Author Topic: Sen. Lindsey Graham blocks Armenian genocide resolution after meeting with Trump, Turkish president  (Read 496 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Sen. Lindsey Graham blocks Armenian genocide resolution after meeting with Trump, Turkish president
By Louis Casiano | Fox News

Sen. Lindsey Graham, R-S.C., blocked a congressional resolution Wednesday that would have recognized the Armenian genocide by Ottoman Turks hours after he and President Trump met with Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan.

Graham objected to passing H.Res.296, according to The Hill, saying senators shouldn't "sugarcoat history or try to rewrite it." Graham's office did not comment on the matter in response to a Fox News request.

Sen. Bob Menendez, D-N.J., asked for consent to pass the resolution, which would have formally recognized the killing of more than a million Armenians between 1915 and 1923.

Read more at: https://www.foxnews.com/politics/sen-lindsey-graham-blocks-armenian-genocide-resolution-after-meeting-with-trump-turkish-president

So, what's up with this? I disagree, I'd like to know more.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
https://armenianweekly.com/2019/10/29/armenian-genocide-resolution-clears-key-hurdle-to-historic-u-s-house-vote/

Chairman McGovern opened the hearing with powerful opening remarks, stating that H.Res.296 “is an opportunity for the House to speak loudly and about the Armenian Genocide and finally acknowledge what it actually was, a genocide. Although the executive branch has issued proclamations and Congress has passed measures over the years on this, none in modern times have actually relayed all the facts and called it what it really was.   Enough with the euphemisms, facts are important, speaking the truth is important, and if dark chapters in our history are not acknowledged, they are doomed to be repeated.”

“Many of us are concerned with what’s going on in various parts of the world. The Armenian Genocide is a Genocide, and many of us are concerned with, frankly, others, including the Kurds. It is happening right now and Turkey is again in the thick of things. So, I think if there was never a right time to release this before, now is definitely the right time,” said Chairman Engel.

“They [Turkey] threaten other countries! They threaten us! When I had a hearing in 2000, the ambassador of Turkey, because I had both sides at the table – the Armenians and the Turks – he threatened us with Incerlik.  Frankly, with a friend like that in NATO, who needs enemies?”  said Rep. Smith.

More at link.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
Of course he did.  The Turks do anything and everything they can do prevent any recognition of the genocide they committed against the Armenians.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Of course he did.  The Turks do anything and everything they can do prevent any recognition of the genocide they committed against the Armenians.

@txradioguy

I agree,and I suspect you agree with me when I say "That is no reason for us to not talk about it in public."

Evil deeds that are ignored tend to happen over and over,right up to the time they are no longer ignored,and the people responsible for it are arrested and put on trial,if they are still alive and can be found. There should be no refuge anywhere on Earth for mass murderers.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
@txradioguy

I agree,and I suspect you agree with me when I say "That is no reason for us to not talk about it in public."

Evil deeds that are ignored tend to happen over and over,right up to the time they are no longer ignored,and the people responsible for it are arrested and put on trial,if they are still alive and can be found. There should be no refuge anywhere on Earth for mass murderers.

Exactly!
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline dfwgator

Trump is getting a bit too cozy with Erdogan.

Offline Absalom

An anecdote from history.
The Kurds, yet not all, carried out the orders of the Ottomans
to march the Armenians into the Deserts of Anatolia to starve.
Yet to their credit, they accepted their responsibility, asking the
World to forgive them for this atrocity, a mark of character.
In contrast, the neurotic Turks, who repeated their behavior
several times in history will not accept responsibility; a mark of
their disgraceful character and a synonym for Muslim fanaticism.