Author Topic: Three major-league managers are connected to Astros’ sign stealing  (Read 879 times)

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
By Ken Rosenthal and Evan Dillich
https://theathletic.com/1376638/2019/11/13/three-major-league-managers-are-connected-to-astros-sign-stealing/

Major League Baseball’s investigation into the Astros and sign stealing is virtually certain to include interviews with three current managers — the Astros’ AJ Hinch, the Red Sox’s Alex Cora and the Mets’ Carlos Beltrán.

Hinch was the Astros’ manager in 2017, and sources said both Cora and Beltrán played a key role in devising the sign-stealing system the team used that season. The Astros stole signs electronically, according to pitcher Mike Fiers and three other sources inside the organization at the time, violating major league rules. The Athletic reported the news of the Astros’ rule-breaking on Tuesday.

Cora was the team’s bench coach in ’17; Beltrán was a designated hitter and outfielder in the final season of a 20-year career that might result in his election to the Hall of Fame. Multiple sources said they were not the only members of the team who participated in the Astros’ scheme that season . . .

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Online Polly Ticks

Re: Three major-league managers are connected to Astros’ sign stealing
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2019, 05:24:21 pm »
Subscribers only.  :(
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2019, 05:36:03 pm »
Subscribers only.  :(
@Polly Ticks
Damn! Forgot about that one.

The excerpt from The Athletic pretty much gives the gravamen, but try this---

Report: Red Sox manager Alex Cora, Mets' Carlos Beltrán implicated in Astros sign-stealing scheme

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2019, 05:36:43 pm »
@Polly Ticks

p.s. I love your new avatar but your Braves hat is missing!  wink777

Online Polly Ticks

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2019, 05:45:06 pm »
@Polly Ticks

p.s. I love your new avatar but your Braves hat is missing!  wink777

Thanks for the other link - I was curious if any of those named had provided a statement.

Yeah, the Braves hat avatar was making my jonesing all that much worse, so I retired it for now.  It will be back around February-ish when spring training kicks in!   :laugh:
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2019, 05:46:48 pm »
Thanks for the other link - I was curious if any of those named had provided a statement.

Yeah, the Braves hat avatar was making my jonesing all that much worse, so I retired it for now.  It will be back around February-ish when spring training kicks in!   :laugh:
@Polly Ticks

S'matter, you never heard of the Hot Stove Season?  :silly:

Online Polly Ticks

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2019, 05:52:04 pm »
@Polly Ticks

S'matter, you never heard of the Hot Stove Season?  :silly:

I'm spending way too much time on my Twitter feed pouring over Hot Stove Season rumors, but don't tell my boss!
 888mouth

Also, I really hope we are able to keep Josh Donaldson in Atlanta. He's a great fit.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2019, 06:11:40 pm »
I'm spending way too much time on my Twitter feed pouring over Hot Stove Season rumors, but don't tell my boss!
 888mouth

Also, I really hope we are able to keep Josh Donaldson in Atlanta. He's a great fit.
@Polly Ticks
Your secret is safe with me!

Braves fans can but hope, but the latest is that Donaldson is on the Dodgers' and the Rangers' radars so far. The Dodger talk includes that incumbent third baseman Justin Turner is willing to move across to first base to accommodate Donaldson . . . but the Dodgers also have eyes on Anthony Rendon and Turner's willing to move for him, too.

The speculation also has it that the Braves are keeping an eye on Mike Moustakas as a possible fall-back if they can't persuade Donaldson to stick around.

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2019, 10:05:58 pm »
I mentioned the article in one of your post today.
I didn't realize you had already made it a topic here.