Author Topic: Ca...No more fire in the kitchen: Cities are banning natural gas in homes to save the planet  (Read 855 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
No more fire in the kitchen: Cities are banning natural gas in homes to save the planet
Elizabeth Weise
USA TODAY

SAN FRANCISCO – Fix global warming or cook dinner on a gas stove?

That’s the choice for people in 13 cities and one county in California that have enacted new zoning codes encouraging or requiring all-electric new construction. 

The codes, most of them passed since June, are meant to keep builders from running natural gas lines to new homes and apartments, with an eye toward creating fewer legacy gas hookups as the nation shifts to carbon-neutral energy sources.

For proponents, it's a change that must be made to fight climate change. For natural gas companies, it's a threat to their existence. And for some cooks who love to prepare food with flame, it's an unthinkable loss.

Natural gas is a fossil fuel, mostly methane, and produces 33% of U.S. carbon dioxide emissions from electricity generation, according to the U.S. Energy Information Administration. Carbon dioxide is the primary greenhouse gas causing climate change.

more
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2019/11/10/climate-change-solutions-more-cities-banning-natural-gas-homes/4008346002/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline PeteS in CA

Yet another emissions shell game, from stoves' gas rings to the natural gas electricity generation facility (though CA does use hydroelectric as well as natural gas and bird-killer power).
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline Polly Ticks

Gas stoves are MUCH better for cooking.
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline LadyLiberty

So true.  I bet homes with gas stoves, heating, dryer hook ups, and water heaters will start to command a premium.

Offline musiclady

What do they think is better?? Electric stoves??

It takes much more energy to heat up food with an electric burner than a gas burner.

Not that it needs to be said, but these people are NUTS.  *****rollingeyes*****
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline DB

California is doing a slow suicide...

Offline oldno7

Well--at least kalifornia has a steady source of electricity.... :laughingdog:

Offline mountaineer

They really don't seem to understand the process whereby electricity is generated.
Shh, don't tell them. Let them find out for themselves.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
What do they think is better?? Electric stoves??

It takes much more energy to heat up food with an electric burner than a gas burner.

Not that it needs to be said, but these people are NUTS.  *****rollingeyes*****
Thermodynamically correct. Especially if the electricity is generated using natural gas. (There is an entire step added, with all its inefficiencies and losses, and line losses as well, before the electrics waste their energy generating heat.)

But this way, California can cut off power to your stove, too.
Send the masses to the upper patsure to graze, the grass is still good there. ****sheep**** ****sheep**** ****sheep**** ****sheep**** ****sheep**** ****sheep**** ****sheep**** ****sheep**** ****sheep**** ****sheep**** ****sheep**** ****sheep**** ****sheep**** ****sheep**** ****sheep****
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat

My new apartment has an electric stove. Not a fan. Never had an electric stove before.

G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline skeeter

Gas is the only way to cook.

Offline Polly Ticks

Gas is the only way to cook.

Yep.  When we built our current house I made the mistake of putting in a glass cooktop because I liked the idea of the easy clean-up when the boys would get messy making their midnight mac-n-cheese snacks or whatever.  And it IS easy to clean up, but if you want to cook something evenly you're definitely out of luck.  Cast iron helps mitigate to an extent, but there's only so much it can do when the burner cycles off and on instead of providing that beautiful consistent flame. I would go back to a gas stove in a heartbeat.
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
It's just a matter of time before cooked food is illegal for anyone without a 6 figure income so they can afford to buy the proper permits.

Ca,the land of fruits and nuts.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
So true.  I bet homes with gas stoves, heating, dryer hook ups, and water heaters will start to command a premium.

@LadyLiberty

Don't bet money you can't afford to lose,because the exact opposite is what is going to happen. Gas companies are going to go out of business,and the new home owner is going to have to pay to have the old gas system removed and replaced with electricity. It's not going to be cheap,either.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!