

I know, btw, I don't trust em either My main cruise is with FF, but if I have to do something FF won't do, I ain't a bit bashful about using the others.

For instance, my cell is a droid. The easiest way to get web content into my phone for text purposes (cat pics, Epstein memes and such) is to use Messages for the Web(M4W) with a browser in my pooter. Messages for the Web ties my pooter to my phone messaging, so my texts come right up in the browser...

Now, I am already hard core spied on with that dang phone. And what I do with Google. in my mind, should stay with Google. Will Messages for the Web work with FF? Sure. But I don't need FF tracking me too... So if I am going to use texting from my laptop, I am gonna turn on Chrome and run M4W in that, leaving FF free of it for my normal surfing. And when I shut off Chrome, all that promiscuity just goes away.

I am also pretty heavily involved with Microsoft for business purposes. But when I am in the Microsoft sphere, I will be in Edge. I bring that up, it goes right to MSN, and all my Microsofty happy crap is available from there. When I am done, Edge goes off, and I resume my real surfing with Firefox.

Never the twain shall meet.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2019, 09:13:30 pm »
Firefox acted a bit erratically for me yesterday.

The best way I could describe it would be "choppy",  say compare to radio reception and one might say the reception was "choppy", kind of difficult to describe.

That could be anything from wireless/bandwidth choking to your machine doing maintenance or some other busy work. It may not be FF messin up at all.

I find FF to be pretty much rock-solid. Sure, like anything, it can get a problem. In that case, my profile is backed up, so I can literally reset, or uninstall/reinstall FF, and be up again in minutes with little or no loss. And I have been a Mozilla fan since Netscape 3.08, clean back in the Win3x days, and that with very little trouble.

The key thing is to be constantly backing up your profile so you can restore it from any of multiple iterations. That for me, was simply moving the profile to where my regular backup program can get at it.

And I would be happy to help all y'all with that if there is interest. It ain't all that hard.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2019, 09:14:38 pm by roamer_1 »

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2019, 09:20:33 pm »
Is Edge finally "ready for primetime"? When I first got this Win10 computer (2017) it was awful. I tried it again early this year and it was better, but I had to shut it down and reopen it every few days. Here at home I use Vivaldi, which was developed from Chromium.

Even when downloading a new browser is easy getting things like bookmarks 'n' such set up takes a while.

Edge is alright... Kinda meh. The main problem with it is that it really means to shove you into the MS camp... Whether you like it or not. Like I said elsewhere on this thread, I don't mind that for stuff within the MS sphere. But I would not want to use it for real surfing. Just jiggering it to be nice enough to use was a chore. That bossy ol thing can stay off most of the time.