Author Topic: Salvadoran massacre victims still hunting 'truth and justice' 38 years later  (Read 237 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Salvadoran massacre victims still hunting 'truth and justice' 38 years later
Nelson Renteria

CACAOPERA, El Salvador (Reuters) - Fidel Perez has abandoned his farm for the day to look on as investigators work in a remote cemetery in this Central American country, seeking answers to one of many tragedies in the Salvadoran civil war - and the remains of his mother and sister.

For Perez, now 43, the investigation marks a return to a dark day when he was seven years old, huddled in a cave with his family and neighbors. Then soldiers threw in a grenade.

It was December 1981, during a military operation in Morazan, at the dawn of the long and bloody civil war that claimed tens of thousands of lives.

Read more at: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-elsalvador-politics/salvadoran-massacre-victims-still-hunting-truth-and-justice-38-years-later-idUSKBN1XJ0H8

This is a depressing subject, however:

What Did Elliott Abrams Have to Do With the El Mozote Massacre?

It's truly an aggravating topic to read up on it but it is history.

On the plus side, I believe El Salvador and Guatemala expelled Venezuelan diplomats from their countries this past week.  So, this history is very gloomy; but it happened.  Learn not to repeat such. I don't know if one can say the US had any kind of direct roll other than allegedly training some of the El Salvadoran troops involved, US involvement did start under Carter I believe.