Author Topic: ICTR: A tribunal that failed Rwandan genocide victims and survivors  (Read 267 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
ICTR: A tribunal that failed Rwandan genocide victims and survivors
Antonio Cascais, David Ehl

During the genocide, the international community did not intervene, but afterwards it set up an 'international court'. Did the court dispense justice? Opinions are divided, and 'some' survivors are waiting for justice.

When the genocide against the Tutsis started in 1994, extremist media called for the murder of Tutsis and moderate Hutus to mercilessly killed the perceived enemy. Tutsis. Corpses began floating in rivers like Akagera, and Lake Victoria. According to the UN Security Council resolution 2150, more than a million people were killed during the genocide, including Hutu and others who opposed it. And despite the daily killings that went, the world inactively watched. However, to date, the figure by several media outlets puts it at 800,000.

Diane Paula was just six years when the genocide happened. She hid at the Kicukiro Technical School, commonly known by its French acronym as ETO, (Ecole Technique Officelle). The school was one of the bases of the United Assistance Missions for Rwanda (UNAMIR). A Belgian battalion had been stationed there in the preceding days of the genocide. Following the killing of Belgian peacekeeping forces – who were mandated to protect the Prime Minister Agathe Uwiligiyimana, they [Belgian peacekeepers]w withdrew from the school. Interahamwe militia later took over and killed all the Tutsis estimated to have been 2,000.

Read more at: https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/ictr-a-tribunal-that-failed-rwandan-genocide-victims-and-survivors/ar-BBWtdMC

In the "Hotel Rwanda", decent movie, I don't know about good....with Don Cheadle but in the one part, the "extremist media" as per above called them "Tutsi Cockroaches". So, when  you hear about Rwanda, it was Tutsis vs. Hutus but it's easy for me at least, to forget who is who... so I just remember that which actually happened per research, the radio announcer's speech calling them "Tutsi Cockroaches", the Tutsis suffered the genocide. I've read a little on the whole thing.