Author Topic: A general was the leading suspect in the biggest anti-corruption case in Mexico. Then he disappeared  (Read 264 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
A general was the leading suspect in the biggest anti-corruption case in Mexico. Then he disappeared.
By  Kevin Sieff
November 10, 2019 at 4:18 PM EST

MEXICO CITY — It was the third hearing in one of Mexico’s biggest corruption cases in years, but the general accused of abetting billions of dollars in oil theft was nowhere to be seen.

Judge Angélica Lucio Rosales looked out at the crowd of lawyers and family members in the federal courtroom, unimpressed.

“Where is General Trauwitz?” she asked.

Read more at: https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/the_americas/a-general-was-the-leading-suspect-in-the-biggest-anti-corruption-case-in-mexico-then-he-disappeared/2019/11/10/e6f91f2c-f4e9-11e9-b2d2-1f37c9d82dbb_story.html

As a lesson, I was in Mexico City in the 1980s, truly a lovely place back then. I knew some students, they went to the Manuel Buendia school of journalism, that was what their desired occupations are... the journalist, Manuel Buendia was assassinated, killed.  That little bit told me a lot with what we are dealing with down there.  Some good people and a very messed up system, from asking to pay 'mordidas', bribes while driving on up the line.