Author Topic: Which one of the 254 counties wants an income tax in the state of Texas?  (Read 989 times)

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Last Edit: November 14, 2019, 01:50:17 am by IsailedawayfromFR »
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Hoodat

Re: Which one of the 254 counties wants an income tax in the state of Texas?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2019, 02:07:45 am »
Travis County was only 55-45.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline thackney

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2019, 01:08:00 pm »
I think there were lots of uninformed people who did not understand you have to vote yes to mean no income tax.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2019, 01:37:36 pm »
I thought it would be Harris too.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2019, 02:03:49 pm »
I think there were lots of uninformed people who did not understand you have to vote yes to mean no income tax.
Curious that these uninformed reside in Travis County and the rest of Texas knew how to read the text.

What does that say about libs?
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2019, 02:04:03 pm »
@mystery-ak
@Cyber Liberty

Yes, Travis County, Austin, Texas, voted for the tax.  Democrats have "owned" Austin (Travis County) for generations.  Here is why:

Many years ago, I was in Austin for Republican reasons, and met at the house of an  elderly lady who had lived in Austin all her life.  Her family was generations of Democrats.  She explained the political history of Texas and particularly Austin.

Remember, I am old, 86, and grew up in Texas. My parents were Democrats because that is all there was in Texas at that time - no Republican Party.  This woman was speaking about those times.  Austin is where the capital is and almost all who lived there ran the government - all Democrats.  In those days, if you were in state government, you lived in Austin; you did not drive/fly there; you lived there. 

These families were entrenched in Austin and few ever left; the generations of these families are still there as this elderly woman was.  They may or may not work in government offices now, but they still vote Democrat.  That is why Travis County, Austin, continues to have a majority of liberal voters - once a family is Democrat, they are always Democrat. 

One other reason why liberals "own" Austin, is the arrival of numerous electronic companies, like Dell computer company, moving there.  I was at a Christmas dinner a few years ago, and at the table we explained our work.  One man said he lived in Austin and worked for a company making ads for the internet.  I immediately said, "I hate your guts."  Everyone laughed, but he is an example of a group living in Austin now, he is a Democrat. 
« Last Edit: November 14, 2019, 02:06:39 pm by Victoria33 »

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2019, 02:06:06 pm »

Heavily Democrat counties like Starr, Maverick, and Webb (that do not have generous populations of young easily-influenced, non-working students) voted 'yes' 70% or better.  OTOH, Travis County filled with youngsters with zero real-world experience and impressionable minds that have been force fed class envy for over half of their short lives had a higher fraction of 'no' votes.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline thackney

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2019, 03:43:26 pm »
Curious that these uninformed reside in Travis County and the rest of Texas knew how to read the text.

What does that say about libs?

No, I think some of that happened state wide.

If the Text had been: "Do you ever want Texas to have an income tax?" the results would have been even greater.

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2019, 05:32:53 pm »
No, I think some of that happened state wide.

If the Text had been: "Do you ever want Texas to have an income tax?" the results would have been even greater.
No way a single county has a majority of its residents be the sole place among 254 counties where a majority cannot read or comprehend competently.

You seem to believe that the residents of the most liberal place in Texas are more ignorant than the rest of the state rather than simply liberal bent to increase taxes on themselves via submitting to income taxes.

Offline thackney

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2019, 05:40:07 pm »
No way a single county has a majority of its residents be the sole place among 254 counties where a majority cannot read or comprehend competently.

You seem to believe that the residents of the most liberal place in Texas are more ignorant than the rest of the state rather than simply liberal bent to increase taxes on themselves via submitting to income taxes.

You seem to attribute to me something I did not write.

In no way have I said or implied Travis county is any different than the rest in comprehension.

What I said, was if a negative vote meant no income tax, more votes against the income tax would have occured.

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2019, 06:20:13 pm »
You seem to attribute to me something I did not write.

In no way have I said or implied Travis county is any different than the rest in comprehension.

What I said, was if a negative vote meant no income tax, more votes against the income tax would have occured.
I say the conclusion reached on why Travis county, among all counties within the state of Texas, voted for the income tax is due to its liberal bias.  You seemed to infer something else happened.

Offline thackney

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2019, 06:23:50 pm »
I say the conclusion reached on why Travis county, among all counties within the state of Texas, voted for the income tax is due to its liberal bias.  You seemed to infer something else happened.

I have said nothing specific about Travis county and have repeatedly made that clear.

I have said, if a no vote meant no income tax, more votes against the income tax would have been recorded.  All over the state, not just in one county..

Online berdie

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2019, 08:57:27 pm »
That's fine with me if Travis County wants a state income tax. They can all pay it. :yowsa: