Author Topic: 4 lawyers running to replace longstanding 19th District Court judge in Waco  (Read 448 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
KCENTV by  Jasmin Caldwell 11/21/2019

Judge Ralph Strother is being forced to retire due to age. Now, four lawyers are vying to be his replacement.

WACO, Texas — Four lawyers are vying to replace Ralph Strother, the longstanding judge for the 19th District Court in Waco.

Strother was told he would be forced to retire due to age. He's recently made headlines with his involvement in the Baylor fraternity rape case and the Twin Peaks trials.

The first forum in the contested 19th judicial court race started off with a bang Thursday.

"I’ve tried 120 jury trials," criminal defense attorney Thomas West said. "I’ve been in the battles, I've been in the fire, I know what has to happen. In trials you have to make split second decisions."

West along with Former Army lawyer Michael Flynn, Waco assistant city attorney Kristi DeCluitt and criminal defense attorney Susan Kelly each explained to a crowd at the McLennan County Republican luncheon why they were fit to replace the outgoing judge.

"I have trained ordinary citizens, college and law students, police officers and lawyers on everything from fundamental principles of law to the ethical standards required in the field of law,” Kelly said.

There are about 2,500 pending federal indictment cases in McLennan County, and all four candidates agree this is the single biggest issue in the race.

More: https://www.kcentv.com/article/news/local/4-lawyers-running-to-replace-longstanding-19th-district-court-judge-in-waco/500-44789d8e-14e7-4e3d-a954-c9d1ff0f31de