Author Topic: 2 million Americans don’t have access to running water and basic plumbing  (Read 1551 times)

Offline libertybele

This is a travesty -- I blame some of this on the 'slumlords' (such as Jared Kushner) who don't provide running water or proper sanitation within the dwellings. I truly feel for these people and it is an outrage.

I however, have a hard time feeling sorry for people who don't work and expect free water.  Water is not free. You have to sink a well/septic system or connect to a municipality.  I also blame the high cost that municipalities charge.  In my area it costs over $20,000.00 to connect to city water and sewer and on top of that those that have well/septic are expected to pay to have those terminated.

Those that are here illegally I find little empathy or sympathy.

2 million Americans don’t have access to running water and basic plumbing

More than 2 million people in the U.S. lack running water and basic indoor plumbing, according to a new report by the human-rights nonprofit DigDeep and the nonprofit U.S. Water Alliance — and race and poverty are key determinants of who has access to clean water and sanitation.

Native Americans are 19 times more likely to lack indoor plumbing than their white counterparts, putting them in the worst spot of any group, and African-American and Latinx households lack indoor plumbing at almost twice the rate of white households, the report found.

“The United States is home to some of the most reliable water and wastewater systems on earth, and many Americans believe access is universal,” the authors wrote. “But in fact, millions of the most vulnerable people in the country — low-income people in rural areas, people of color, tribal communities, immigrants — have fallen through the cracks.”.........

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/2-million-americans-dont-have-access-to-running-water-and-basic-plumbing-2019-11-20?mod=home-page
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline PeteS in CA

Native Americans are 19 times more likely to lack indoor plumbing than their white counterparts, putting them in the worst spot of any group, and African-American and Latinx households lack indoor plumbing at almost twice the rate of white households, the report found.

Given that Native Americans are a significant part of this alleged racial/racist mix, it should be pointed out that many reservations are VERY rural. And there are many blacks and Latinos living in similarly rural areas, away from "running water" and "basic" plumbing. IOW, "slumlord" are not the main cause of what the "report" calls out.

Given the usage of "Latinx" in this "report" - very Prog-woke - I suspect that the home I grew up in, connected to a well and to a leach field might, might not qualify for their definition of '"running water" and "basic" plumbing'. Unless they saw that my parents and I are "white". Beware of Progs spouting statistics.

ETA: I should have read farther in the quote above:

“But in fact, millions of the most vulnerable people in the country — low-income people in rural areas, people of color, tribal communities, immigrants — have fallen through the cracks.”

Yeah, not many slumlords - named Trump or any other family name - owning and renting out land in the Hupa Valley Reservation.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2019, 03:34:55 pm by PeteS in CA »
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
"Deep Dig"   :whistle:
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline goatprairie

Given that Native Americans are a significant part of this alleged racial/racist mix, it should be pointed out that many reservations are VERY rural. And there are many blacks and Latinos living in similarly rural areas, away from "running water" and "basic" plumbing. IOW, "slumlord" are not the main cause of what the "report" calls out.

Given the usage of "Latinx" in this "report" - very Prog-woke - I suspect that the home I grew up in, connected to a well and to a leach field might, might not qualify for their definition of '"running water" and "basic" plumbing'. Unless they saw that my parents and I are "white". Beware of Progs spouting statistics.

Yeah, not many slumlords - named Trump or any other family name - owning and renting out land in the Hupa Valley Reservation.
In 1962 I spent a week on a farm. A neighborhood friend of mine's father died, and his mother remarried a farmer. One summer I was invited to come out and spend a week there.
The farm didn't have indoor plumbing. We used chamber pots and outhouses. I have no idea when they finally got indoor plumbing.
And like me, the farm family members were all white.
Nevertheless, life seemed pretty good for them. I did find out I wasn't suited for farm life/work.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2019, 06:45:30 pm by goatprairie »

Online roamer_1

The farm didn't have indoor plumbing. We used chamber pots and outhouses. I have no idea when they finally got indoor plumbing.

I have lived hillbilly style, with composting toilets and rain catchment water...

Nothing wrong with either one... clean, hygienic, and largely better than the alternatives.

Online roamer_1

I however, have a hard time feeling sorry for people who don't work and expect free water.  Water is not free. You have to sink a well/septic system or connect to a municipality.

...And YES, water IS free.

As is waste management.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2019, 07:32:45 pm by roamer_1 »

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"

I have an idea for them.

"Move."

Offline DB

And what percentage of those choose that life style?

Life is full of choices. Our choices have a high level of determining our living conditions. Should people not be free to make these choices because that's the implication?

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

And what percentage of those choose that life style?

Life is full of choices. Our choices have a high level of determining our living conditions. Should people not be free to make these choices because that's the implication?

Exactly.  The rest of the country is not morally obligated to run water to every square inch of the country in which someone else chooses to live.  If water is that big an issue for you -- and I imagine it isn't for some people because it is a choice -- then move somewhere where there is potable water and plumbing.

I have a cousin who lives in a very rural area of Vermont.  He has no running water, plumbing, or electricity by choice.  In fact, he could move further down the hill on which he lives to get it, but he likes the remoteness of where he is.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2019, 08:04:37 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.

I have a cousin who lives in a very rural area of Vermont.  He has no running water, plumbing, or electricity by choice.  In fact, he could move further down the hill on which he lives to get it, but he likes the remoteness of where he is.

Is he related to Theodore J. Kaczynski?     :smokin:

Online roamer_1

A hat tip to the gent who chooses to be unplugged.   :beer:

Offline Wingnut

A hat tip to the gent who chooses to be unplugged.   :beer:

unplugged?  That is one way to put it.  He better watch his top knot.

Online roamer_1

unplugged?  That is one way to put it.  He better watch his top knot.

Yep. The townies and the regulators will be after him, for sure.

:laugh:

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
My mom once sold a house back when I was in elementary school or junior high school that had no bathrooms. It had an outhouse in the back and used chamber pots inside and washing bowls inside.

It was a very old house built around 1800 or so but the plumbing was, as I understood it at the time, just from that era. It did have electricity because my sister and I asked if they had a TV and we were told they had a black and white one.

My mom has a washing bowl and jug from the 1700s she bought at an antique store but it’s in the china cabinet. It’s really beautiful.
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

Is he related to Theodore J. Kaczynski?     :smokin:

Heh...I'll just say that he's extremely well-armed.  Fun to go visit and blow off lots of ammo.

Vermont is a schizophrenic state.  There is a substantial population of rural, very conservative people, then a majority of effete leftist urbanites.  But the former are the reason Bernie hasn't been as extreme on gun control as are some of the other Democrats.   Those people have a lot of guns but really don't bother anyone else, so Bernie kind of "gets it".  For those people, there isn't a cop within an hour so they're on their own.

Seems like that shouldn't be possible in a state that small, but the mountains really limit the road network.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2019, 03:02:10 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Online roamer_1

Heh...I'll just say that he's extremely well-armed.  Fun to go visit and blow off lots of ammo.

Vermont is a schizophrenic state.  There is a substantial population of rural, very conservative people, then a majority of effete leftist urbanites.  But the former are the reason Bernie hasn't been as extreme on gun control as are some of the other Democrats.   Those people have a lot of guns but really don't bother anyone else, so Bernie kind of "gets it".  For those people, there isn't a cop within an hour so they're on their own.

Seems like that shouldn't be possible in a state that small, but the mountains really limit the road network.

You've just described most of rural America... The backwoods make it more extreme and distinct, but if you are a farmer in the great Midwest, you too are probably beyond the reach of law and order in a pinch... And the pinch is where it matters.

In fact, with response times  far beyond any capability of real aid, the urban and suburban life simply promote a lie... We are ALL on our own.

Offline LadyLiberty

Several years ago I toured the Taos Pueblo.  Our guide, a young woman who was a member of the tribe and a college student, said that members of the tribe were allowed to live in the pueblo, but if they did they were required to live just as they did years ago with no modern conveniences.   The only exception to the rule was that they were allowed to have a propane tank, but they had no electricity or indoor plumbing.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Spend years and years resisting development, then complain why there is no infrastructure. It's hypocrisy.

I mean, if you want water that bad, drilling a well isn't hard, except in the desert.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline verga

In 1962 I spent a week on a farm. A neighborhood friend of mine's father died, and his mother remarried a farmer. One summer I was invited to come out and spend a week there.
And like me, the farm family members were all white.
Nevertheless, life seemed pretty good for them. I did find out I wasn't suited for farm life/work.
I moved into Virginia 14 years ago. Parts of my county are VERY rural. About 20% of the families didn't have  "running water" The number is is now down to around 11-12%. for many this is a choice. Many of these families have never left the county. The last person to be out of the county for any length of time was Great Grandpa fighting the war of Northern Aggression.
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline libertybele

Exactly.  The rest of the country is not morally obligated to run water to every square inch of the country in which someone else chooses to live.  If water is that big an issue for you -- and I imagine it isn't for some people because it is a choice -- then move somewhere where there is potable water and plumbing.

There is something to be said for living completely off the grid.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline berdie

I had family that never had the "conveniences" . I never minded visiting...but I don't think that I would  want to have that as an every day fife. A lot of people don't care...good for them. When I look at my monthly expenses, I get it..but I'm pretty wimpy.

Texas voted a couple of years ago on installing running water/etc. down in south Tx by the border. Not sure if it passed, and I was pretty divided about it.

Online roamer_1

I mean, if you want water that bad, drilling a well isn't hard, except in the desert.

Well yeah... Better have a sock full of money. I am on the valley floor, and when I looked into a well, it was going to be between 5-8k with a fair guarantee... Get out of town very far and elevations go way up, which means drilling costs do too - exponentially... and guarantees go way down... it is crazy money to get a well up in the sticks. And them folks are far less likely to be able to afford it than most.

Digging a surface well is a way better bet, if surface water is available... If it ain't catchment is dang near free other than the tanks... Save all the water off the cabin, barn, Machine shed, and shop roofs and pump it up the hill a ways, to a serious underground storage, and let gravity give it back to you...

You would be surprised how much water that is. And after the investment in tanks and piping, which is nearly all permanent, the only part that can fail is the pump (and pump periphery)... And it can all be done with a low volume solar pump. Seen it done a hundred times.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2019, 09:37:09 pm by roamer_1 »

Online roamer_1

There is something to be said for living completely off the grid.

I have done it, and can do it... But that is a very hard way. The reason it is hard is because subsistence off the land is largely illegal. And with the lack of income that comes with off-grid, there is no money for property taxes, and groceries, when you need em, come hard.

There is a happy medium however... Where you are close enough to town to have internet, where electricity is available when needed, but you are basically running independent of it... Where propane or nat gas is available to run fridges and freezers...

But that is a tough line to keep. You need SOME form of reasonable income, and you must produce even though commuting costs are high. But with that you get reliability, much less reliance on self if you get bunged up, and enough money around to support the greatest need off grid - A tractor.

Online roamer_1

I had family that never had the "conveniences" . I never minded visiting...but I don't think that I would  want to have that as an every day fife. A lot of people don't care...good for them. When I look at my monthly expenses, I get it..but I'm pretty wimpy.

I do not believe you.  :laugh:
 :beer:

Offline berdie

Well...being able to do without and being o.k. with the long term are two different things, lol. I really like having a potty and running water inside. And if I ever get truly surly on this board it's because for some reason I don't have hot water for a shower. :laugh:

But I salute your tolerance! @roamer_1  888sunglass