Author Topic: NJ: He told a kid to slide. Then he got sued.  (Read 653 times)

Offline mountaineer

NJ: He told a kid to slide. Then he got sued.
« on: November 12, 2019, 02:50:40 pm »
He told a kid to slide. Then he got sued.
What happened next in an N.J. courthouse threatened to change youth sports forever.
By Steve Politi | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com
John Suk sits with shoulders slouched and his head down at the defendant’s table in Courtroom 301, a stuffy wood-paneled space inside the Somerset County judicial complex. The 31-year-old middle school teacher scribbles in a notebook as his reputation is shredded.

The plaintiff’s attorneys in Civil Docket No. L-000629-15 have spent two full days portraying the co-defendant as an inattentive and unqualified lout. He is, they argue, a villain who destroyed the future of a teenager he was supposed to protect.

“He must be held accountable for what he did,” one of the plaintiff’s two attorneys tells jurors during opening arguments.

The attacks intensify when Suk takes the witness stand to defend himself on a split-second decision he made seven years earlier. He is accused of taking a reckless course of action that showed a callous disregard for another person's safety.

He sounds like an awful person. Then you remember what Suk did to end up here.

He instructed a player he was coaching during a junior varsity baseball game to slide.  ...  Into third base. ...
Full story at NJ.com
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
Re: NJ: He told a kid to slide. Then he got sued.
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2019, 02:56:11 pm »
I don’t know what to say, my heart breaks for this kid. But is the coach liable?

I don’t know. Millions of kids slide and are fine. Neither side really wins here.

Thanks for posting @mountaineer
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️