Author Topic: England Gets Fracking Ban  (Read 770 times)

Offline thackney

England Gets Fracking Ban
« on: November 06, 2019, 03:49:12 pm »
England Gets Fracking Ban
https://www.rigzone.com/news/england_gets_fracking_ban-05-nov-2019-160239-article/

The UK government revealed last weekend that fracking will not be allowed to proceed in England “following the publication of new scientific analysis”.

Ministers took the decision on the basis of a report by the Oil and Gas Authority (OGA), the UK government said in a statement posted on its website. The report found that it is not currently possible to accurately predict the probability or magnitude of earthquakes linked to fracking operations, the UK government stated.

The moratorium on fracking will stand until “compelling new evidence is provided”, the UK government revealed.

“Whilst acknowledging the huge potential of UK shale gas to provide a bridge to a zero-carbon future, I’ve also always been clear that shale gas exploration must be carried out safely,” Business and Energy Secretary, Andrea Leadsom, said in a UK government statement.

“After reviewing the OGA’s report into recent seismic activity at Preston New Road, it is clear that we cannot rule out future unacceptable impacts on the local community,” Leadsom added....
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Re: England Gets Fracking Ban
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2019, 04:02:12 pm »
Sorta like banning elephants from roaming the countryside.

The UK just does not have that many prospects to frac anyway.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2019, 04:20:43 pm »
Sorta like banning elephants from roaming the countryside.

The UK just does not have that many prospects to frac anyway.

@IsailedawayfromFR

Still,that sounds like it MIGHT be a valid reason to cut back on fracking until we do know what,if any effects it would have on earthquakes.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2019, 06:22:51 pm »
@IsailedawayfromFR

Still,that sounds like it MIGHT be a valid reason to cut back on fracking until we do know what,if any effects it would have on earthquakes.
This has nothing to do with earthquakes and everything to do with limiting oil and gas operations.

Many tens of thousands of wells have been fracced.  All have microseismic effects.  These are desirable in order to ascertain the frac efficiency.

They do not impact the surface except microscopically.

The UK's oil and gas sector is comprised of mostly scientific types who initially had zero oil and gas experience as they came out of the UK Government's nuclear sector when it decided to cease the development of the next generation of breeder reactor.

In reading the report, I find nothing dissimilar to many microseismic studies I have seen over the years.   The report is replete with 'possible' and 'potential' and 'perhaps'.  Not overly conclusive language for scientists.

Don't fall for the hysteria.  There will not be elephants roaming the British countryside either.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Idiot

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2019, 06:36:38 pm »
This has nothing to do with earthquakes and everything to do with limiting oil and gas operations.

Many tens of thousands of wells have been fracced.  All have microseismic effects.  These are desirable in order to ascertain the frac efficiency.

They do not impact the surface except microscopically.

The UK's oil and gas sector is comprised of mostly scientific types who initially had zero oil and gas experience as they came out of the UK Government's nuclear sector when it decided to cease the development of the next generation of breeder reactor.

In reading the report, I find nothing dissimilar to many microseismic studies I have seen over the years.   The report is replete with 'possible' and 'potential' and 'perhaps'.  Not overly conclusive language for scientists.

Don't fall for the hysteria.  There will not be elephants roaming the British countryside either.
:amen: