Author Topic: America's largest milk producer files for bankruptcy  (Read 1291 times)

Offline Applewood

America's largest milk producer files for bankruptcy
« on: November 12, 2019, 05:39:32 pm »
America's largest milk producer files for bankruptcy

Dean Foods, America's largest milk producer, is filing for bankruptcy.

The 94-year-old company has struggled in recent years because Americans are drinking less cows milk. 2019 has been particularly brutal: the company's sales tumbled 7% in the first half of the year, and profit fell 14%. Dean Foods (DF) stock has lost 80% this year

The company, which produces some of the country's most recognizable milk and dairy products, including Dairy Pure, Organic Valley and Land O'Lakes milks, has blamed its struggles on the "accelerated decline in the conventional white milk category."

https://www.cnn.com/2019/11/12/business/dean-foods-bankruptcy/index.html

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
Re: America's largest milk producer files for bankruptcy
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2019, 05:55:04 pm »
I just got a news alert on this story and was going to post it.
  Moo!

Seriously though when I keep hearing how good soy milk is and now oat milk, I’m not surprised people aren’t drinking cow milk as much.
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline thackney

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2019, 06:11:41 pm »
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Applewood

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2019, 06:15:47 pm »
@Gefn

I can't drink cow's milk anymore.  First I had a lactose intolerance, so I used Lactaid.  Then I couldn't even drink Lactaid.  I can tolerate some aged cheese, such as cheddar or Swiss, but that's it in the dairy line. 

The alternative milks are ok; I'm accustomed to them now.   I'm even into yogurt and ice cream alternatives made with almond or coconut milk.  They really are rather good.

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2019, 06:20:11 pm »
@Gefn

I can't drink cow's milk anymore.  First I had a lactose intolerance, so I used Lactaid.  Then I couldn't even drink Lactaid.  I can tolerate some aged cheese, such as cheddar or Swiss, but that's it in the dairy line. 

The alternative milks are ok; I'm accustomed to them now.   I'm even into yogurt and ice cream alternatives made with almond or coconut milk.  They really are rather good.

My sister swears by Oat milk. I might try it, I like oatmeal. What’s the worst could happen. It’s bad? @Applewood

Offline Applewood

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2019, 07:05:33 pm »
My sister swears by Oat milk. I might try it, I like oatmeal. What’s the worst could happen. It’s bad? @Applewood

I have yet to try oat milk.  It's not as readily available here as are the others.  I did notice that the ones I have seen are not as rich in calcium as are most of the others.  This old lady needs her calcium.  LOL

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2019, 07:14:12 pm »
Milking a cow is a form of rape.  Save the utters!  Down wirh Deans!
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2019, 07:31:12 pm »
@Gefn

Try milk from a grass fed ancient breed... I bet you can drink it fine.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2019, 07:36:31 pm »
Try milk from a grass fed ancient breed... I bet you can drink it fine.

Thanks, but I did try grass fed milk  Also tried raw milk, organic milk, goat's milk.  They all have caused me "issues."  I believe all animal milks have the same lactose, whey and other ingredients that cause the problems.    Oh well.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2019, 07:52:05 pm »
Thanks, but I did try grass fed milk  Also tried raw milk, organic milk, goat's milk.  They all have caused me "issues."  I believe all animal milks have the same lactose, whey and other ingredients that cause the problems.    Oh well.

No, not merely grass fed milk.
Grass fed milk from an ancient breed. Devon or Jersey as instances.
Same with goats... Try grass fed Kiko.

Funny that lactose intolerance was basically unheard of just a generation or two ago.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2019, 08:12:31 pm »
Funny that lactose intolerance was basically unheard of just a generation or two ago.
That's not even true.

Do you know why you never see anything dairy at a Chinese restaurant? Chinese are inherently lactose intolerant. They eat plenty of beef but no dairy. It's not even part of their diet.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2019, 08:25:09 pm »
That's not even true.

Do you know why you never see anything dairy at a Chinese restaurant? Chinese are inherently lactose intolerant. They eat plenty of beef but no dairy. It's not even part of their diet.

Alright... I will cede to that. I know nothing of the Chinese. But lactose intolerance in the American diet is a relatively new thing... Like most allergies, massively on the increase.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2019, 08:27:25 pm »
@jmyrlefuller
@roamer_1

My mother was lactose intolerant and her youngest sister is too.  I suspect these intolerances may have been around a lot longer than we might think, but it's just that years ago, people didn't know what it was. This intolerance does run in families. 

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2019, 08:34:30 pm »
@jmyrlefuller
@roamer_1

My mother was lactose intolerant and her youngest sister is too.  I suspect these intolerances may have been around a lot longer than we might think, but it's just that years ago, people didn't know what it was. This intolerance does run in families.

@Applewood
I am speaking to the massive increase... When I was growing up, I knew very few people with any sort of allergy. Now I hardly know a family without some sort.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2019, 08:46:03 pm »
From the great land of fruits andnuts, my California women are drinking almond milk.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2019, 10:23:04 am »
@Applewood
I am speaking to the massive increase... When I was growing up, I knew very few people with any sort of allergy. Now I hardly know a family without some sort.
We used to take peanut butter sandwiches to school on bread that had gluten in it, and drink whole milk....and consume it right there in the lunch room!

(the horror!)
« Last Edit: November 13, 2019, 10:24:04 am by Smokin Joe »
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2019, 11:33:47 am »
From the great land of fruits andnuts, my California women are drinking almond milk.

California gave us the California Raisins.

Last night I ran into my local Quik E Mart on the way home to get some milk. They were out of all the Soy, Almond and Oat milk they had over the weekend but they had lots of cow milk. Weirdly, they were out of skim and 2%. So I bought whole milk. It’s going to taste better in my coffee, so I’m a happy camper this morning 

Offline thackney

« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2019, 12:48:36 pm »
No, not merely grass fed milk.
Grass fed milk from an ancient breed. Devon or Jersey as instances.
Same with goats... Try grass fed Kiko.

Like my longhorns above?  Not that they give hardly any milk....

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2019, 03:37:03 pm »
We used to take peanut butter sandwiches to school on bread that had gluten in it, and drink whole milk....and consume it right there in the lunch room!

(the horror!)

That's right.  :beer:

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2019, 03:40:49 pm »
Like my longhorns above?  Not that they give hardly any milk....

Yep.. I think they are A2A2... Though I don't know longhorns much... I have seen a few (and I mean count on my hands), but as a rule of thumb, I think the longhorns end where the bison begin.  :shrug:

Offline thackney

« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2019, 03:55:28 pm »
I do not understand A2A2.  I have found below:

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/03/130325160514.htm

...Among the findings was that the Texas Longhorn breed are direct descendants of the first cattle in the New World. The ancestral cattle were brought over by Columbus in 1493 to the island of Hispaniola. They traveled the rest of the way to the continent in 1521 on the ships of later Spanish colonists....

...The study reveals that being a "pure" descendant of cattle from the Iberian peninsula indicates a more complicated ancestry than was understood. Approximately 85 percent of the Longhorn genome is "taurine," descended from the ancient domestication of the wild aurochs that occurred in the Middle East 8,000-10,000 years ago. As a result, Longhorns look similar to purer taurine breeds such as Holstein, Hereford and Angus, which came to Europe from the Middle East.

The other 15 percent of the genome is "indicine," from the other ancient domestication of the aurochs, in India. These indicine cattle, which often have a characteristic hump at the back of the neck, spread into Africa and from there up to the Iberian peninsula....

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2019, 08:56:42 pm »
I do not understand A2A2.  I have found below:

A2/A2 v A1/A2...

A2 protein in milk does not cause lactose intolerance, like the a1 protein does. Somehow the a1 protein got into modern cows, and the only way to avoid A1 protein in milk is to get the milk from an ancient breed, prior to the Advent of the A1 protein getting into our milk supply. That is why milk from ancient breeds tends to be a complete fix for people that are lactose intolerant

Offline thackney

« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2019, 09:03:18 pm »
A2/A2 v A1/A2...

A2 protein in milk does not cause lactose intolerance, like the a1 protein does. Somehow the a1 protein got into modern cows, and the only way to avoid A1 protein in milk is to get the milk from an ancient breed, prior to the Advent of the A1 protein getting into our milk supply. That is why milk from ancient breeds tends to be a complete fix for people that are lactose intolerant

Thank you!

:beer:

more info for others:
https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/318577.php#Potentially-harmful-effects-of-A1-milk
« Last Edit: November 13, 2019, 09:06:29 pm by thackney »