Author Topic: The Atlantic: How Trump’s ‘Green Light’ Moment in Syria Shook the World  (Read 204 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
How Trump’s ‘Green Light’ Moment in Syria Shook the World
During a few wild weeks in October, U.S. allies watched as their own worst nightmare befell America’s Kurdish partners in Syria. Here's what that means for America’s standing in the world.

There was a time when the withdrawal of roughly 50 American Special Forces from a couple of outposts in a remote part of Syria wouldn’t have generated a wave of angst across the world about the United States unceremoniously dumping its allies and terminating the international system it has led for more than 70 years.

That time is decidedly not now.

When I recently asked a European official about the fate of the Syrian Kurds, who, after that U.S. retreat in October, came under Turkish assault, the official referenced President Donald Trump’s contention that the fighting had “nothing to do with” the United States. In just over a week, the violence left hundreds of Kurdish fighters and civilians dead; more than 100,000 people displaced; the near defeat of the Islamic State in jeopardy; and Turkey, Russia, and the Iranian-backed Syrian government carving up territory vacated by the Kurds and the Americans.

Read more at: https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2019/11/trumps-green-light-moment-in-syria-shook-the-world/601963/

We've had a lot of good foreign policy under Trump imho. This decision though, is as boneheaded as they come in my opinion and read the article at least, before commenting.  Disgraceful decision as Cruz and others have said.  I believe Graham said that too, he may have changed his tune on that. Perhaps more to the situation?
« Last Edit: November 14, 2019, 03:48:48 pm by TomSea »