Author Topic: "The contest cannot in its essence exist"  (Read 907 times)

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
"The contest cannot in its essence exist"
« on: November 14, 2019, 05:31:20 pm »
So wrote A. Bartlett Giamatti about cheating. If only his eloquence could have stuck.
By Yours Truly
https://throneberryfields.com/2019/11/13/the-contest-cannot-in-its-essence-exist/

A. Bartlett Giamatti, as president of the National League, 1987-88.

Boys will be boys, but now and again we’re reminded that that doesn’t always excuse them when they mistake crime for high spirits. Come to think of it, baseball got one whale of a reminder in 1987, when the president of the National League found himself unamused about cheating with an appeal placed in front of him.

Phillies pitcher Kevin Gross was caught with sandpaper in his glove, surely not for on-the-spot glove repair, then ejected from the game and suspended ten days. Gross appealed the suspension, but A. Bartlett Giamatti found nothing appealing about it.

And Giamatti handed down a ruling he swore he worked as hard on formulating as he did any scholarly exegesis while he was the president of Yale University. Within that ruling—he upheld Gross’s suspension—the future (and tragically short-lived) commissioner laid down the law.

What Giamatti wrote about one pitcher with a piece of sandpaper can apply to part or even all of a team flouting the rules against deploying high technology, rather than on-the-field gamesmanship, to steal opposition signs.

There were those who thought as the New York Times‘s sports columnist George Vecsey once observed, that Giamatti as president of the National League was “the nutty professor on sabbatical.” What did they think about Gross and his representatives causing his appeal hearing to last five hours and include “exhibits of considerable breadth, two entailing nearly one thousand notations,” as Giamatti recorded at the beginning of his ruling?

Gross and the Players Association claimed the ten-day suspension was “excessive.” Giamatti observed that Rick Honeycutt and Hall of Famer Gaylord Perry had been awarded ten-day drydockings for foreign things in the glove but that Gross and his representatives, conveniently or otherwise, didn’t include those in their mass of exhibits.

In due course, Giamatti told The New Yorker‘s Roger Angell why he approached his Gross appeal ruling with the kind of effort by which he laboured his writings and thinkings at Yale, where his academic specialty was Dante. “It was challenging,” Giamatti told Angell, “to try to be clear about cheating and what it meant, and to be fair at the same time.”

Challenge met with success. You can read the entire ruling in A Great and Glorious Game: Baseball Writings of A. Bartlett Giamatti. Here, though, is the critical point therein. Acts of cheating, Giamatti wrote in denying Gross’s appeal, are . . .

not the result of impulse, borne of frustration or anger or zeal as violence is, but are rather acts of a cool, deliberate, premeditated kind. Unlike acts of impulse or violence, intended at the moment to vent frustration or abuse another, acts of cheating are intended to alter the very conditions of play to favour one person. They are secretive, covert acts that strike at and seek to undermine the basic foundation of any contest declaring the winner—that all participants play under identical rules and conditions. Acts of cheating destroy that necessary foundation and thus strike at the essence of a contest. They destroy faith in the games’ integrity and fairness; if participants and spectators alike cannot assume integrity and fairness and proceed from there, the contest cannot in its essence exist . . . Cheating is contrary to the whole purpose of playing to determine a winner fairly and cannot be simply contained; if the game is to flourish and engage public confidence, cheating must be clearly condemned with an eye to expunging it.

Substitute “one team” for “one person.” Now you get why the Astros caught running a high-tech sign-stealing operation in 2017, against the rules prohibiting such operations, sent baseball, its fans, and its observers into the proverbial tizzy, after a former Astro in position enough to know (pitcher Mike Fiers) blew the whistle on and the covers off the Astro Intelligence Agency.

Reality check: The Astros—or whomever among them created their AIA—aren’t the only such electronic thieves, merely the latest to be caught red Octobered. If you ask whether Astrogate taints their run of three American League West titles and two pennants, you might also ask why a team that great, with as forward-thinking an organisation as theirs, needs technocheating in the first place.

These Astros are sharper than chefs’ knives at the plate and in the field. They exploit the slightest opposition mistakes with minds over matter. Tip your pitches? They sautee you. Slip out of position? They broil you. Hang a breaking ball? They slice, dice, and puree  you. They needed to take up high-tech heisting about as badly as Superman needed a gym membership.

Further reality check: When Giamatti rejected Gross’s appeal, he wasn’t foolish enough to ignore that cheating was (and is) baseball’s oldest sub-profession. Neither was Giamatti naive enough to believe denying one pitcher caught, frisked, arraigned, indicted, and convicted would put cheating in its grave.

Placed in the appropriate position, he could and did demonstrate that at least one baseball official could and did pronounce officially, when the case presented itself, that fair was supposed to be fair. Given the chance to take a stand and make it stick, for however long, Giamatti took the stand with firm eloquence. Saying, essentially, “If not now, then when?”

Unfortunately, even baseball’s most lyrical thinker this side of Sparky Anderson couldn’t make it stick. Neither could a Hall of Famer writing a syndicated newspaper column in 1926 who understood, and enunciated in plain English, the distinction between on-field sign-decoding and off-field high- or even low-tech espionage:

There is another form of sign stealing which is reprehensible and should be so regarded. That is where mechanical devices worked from outside sources, such as the use of field glasses, mirrors and so on, are used . . . Signal-tipping on the fields is not against the rules, while the use of outside devices is against all the laws of baseball and the playing rules. It is obviously unfair.

That was Ty Cobb. Whose reputation as the dirtiest most rules-be-damned player of his era came mostly from one writer whose Cobb-ographies have been debunked completely. If beyond-the-playing-field technological theft was bad enough for Cobb, it should be bad enough for us.

What Cobb called “obviously unfair” is obviously cheating. The Dante scholar who grew up to become president of the National League and baseball’s commissioner should have the last word on cheating, so far as anyone who genuinely loves the game should be concerned. Should but probably won’t. Unlucky us.
-------------------
@Polly Ticks
@AmericanaPrime
@catfish1957
@corbe
@Cyber Liberty
@DCPatriot
@dfwgator
@EdJames
@Gefn
@The Ghost
@goatprairie
@GrouchoTex
@Jazzhead
@jmyrlefuller
@Mom MD
@musiclady
@mystery-ak
@Right_in_Virginia
@Sanguine
@skeeter
@Skeptic
@Slip18
@Suppressed
@SZonian
@truth_seeker

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline Polly Ticks

Re: "The contest cannot in its essence exist"
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2019, 05:52:20 pm »
Well said, friend.
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2019, 06:18:14 pm »
Well said, friend.
@Polly Ticks

Couldn't find a hug, so this'll have to do . . .
 :kisses2:

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2019, 06:25:47 pm »
@Polly Ticks

Couldn't find a hug, so this'll have to do . . .
 :kisses2:

Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2019, 09:59:03 pm »
Reality check: The Astros—or whomever among them created their AIA—aren’t the only such electronic thieves, merely the latest to be caught red Octobered. If you ask whether Astrogate taints their run of three American League West titles and two pennants, you might also ask why a team that great, with as forward-thinking an organisation as theirs, needs technocheating in the first place.

These Astros are sharper than chefs’ knives at the plate and in the field. They exploit the slightest opposition mistakes with minds over matter. Tip your pitches? They sautee you. Slip out of position? They broil you. Hang a breaking ball? They slice, dice, and puree  you. They needed to take up high-tech heisting about as badly as Superman needed a gym membership.

@EasyAce

This is one of the things that is driving me crazy about the whole fiasco.

Today, the Atlantic has another article, this one is saying Alex Cora, now the Red Sox manager, and Carlos Beltran, now the Mets manager, were the main perpetrators in the Astros organization.

I was a little shocked by that news.

When the Red Sox and Astros met in 2018, they were both a bit paranoid of each other, which, if the Cora/Beltran story turns out to be true, we can see why.

Apple made watches and center-field cameras, whistling in dugouts and banging on trash cans,(these are a few of my favorite things  :cool:) it's all a bit much.
It would make a good novel, but sometimes truth is stranger than fiction.

I wonder when the next shoe will drop, or which organization that shoe will belong to?
« Last Edit: November 14, 2019, 10:00:59 pm by GrouchoTex »

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2019, 11:23:36 pm »

@EasyAce

This is one of the things that is driving me crazy about the whole fiasco.

Today, the Atlantic has another article, this one is saying Alex Cora, now the Red Sox manager, and Carlos Beltran, now the Mets manager, were the main perpetrators in the Astros organization.

I was a little shocked by that news.
Either the main perps or aiders and abetters. We should know soon enough who really birthed the scheme. The article also mentioned A.J. Hinch himself.

And the word now is that Brandon Taubman is lawyering up.

When the Red Sox and Astros met in 2018, they were both a bit paranoid of each other, which, if the Cora/Beltran story turns out to be true, we can see why.
I'm haunted now by something I read when Cora was hired to manage the Red Sox and finally joined the team after the 2017 World Series---that he'd told the Red Sox about their 2017 division series (the Astros won in four games), "You guys were easy to game plan against---too many bad takes." Meaning, of course, the Astros observing the Red Sox hitters weren't as sharp at the plate as they should have been. But did it stop the Astros from a Candid Camera episode, so to say, anyway?

Apple made watches and center-field cameras, whistling in dugouts and banging on trash cans,(these are a few of my favorite things  :cool:) it's all a bit much.
It would make a good novel, but sometimes truth is stranger than fiction.
Would you believe there was once a team that used the telescopic sight of a high-powered hunting rifle to steal signs?

I was prowling around for more about sign-stealing and discovered that was the 1940 Tigers' technique: pitcher Tommy Bridges, on the day after he pitched a game, showed infielder Pinky Higgins, his hunting buddy, the scope from his new-ish hunting rifle and how it could work and took him into the upper deck in old Briggs (Tiger) Stadium to demonstrate. The Tigers put the technique to work promptly. No less than Hall of Famer Hank Greenberg admitted and described the scheme in his eventual memoir. You shiver a little at the thought that maybe Bridges kept the scope attached to the rifle and pointed toward the plate from that upper deck seat!

When Bob Buhl and Joey Jay got caught stealing signs for the 1960 Braves from the Wrigley Field bleachers, they had binoculars and would relay the signs they deciphered by wiggling their scorecards a la Connie Mack using his scorecard to position his defenses once upon a time.

I wonder when the next shoe will drop, or which organization that shoe will belong to?
It could end up belonging to several more beyond the Astros. From the look of it baseball's investigators are going to talk to several teams. Just how many isn't really known now.

And it might not be a shoe but a boot.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2019, 11:25:24 pm by EasyAce »

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2019, 11:30:52 pm »
@GrouchoTex

If someone makes a documentary on the Astros called Bang the Can Slowly, this could be the theme song:

Cameras in outfields, TV near the dugout
Bats in the belfry bang cans on the changeup
Whistling high liners for scoreboards to ring
These are a few of my favourite things . . .

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2019, 12:03:20 pm »
@GrouchoTex

If someone makes a documentary on the Astros called Bang the Can Slowly, this could be the theme song:

Cameras in outfields, TV near the dugout
Bats in the belfry bang cans on the changeup
Whistling high liners for scoreboards to ring
These are a few of my favourite things . . .

Easy@Ace
That's brilliant, LOL

(My favorite real life version is John Coltrane's, but I've always had a soft spot for the Sound of Music, my word, that voice on Julie Andrews!I think I had a childhood crush.)

As done in the style of the Beatles "Taxman":

"Cause it's the trash can, yeah-eah, it's the trash can

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2019, 04:05:01 pm »
Easy@Ace
That's brilliant, LOL

(My favorite real life version is John Coltrane's . . .)
@GrouchoTex
Mine too!

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

As done in the style of the Beatles "Taxman":

"Cause it's the trash can, yeah-eah, it's the trash can
:beer: