Author Topic: Salvation Army Fires Back After Chick-fil-A Ends Partnership with the American Charity  (Read 3069 times)

Offline Slide Rule

Something is definitely wrong in this world if the Salvation Army is classified as a hate group.

I've told this story before:  My Dad didn't ordinarily trust any  charity,-- he said they were all crooks -- but when he served during WWII, both the Salvation Army and the Red Cross would come around with cigarettes, toiletries, socks and such.  The difference between the two charities was that the Red Cross charged the soldiers for their supplies, while the SA gave them away for free.  I also happen to know that along with these goods, the SA gave counsel, comfort and support to young GIs like Dad far from home. 

Dad always gave SA high praise for their work.  So I continue to give to the Salvation Army whenever I can in Dad's memory.  I'd like to see someone give me evidence that the Salvation Army qualifies as a hate group.

I was co chairman and the following year chairman of the United Way program for a company of some
4,000 employees. I worked hard both years and we met the goals established for our company. My year
as leader experienced a office workers strike. Still we met the number.

My dad mentioned his experience when he was in the military and says much the same thing as charging
servicemen for coffee and smokes. I heard the same when I went around speaking to all the departments
in my company. Dad was a medic in W Virginia, helping the worst cases of injury in their recovery. Men
who were hanging on to the barest thread of life.

It was a poor decision to ask servicemen for their meager earnings. Piss poor and since I have refrained
from such giving. I survived the consequences. You should too.
White, American, MAGA, 3% Neanderthal, and 97% Extreme Right Wing Conservative.

Recommended

J Boswell, The Life of Samuel Johnson
E Burke, Reflections on the Revolution in France
N Davies, Europe: A History
R Feynman, The Feynman Lectures on Physics
R Penrose, The Road To Reality & The Emperor's New Mind
K Popper, An Open Society and Its Enemies & The Logic of Scientific Discovery
A Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago, & Everything he wrote

Offline verga

I never knew this about the Salvation Army. I always give about $5 to them plus my loose change to all the Bell ringing Santa Clauses.
They are very prolific in our area and my wife and I write them a check every year. I told her that in addition to that I set a goal of putting $1 in every kettle I pass this year.
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline mountaineer

I suppose each chapter is operated differently, depending on who is in charge.  Where I live, the SA is very proactive in many ways. 
Indeed. The SA does very many good things all over the country. It's just in my community where they seem to have lost their focus.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline mountaineer

Franklin Graham just posted to Facebook:
Franklin Graham
19 mins ·

Has Chick-fil-A caved? Some are saying they’ve rolled over, that they’ve conceded to the LGBTQ protests because they released a statement about their charitable giving. They announced that in 2020 they’re giving to fight hunger and homelessness and support education. What’s wrong with that?

I picked up the phone and called Dan Cathy. Dan was very clear that they have not bowed down to anyone’s demands, including the LGBTQ community. They will continue to support whoever they want to support. They haven’t changed who they are or what they believe. Chick-fil-A remains committed to Christian values. Dan Cathy assured me that this isn’t going to change. I hope all those who jumped to the wrong conclusion about them read this.

In my opinion, the gay movement wouldn’t ever be happy with Chick-fil-A unless they were open on Sunday, gave all of their charitable donations to LGBTQ organizations, and flew the rainbow flag over their stores! Their hatred for Chick-fil-A is rooted in founder Truett Cathy’s strong stand for biblical “traditional” values and his desire to honor God.

No fast food chain does a better job. I went through the drive-thru at Chick-fil-A yesterday morning, and I thought I might get dinner there—but a whole lot of other people had the same idea! A Chick-fil-A sandwich with waffle fries sounds really good right now!
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Applewood

@mountaineer

Haven't been a fan of Rev. Graham lately, but in this case, he's right.  Too bad he didn't get his chicken sandwich and waffle fries. 

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
Here in Philly,  the bluest of blue cities,  the Liberty Square food court is a cluster of fast food eateries that get little traffic and turn over frequently.   Except for Chick-fil-A.   If I don't get there at 11:30,  the line stretches 30 deep for lunch.   Everyone, it seems,  loves their chicken sandwich and waffle fries.   
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
Here in Philly,  the bluest of blue cities,  the Liberty Square food court is a cluster of fast food eateries that get little traffic and turn over frequently.   Except for Chick-fil-A.   If I don't get there at 11:30,  the line stretches 30 deep for lunch.   Everyone, it seems,  loves their chicken sandwich and waffle fries.   

@Jazzhead I didn’t know there was a Chick-fil-A in Philly. I like going in to see the museums there and it’s good to know where to eat.
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Applewood

In our local mall, ropes were installed at the Chick-fil-A concession much like a bank to keep the line in order around lunch time.  Used to be there were so many people, you couldn't just walk through.  The other fast food concessions in the food court don't have that problem.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
@Jazzhead I didn’t know there was a Chick-fil-A in Philly. I like going in to see the museums there and it’s good to know where to eat.

There's also a Chick-fil-A at the airport (near Terminal B, I believe).   I don't know of any Chick-fil-As in the Pennsy suburbs near Philly,  but there are several in New Jersey,  including one across from the Cherry Hill mall.   I ate there last Saturday -  and there were at least 15 cars in the drive-through line.   

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
There's also a Chick-fil-A at the airport (near Terminal B, I believe).   I don't know of any Chick-fil-As in the Pennsy suburbs near Philly,  but there are several in New Jersey,  including one across from the Cherry Hill mall.   I ate there last Saturday -  and there were at least 15 cars in the drive-through line.

The closest one to me was the one in the Quaker Bridge Mall. It’s gone. I’m looking forward to the one they are building in Edison but for now I have to go to Woodbridge for my chicken fix.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
In our local mall, ropes were installed at the Chick-fil-A concession much like a bank to keep the line in order around lunch time.  Used to be there were so many people, you couldn't just walk through.  The other fast food concessions in the food court don't have that problem.

Yup.   That's how they do it at the Liberty Square food court.  It's almost comical to see the other restaurants with employees walking around in front of their empty counters offering free samples,  while the line at Chick-fil-A is like halftime at a Sixers game.   

Offline Idiot

Franklin Graham just posted to Facebook:
Glad to hear a clarification from Mr. Graham as I was going to refrain from going to CFA. 

As was mentioned earlier, Samaritan's Purse is a great organization as is the Salvation Army.  We have a local charity that supports our local homeless that is a fantastic organization...Love and Care Ministries. 

http://www.lcmin.com/

Tomorrow, a huge portion of our city will show up and donate shoes, clothes, you name to this wonderful organization.  Most of our local churches support this effort as well.

I'm thinking about  a chicken sandwich for lunch.  happy77

Offline mrclose

My preferred charity is Samaritan's Purse.

And the head of that organization says:

https://www.facebook.com/FranklinGraham/?hc_location=ufi

"Hell is empty, all the devil's are here!"
~ Self

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Glad to hear a clarification from Mr. Graham as I was going to refrain from going to CFA. 
Why would you do that?

Seems you are relying upon hearsay previously to make your decisions.

Did you hear something directly from CFA that caused you to make your mind up other than they were simply making decisions on its charitable giving?

Is it your belief that if someone stops donating to a charity that means one does not like that charity or disagrees with it or could it mean simply that finite resources are allocated differently?
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Why would you do that?

Seems you are relying upon hearsay previously to make your decisions.

Did you hear something directly from CFA that caused you to make your mind up other than they were simply making decisions on its charitable giving?

Is it your belief that if someone stops donating to a charity that means one does not like that charity or disagrees with it or could it mean simply that finite resources are allocated differently?
After deciding that MDA made millions every year from biker sponsored events, we decided that the group we rode with would raise money for local charities and Toys for Tots at the SA. Half went to toys, the rest, in smaller lots, went to local charities where a little would make a big difference. We never regretted that choice. If you wanted to give to MDA, you could, and small grants became big deals locally. 
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline roamer_1

One of my favorite ways to give started with a buddy of mine. He was a hopeless drunk, and his wife and kids were hurting for basic things... Daddy drank or gambled his paycheck away every time...

So when I visited, I would hide hundred dollar bills where I knew the woman would find them... In the flour, under the knife block on the counter, in her recipe cards... You know the deal.

Never felt better about giving than that right there... REAL money, directly to those who need it, but anonymously so I don't get the credit... It has become a signature move for me.

Many years later, after my buddy had reformed and started to fly right, she recounted those awful hard days at a gathering as we were all sitting around the fire... And how every time she was at her wits end, she would find a crisp hundred dollar bill somewhere, and how that really got them through.

And there I was, receiving the best sort of thanks there is.

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
All this talk on chicken sandwiches. I’m going to Popeyes for lunch today.

All this talk on chicken sandwiches. I’m going to Popeyes for lunch today.
Hope you survive
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

thx for post.

Goodwill is a real shocker.

How can this remain a charity?

Offline Applewood

@The Ghost

Thank you for that chart.  People should know the good guys and the bad guys. 

About the United Way:  Years ago, one of the local head honchos here was caught embezzling money for his personal use.  Apparently, similar incidents have occurred in other cities too.  I worked for several employers over the years and they were all heavily involved with United Way.  Each would try to pressure me into giving, but I refused.  My brother's employer had an unwritten rule:  if you don't give, you can forget about a raise or promotion.  To me the United Way and the employers who participate are one big extortion racket.

@The Ghost

About the United Way:  Years ago, one of the local head honchos here was caught embezzling money for his personal use.  Apparently, similar incidents have occurred in other cities too.  I worked for several employers over the years and they were all heavily involved with United Way.  Each would try to pressure me into giving, but I refused.  My brother's employer had an unwritten rule:  if you don't give, you can forget about a raise or promotion.  To me the United Way and the employers who participate are one big extortion racket.
I agree totally.  Same happened at the company I worked for which eventually went under as this became more important to them than making money.

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
@The Ghost

One company I worked for wanted your pledge card turned into HR so the money would be deducted from your next scheduled pay period.  Screw that mess.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline AllThatJazzZ

• Adopt your next pet, preferably a senior.
Let's Take a Closer Look at the Pro-LGBT Group Chick-Fil-A Will Now Be Funding: Mat Staver Responds

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

A government big enough to give you everything you want
is a government big enough to take away everything you have.

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Let's Take a Closer Look at the Pro-LGBT Group Chick-Fil-A Will Now Be Funding: Mat Staver Responds

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1
Well, I have never tried a Chic-fil-a sandwich, and may never. There isn't one in my area, and when I have been on the road and seen one I don't eat much, because it means fewer stops.
If it is true, what the interviewee said, the only reason for this shift is to expand into new markets, not because the company desperately needed to cave to keep from going broke.

How sad it is that many who are given much when they follow The Almighty, then turn from Him and His teachings and lose that prosperity.

In the meantime, I'll send the Salvation Army my 'chicken sandwich' budget...I think they'll put it to better use.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis