Author Topic: Las Vegas adopts ban that prohibits sleeping, camping on streets and sidewalks  (Read 560 times)

Offline Applewood

Las Vegas adopts ban that prohibits sleeping, camping on streets and sidewalks

The Las Vegas City Council approved a controversial ban Wednesday that makes it illegal to camp or sleep on the streets in parts of the city, a measure critics say unfairly criminalizes homeless people.
…
While the ban is set to take effect Sunday, city officials say criminal penalties will not be enforced until February 1, after the city reviews additional locations for shelter needs and posts signs with details of the ban.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/las-vegas-adopts-ban-prohibits-sleeping-camping-streets-sidewalks-n1078006

I guess Vegas doesn't want to become San Francisco.

Offline goatprairie

Liberals would rather cities sink into cesspools of filth, decay, and disease to protect the "rights" of a some mentally defective people over the health and safety of the 99% + of the population.
Which is why liberals are the country's most dangerous group of people and should never be given the levers of power.
Giving liberals power today is like turning power over to the craziest inmate in the insane asylum.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2019, 02:28:42 pm by goatprairie »

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
In a city that is heavily dependent of tourism someone must have seen that the homeless camping on the streets harassing families was bad for business.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Applewood

In a city that is heavily dependent of tourism someone must have seen that the homeless camping on the streets harassing families was bad for business.

When I was younger, I visited Vegas frequently.  Years ago, the homeless, drug addicts, criminals and assorted miscellaneous lowlifes were confined to downtown and kept away from the tourist-friendly Strip.  I remember one morning around sunrise  taking a stroll around the grounds of the Tropicana.  Near the pool area, there were several LVPD officers rousting a homeless man.  Apparently, he was able to get into the property and was sleeping on one of the lounge chairs.  Obviously, hotel management wanted this man gone before the guests were up and headed for the pool.  Not sure if the fellow was arrested or just given a ride to downtown.

Then some years ago, urban renewal came to the downtown area.  Old flop houses, dive bars and other hangouts were torn down.  Last time I was in Vegas, I did see some homeless around the Strip.  I guess it has become a real problem and the city is doing something to prevent the situation from getting  worse.

But I look for the ACLU and other supposed do-gooders to take this new ordinance to court.  This isn't a done deal by a long shot.

Offline Hoodat

The Las Vegas City Council approved a controversial ban Wednesday that makes it illegal to camp or sleep on the streets in parts of the city

Nothing controversial about it.  If cities can regulate people driving and/or parking of cars, bicycles, skateboards, etc. on city streets and sidewalks, then they can regulate people setting up tents, etc.  Cities have ordinances against jaywalking, parking, etc. that are not deemed controversial.  Why this?

a measure critics say unfairly criminalizes homeless people.

First off, there is no such thing as 'homeless'.  The measure simply inhibits anyone from making public streets and sidewalks their home.  There is plenty of government-owned property throughout the 8,000 square miles of Clark County that could be set aside for public sleeping.

It is well within the rights of the City of Las Vegas to discourage vagrancy just as it is within the rights of San Francisco to encourage it.  The voters of San Francisco clearly want people sleeping on their streets.  The voters of Las Vegas do not.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Cases have been  tried in Orange County,  California, which prevent locking up the homeless, unless here is a specidic facility.

So jurisdictions are finding sites. But the usual NIMBY objections arise.

It is generally known the subject individuals will not remain in such places, with their rules and regulations; eg. curfew, drug testing, no drugs/Confinement.

In California, adicts/alcoholics are deemed to be "disabled, thanks to "softer, gentler GHW Bush's ADA categories.

IOW these people are conssidered a "protected  class."

Chances are looking at Vancouver BC indicates what is next for Seattle, San Francisco, Lost Angeles, and

YOUR AREA, TOO.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline PeteS in CA

But I look for the ACLU and other supposed do-gooders to take this new ordinance to court.  This isn't a done deal by a long shot.

Already at the Federal Appeals Court level, https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2019-09-25/boise-homeless-encampment-amicus-brief-supreme-court-appeal-cities . Given how many Trump appointees are on the Ninth Circus Court, it could get interesting. Nevada is in the Ninth Circuit.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2019, 09:26:53 pm by PeteS in CA »
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline goatprairie

Again, why don't liberals volunteer to house the homeless on their own property? Surely, they wouldn't object to  a few violence-prone druggies squatting in their backyards....or frontyards?
Frickin' hypocrites.  9999hair out0000