Author Topic: Air Force airman falls out of C-130 over Gulf of Mexico, search underway  (Read 795 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
American Military News by Ryan Morgan  November 06, 2019

A search is underway for a U.S. Air Force airman who went missing on Tuesday after falling out of a transport plane during a training jump from Hurlburt Field, Fla.

The airman fell roughly 1,500 feet out of a C-130 and into the Gulf of Mexico, and was able to deploy his parachute before hitting the water. Fox News reported flight crew members initially saw the airman treading water but lost sight of him when the plane attempted to circle back around.

According to the Northwest Florida News, the missing airman was part of the Air Force 24th Special Operations Wing (24th SOW). The airman’s name and description has not been revealed, and he has only been identified as a staff sergeant.

More: https://americanmilitarynews.com/2019/11/air-force-airman-falls-out-of-c-130-over-gulf-of-mexico-search-underway/

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Air Force Times By: Stephen Losey

https://www.airforcetimes.com/news/your-air-force/2019/11/06/breaking-special-tactics-airman-missing-in-gulf-of-mexico-search-underway/

As 6 a.m. Wednesday, 10 units were involved in the search and rescue effort:

♦ 24th Special Operations Wing, Hurlburt Field
♦ 1st Special Operations Wing, Hurlburt Field
♦ Coast Guard Air Station New Orleans MH-65 Dolphin Helicopter aircrew
♦ Coast Guard Aviation Training Center Mobile HC-144 Ocean Sentry aircrew
♦ Coast Guard Aviation Training Center Mobile MH-60 Jayhawk aircrew
♦ Two Coast Guard Station Destin 45-foot Response Boat-Medium boat crews
♦ 96th Test Wing, Eglin Air Force Base
♦ U.S. Army 7th Special Forces Group, Duke Field
♦ Santa Rosa County Sheriff’s Office
♦ Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Prayers up!
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
That happened a few miles from me.  Surprisingly there is very little chatter on this and our hood is full of military personnel stationed at Eglin and Hurlburt.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
That happened a few miles from me.  Surprisingly there is very little chatter on this and our hood is full of military personnel stationed at Eglin and Hurlburt.

I'm quite fond of that area. I thoroughly enjoyed my 4 yrs at NAS Pensacola.

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
I'm quite fond of that area. I thoroughly enjoyed my 4 yrs at NAS Pensacola.

888high58888

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
I hate to say it,but he must have been eaten. Otherwise the air units would have easily seen the strobe light on his web gear flashing last night.

Assuming of course that aircrew flying over water have strobe lights on their web gear. I can't think of a single reason why they wouldn't.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Hoodat

The life vests we use on the platform contain radio transponders that activate when wet.  Not sure if that would be desirable in a military situation.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Wingnut

Talked to one of my Ranger neighbors and he said It doesn't look good for a rescue mission.  More like a recovery mission.  They are searching an area from west of Okaloosa island to Pensacola.  He also said that the airman that departed the C-130 aircraft making an unintentional water landing broke the first rule of being on an air crew: don't fall out of the plane.

These guys pretty much shoot straight.

Offline thackney

...the C-130 aircraft making an unintentional water landing...

What does that mean?
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Re: Air Force airman falls out of C-130 over Gulf of Mexico, search underway
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2019, 05:32:46 pm »
What does that mean?

It means the crewman had no intention to fall out of the plane and land in the water. It was purely unintentional.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2019, 05:44:53 pm »
The life vests we use on the platform contain radio transponders that activate when wet.  Not sure if that would be desirable in a military situation.

@Hoodat

I can't see how they would harm anything because the guy is going to die if no one can find him.

Besides,this was a peacetime training mission.

I suspect he is in a heap of trouble if alive and they find him,though. He should have been strapped to the interior of the aircraft so he couldn't fall out. As an E-6 he can't even claim he didn't know.

Offline thackney

« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2019, 05:46:44 pm »
It means the crewman had no intention to fall out of the plane and land in the water. It was purely unintentional.

Okay, I read that as the aircraft making a water landing...
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2019, 05:47:32 pm »
What does that mean?

@thackney

It means "don't EVER do it!".

They are supposed to be wearing safety straps attached to them and to the aircraft  when the doors are open or the ramp is down,and this guy obviously wasn't.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2019, 05:49:16 pm »
Okay, I read that as the aircraft making a water landing...

@thackney

That is probably THE Number 1 thing a C-130 is never supposed to do. They don't float very well.

Offline Wingnut

« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2019, 07:06:17 pm »

Yup.  I should have phased that better.   The airman that departed the C-130 aircraft, making an unintentional water landing.

Sorry.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2019, 08:20:32 pm »
[...]  broke the first rule of being on an air crew: don't fall out of the plane.

That's a pretty useful rule right there...

rangerrebew

« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2019, 12:27:23 pm »
Staying out of the water is a standard rule on aircraft carriers, too, but the one I was aboard had quite few guys hit the drink "accidentally."  Only one became breakfast for the sharks. :pondering:

rangerrebew

U.S. Airman Falls Into Gulf During a Training Exercise and Is Still Missing

The airman’s parachute deployed and was seen treading water, but hasn’t been seen since.

By Kyle Mizokami   
Nov 6, 2019

U.S. Air Force photo by Staff Sgt. Joseph Pick

A U.S. Air Force airman fell out of a special operations transport during an exercise.
    The airman, who fell from a c-130 aircraft, was last seen alive and treading in the water.
    So far, the pilot hasn't been found and the search for the missing airman continues.

A U.S. Air Force airman serving with a special operations unit is missing after he accidentally fell out of a transport plane into the Gulf of Mexico. The airman was last seen “treading water”. “Dozens” of U.S. Air Force and Coast Guard airplanes and helicopters are reportedly searching an area south of Hurlburt Field, Florida.

The incident took place last night. According to The Aviationist, which has an excellent roundup on the situation, an airman from the 24th Special Operations Wing at Hurlburt Field Florida fell out of a C-130 cargo plane ten miles off the coast of Florida. Air Force Magazine reports the airman, “was participating in a static-line jump as part of a training event when he exited the aircraft about four miles south of Hurlburt.”

https://www.popularmechanics.com/military/aviation/a29714974/usaf-airman-missing/

Offline Hoodat

The airman’s parachute deployed and was seen treading water, but hasn’t been seen since.

Treading water is never an option.  If anyone finds him/herself stranded in the ocean, one can make a float out of a pair of long pants/jeans/trousers.

If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
U.S. Airman Falls Into Gulf During a Training Exercise and Is Still Missing

By Kyle Mizokami   
Nov 6, 2019

U.S. Air Force photo by Staff Sgt. Joseph Pick

A U.S. Air Force airman fell out of a special operations transport during an exercise.
    The airman, who fell from a c-130 aircraft, was last seen alive and treading in the water.
    So far, the pilot hasn't been found and the search for the missing airman continues.

The PILOT is still missing? WTF? Did he run away from home and they can't be bothered to look for him,or did the C-130 go down and the missing airman jump to avoid being in the plane crash?

The incident took place last night. According to The Aviationist, which has an excellent roundup on the situation, an airman from the 24th Special Operations Wing at Hurlburt Field Florida fell out of a C-130 cargo plane ten miles off the coast of Florida. Air Force Magazine reports the airman, “was participating in a static-line jump as part of a training event when he exited the aircraft about four miles south of Hurlburt.”

WHY would a C-130 crewman be participaing in a static line jump with the Special Operations Command? There are no airplanes operating on the ground.

This is some seriously lousy reporting all around. I now know less about what happened than I did after reading the headline.

rangerrebew

Coast Guard ends search for combat controller who fell from C-130, Air Force effort switches from search to recovery
By: Air Force Times staff  

The U.S. Coast Guard has suspended its search efforts for the Special Tactics airman who had an unplanned parachute departure from a C-130 aircraft during a training exercise Tuesday morning over the Gulf of Mexico, about four miles south of Hurlburt Field, Florida.

As of 6 p.m. Friday, the Air Force had taken the lead role as the search for the airman, from the 24 Special Operations Wing at Hurlburt, transitions to a recovery effort.

“We would like to extend our gratitude to all of the federal, state and local units that have aided in the search for our airman, especially the U.S. Coast Guard,” said Col. Matt Allen, commander of the 24th Special Operations Wing, in a news release. “We will continue our recovery effort as long as circumstances and resources allow to bring our airman home.”

https://www.airforcetimes.com/news/your-air-force/2019/11/09/coast-guard-ends-search-for-combat-controller-who-fell-from-c-130-air-force-effort-switches-from-search-to-recovery/

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2019, 02:24:40 pm »
...  Condiff, a Special Tactics combat controller, served in the Air Force’s 23rd Special Tactics Squadron, 24th Special Operations Wing. His roles included static-line jumping, military free-fall jumping and combat scuba diving.

Condiff was “specially trained and equipped for immediate deployment into combat operations to conduct global access, precision strike, and personnel recovery operations,” according to the report.  ...

More at NY Post
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Wingnut

« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2019, 02:30:46 pm »
Condiff was a static-line jumpmaster, military free-fall jumper, combat scuba diver, air traffic controller and a joint terminal attack controller. As a special tactics combat controller, he was trained for immediate deployment into combat operations to conduct reconnaissance, global access, precision strike and personnel recovery operations.

A local source with more about the
https://www.pnj.com/story/news/2019/11/09/missing-hurlburt-airman-identified-air-force-staff-sgt-cole-condiff/2550330001/