Author Topic: Venice 'on its knees' amid worst flooding in 53 years  (Read 639 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Venice 'on its knees' amid worst flooding in 53 years
« on: November 13, 2019, 05:46:11 pm »
World News   
Nov. 13, 2019 / 8:04 AM
Venice 'on its knees' amid worst flooding in 53 years
By   Clyde Hughes

Nov. 13 (UPI) -- Heavy rains have led to the most severe flooding in northeast Italy in more than a half-century, officials said Wednesday.

The floods have put parts of Venice underwater.

"Venice is on its knees," Mayor Luigi Brugnaro tweeted. "St. Mark's Basilica has suffered serious damage, like the whole city and the islands. We need everyone's help to get through the next few days that are putting us to the test."

Read more at: https://www.upi.com/Top_News/World-News/2019/11/13/Venice-on-its-knees-amid-worst-flooding-in-53-years/2531573646252/

Big flooding in Venice, I thought I read of some heavy flooding in England too. They seem to get a good bit of that, at least, recently.    :pondering:
« Last Edit: November 13, 2019, 06:11:29 pm by TomSea »

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
Re: Venice 'on its knees' amid worst flooding in 53 years[/b]
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2019, 06:05:49 pm »
Venice is on my bucket list of places to see.
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline thackney

Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline TomSea

Offline TomSea

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2019, 07:05:53 pm »

If  you are ever in Venice, I suggest you try a Gondola ride:

@Gefn

Offline thackney

Re: Venice 'on its knees' amid worst flooding in 53 years
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2019, 07:17:42 pm »
UK's Johnson shouted at during visit to flood-hit area
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-britain-weather-floods-johnson/uks-johnson-shouted-at-during-visit-to-flood-hit-area-idUSKBN1XN19G

Okay, I misunderstood that title, thinking this was going to be a "King Canute and the tide" moment.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2019, 09:00:10 pm »
Venice flooding is historical and perhaps getting worse not so much from climate change as the fact that the city is and has been sinking.

Nice history in pictures here:

https://www.theguardian.com/cities/gallery/2015/jun/16/history-flooding-sinking-city-venice-in-pictures

Offline Applewood

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2019, 09:33:17 pm »

@Gefn

I was in Venice twice.   First time was right after one of its floods.  The place was a mess.  Scaffolding everywhere.  And it smelled musty.

Next time I was there was years later.  The canals had been dredged.  Buildings fixed up.  All clean.  Wonderful. 

The highlight for me was a tour of the Murano Glass Factory.  Interesting watching the craftsmen blow the glass by hand.  And the shop had everything from elegant chandeliers to small goblets.  I bought one of the goblets and gave it to my mother.  Not sure what happened to it. 

Venice is a wonderful city.  In fact, most cities in Italy are awesome.    And I'm not saying that because I'm half-Italian either.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2019, 10:49:57 pm »

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2019, 11:55:08 am »
I’ve been to Rome. Spent ten days exploring by day, and eating too much at night. Next time I go I have to do a whole Italian tour.

It was weird seeing all the cats running around the Colosseum.  I had my first espresso by the Spanish steps. Gave me the creeps, I should have never read so much Tacitus, and Suetonius not to mention Livy and a few others. Dang you “I Claudius” for turning me into loving history so much 

I did not have pizza in Rome, and the spaghetti was different but better. I put on ten pounds. Oh the food!
« Last Edit: November 14, 2019, 11:57:40 am by Gefn »

Offline Applewood

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2019, 01:19:44 pm »
@Gefn
Italy has so much to offer -- architecture, history and just plain beauty.  You don't see people throwing trash all over the sidewalks and streets like I see in the US.  Europeans in general love to keep their cities looking nice.    Tourism is a major industry and they want to make a good impression; otherwise, the tourists will go elsewhere.

I loved Florence -- if you like leather goods such as handbags, that is THE place to buy them.  Milan is a more modern city -- looked  like most of our major downtown cities used to look.   My favorite city was Sorrento.  Very picturesque.  In fact, if you ever go back to Italy, take a drive/bus tour down the Amalfi Coast.  Gorgeous view of the Bay of Naples and the picturesque houses built into the mountains, one on top of the other. 

My first trip to Italy was at a time when the dollar was exceptionally strong and Italy had the lira which was practically worthless.  My traveling companion and I bought a package from the old TWA Airlines for some ridiculously low price of $700 or so each.  Spent 5 days in Rome, then took a guided bus tour of a number of cities and regions.  Airfare and hotels were included.  It was cheaper than traveling around the US.    Not sure how much it costs now with the Euro, but if you can find a reasonably priced package, I'd say, go for it. 

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2019, 01:32:27 pm »
@Gefn
Italy has so much to offer -- architecture, history and just plain beauty.  You don't see people throwing trash all over the sidewalks and streets like I see in the US.  Europeans in general love to keep their cities looking nice.    Tourism is a major industry and they want to make a good impression; otherwise, the tourists will go elsewhere.

I loved Florence -- if you like leather goods such as handbags, that is THE place to buy them.  Milan is a more modern city -- looked  like most of our major downtown cities used to look.   My favorite city was Sorrento.  Very picturesque.  In fact, if you ever go back to Italy, take a drive/bus tour down the Amalfi Coast.  Gorgeous view of the Bay of Naples and the picturesque houses built into the mountains, one on top of the other. 

My first trip to Italy was at a time when the dollar was exceptionally strong and Italy had the lira which was practically worthless.  My traveling companion and I bought a package from the old TWA Airlines for some ridiculously low price of $700 or so each.  Spent 5 days in Rome, then took a guided bus tour of a number of cities and regions.  Airfare and hotels were included.  It was cheaper than traveling around the US.    Not sure how much it costs now with the Euro, but if you can find a reasonably priced package, I'd say, go for it.

@Applewood I want to see more of Italy and France. I’ve been to Rome and Paris. But didn’t spend enough time in each (sigh). When I was in Paris and France the Euro had just come out so converting  money was a pain because most places were still taking the old currency and the new currency and no one knew what they were doing. And the exchange rate was not helping. Adding to the fact I had crossed the channel from London so I had dollars AND pounds to convert, what a headache!

I’m so lucky I got to work on extended weeks in London so I really got to know and love that city where it became like a second home, and I miss it. I haven’t been since 2006. But a week or 9 days in a city isn’t enough. You really need at least a fortnight to see and do things.

And I still haven’t seen a lot of this county either. The older I get the more of a homebody I am becoming, alas.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2019, 01:33:31 pm by Gefn »

Offline Applewood

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2019, 03:31:30 pm »
@Gefn

And I still haven’t seen a lot of this county either. The older I get the more of a homebody I am becoming, alas.

Would love to go back to Europe and see more of the Caribbean too.  But I gave up my passport after my cardiac arrest and now with my other health issues, I don't want to leave the US because I keep thinking if I get sick while traveling, I'm not sure I can trust the quality of health care in other countries.  I still go to Florida a couple of times each winter and I'll go elsewhere in the States though.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2019, 01:31:21 pm »
80% underwater, declared a national emergency. Difficult to see how they come out of this at least in good shape in the near future.