Author Topic: The Latest: Democrat Edwards reelected governor of Louisiana  (Read 1041 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
The Latest: Democrat Edwards reelected governor of Louisiana
« on: November 17, 2019, 04:01:35 am »
The Latest: Democrat Edwards reelected governor of Louisiana
 Posted: Nov 16, 2019 / 09:08 PM EST   / Updated: Nov 16, 2019 / 10:56 PM EST   

BATON ROUGE, La. (AP) — The Latest on the Louisiana governor’s election (all times local):

10:55 p.m.

Louisiana Gov. John Bel Edwards will keep his job as the Deep South’s only Democratic governor, in a blow to President Donald Trump, who tried to boost his opponent.

On Saturday, voters narrowly reelected Edwards to a second term, snubbing Republican businessman Eddie Rispone deep in the heart of Trump country.

Read more at: https://www.counton2.com/news/national-news/the-latest-louisiana-polls-close-in-tight-governors-race/

For a Democrat, he said he'd sign some very pro-life legislation. I assume he did... so a Democrat in Louisiana isn't like a Democrat in most of the rest of the USA. Still.

And these are projections right now but I'd think they will hold up. A close race.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/louisiana-governor-race-results-john-bel-edwards-eddie-rispone
"Louisiana Gov. John Bel Edwards leads GOP challenger Eddie Rispone with most runoff votes counted"

« Last Edit: November 17, 2019, 04:05:13 am by TomSea »

Offline Hoodat

Re: The Latest: Democrat Edwards reelected governor of Louisiana
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2019, 04:10:38 am »
If the Republicans had put up a candidate who wasn't a crook, they would have won.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline corbe

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2019, 04:21:23 am »

Forget it, @Hoodat it's Louisiana, the only State Gov's more corrupt, IMHO, are Illinois, California and perhaps NJ and Massachusetts thrown in for good measure.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline LilLamb

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2019, 04:29:30 am »
If the Republicans had put up a candidate who wasn't a crook, they would have won.

Rispone screwed us up by splitting the vote in the primary. Abraham would have won against Edwards. Edwards ran a dirty smear campaign and Democrats turned out the hate Trump vote. I’m sick right now.
"When you can't make them see the light, make them feel the heat."  Ronald Reagan

Offline montanajoe

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2019, 05:26:04 am »
Hmmmm...

Maybe that MAGA thingy should be changed to MADA Make America Dim Again... :whistle: :shrug:

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2019, 05:46:33 am »
Hmmmm...

Maybe that MAGA thingy should be changed to MADA Make America Dim Again... :whistle: :shrug:

OK, you went and said it.  I was thinking the same thing.  There was never an answer to Democrats taking the house either.  Democrats are polling ahead of Trump too.  This could be a total disaster. 
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2019, 05:47:17 am »
Hmmmm...

Quote from: article
  He hitched his entire candidacy to Trump, introducing himself in ads that focused on support for the president.

We are seeing the same in Alabama, as much butt smooching of Trump that is humanly possible. I am not sure it is a winning game plan some think it is.
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Offline LilLamb

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2019, 07:43:57 am »
We are seeing the same in Alabama, as much butt smooching of Trump that is humanly possible. I am not sure it is a winning game plan some think it is.

I think President Trump campaigning in Louisiana actually helped Rispone.  The main problem, as I see it, was that Rispone had no legislative record to run on and it felt like a crap shoot to vote for him. He doesn’t have the personality that inspires people to get excited about voting for him. He made a lot of Republicans mad because he split the Republican vote in the primary. I wish that Trump would have endorsed Abraham in the primary. 

It’s unsettling that in the next race on the down ticket for Secretary of State, Kyle Ardoin won it with 59% of the vote, so there was a lot of ticket splitting and/or vote manipulating involved.

"When you can't make them see the light, make them feel the heat."  Ronald Reagan

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2019, 08:06:29 am »

Forget it, @Hoodat it's Louisiana, the only State Gov's more corrupt, IMHO, are Illinois, California and perhaps NJ and Massachusetts thrown in for good measure.

I think La. has them all beat.  From Huey Long, to Edwin Edwards who responded to a 60 minutes interview about his marital infidelity.....    "Some politicians like to kiss da babies....   I like kissin da mama's."

I also saw some first hand jaw dropping dealings between regulators, LEO's, politicans, and businessmen about 40 years ago that I only beleived happened in movies.  I am sure some of these crooks are still alive, so I will keep quiet, but it sure opened this naive kid's eyes of what the legend of La. corruption really meant.  If interested, PM me Corbe, and I'll give you some examples.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2019, 02:22:25 pm by catfish1957 »
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2019, 01:51:13 pm »
This is called the 'Landrieu' effect.

Orleans Parish is typically the last place where precincts tally occurs in the state.

Controlled by the Dems, it looks to see how many more votes are needed to secure a statewide victory, then manufactures enough to get it.

Nothing stands in the way, as I recall a judge once keeping Orleans polling sites open past scheduled closing time in order to procure those votes.

Yesterday Orleans Parish voted 89.8% for Edwards.  https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2019/11/16/us/elections/results-louisiana-general-elections.html

Sickening big city corruption.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2019, 02:05:44 pm »
I think President Trump campaigning in Louisiana actually helped Rispone.  The main problem, as I see it, was that Rispone had no legislative record to run on and it felt like a crap shoot to vote for him. He doesn’t have the personality that inspires people to get excited about voting for him. He made a lot of Republicans mad because he split the Republican vote in the primary. I wish that Trump would have endorsed Abraham in the primary. 

It’s unsettling that in the next race on the down ticket for Secretary of State, Kyle Ardoin won it with 59% of the vote, so there was a lot of ticket splitting and/or vote manipulating involved.

Sometimes the candidate just sucks, and it has nothing to do with POTUS.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2019, 02:29:42 pm »
It's news when a Dim gets elected in Louisiana?
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2019, 02:31:23 pm »
Hmmmm...

@montanajoe

I am sure that would make you very happy.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2019, 02:31:39 pm »
This is called the 'Landrieu' effect.

Orleans Parish is typically the last place where precincts tally occurs in the state.

Controlled by the Dems, it looks to see how many more votes are needed to secure a statewide victory, then manufactures enough to get it.

Nothing stands in the way, as I recall a judge once keeping Orleans polling sites open past scheduled closing time in order to procure those votes.

Yesterday Orleans Parish voted 89.8% for Edwards.  https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2019/11/16/us/elections/results-louisiana-general-elections.html

Sickening big city corruption.

Same thing in Illinois, Cook County (Chicago) out votes the rest of the state.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2019, 02:53:13 pm »
Louisiana Gov. John Bel Edwards wins reelection in second straight loss for Trump-allied GOP candidate
by Naomi Lim
 | November 16, 2019 11:00 PM

Democratic Gov. John Bel Edwards beat Republican challenger Eddie Rispone, a close ally of President Trump, to win a second term.

The nail-biting race Saturday, called by the Associated Press for Edwards, pitted a popular moderate incumbent — the only Democrat in a governor's mansion in the Deep South — against a Republican challenger vociferously backed by Trump in a state where only five former chief executives can boast about winning reelection.

With 3,776 of 3,934 precincts reporting and votes still being counted, Edwards had 734,671 votes (51%) compared to Rispone's 715,659 (49%), according to the Louisiana secretary of state's office.

While Edwards, 53, sought to distance his campaign for a second term from national politics, the matchup with Rispone, 70, was seen by onlookers as a referendum on Trump and Democratic-led impeachment proceedings in the House. That narrative was pushed by the president himself during one of his two visits to the conservative bastion in as many weeks to stump for Rispone, a fellow businessman and political newcomer. His trips coincide with the start of the impeachment investigation's public hearings.

more
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/louisiana-democratic-gov-john-bel-edwards-wins-reelection-in-second-straight-loss-for-a-trump-allied-gop-candidate
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34