Author Topic: For Boomers Reframing Aging, Age-Proofing A Home Won’t Come Cheap  (Read 713 times)

Offline OfTheCross

Aging in place is a major financial commitment, one that may be at odds with retirees’ plans to downsize their lives and budgets and squirrel away cash in anticipation of rising health care costs. The Cavners are rebuilding this house — assessed at $700,000 around the time of the sale — from a shell. The remodel could easily cost $300,000 in the hot Austin market.

Leaving nothing to chance, the Cavners are paying for a number of modifications they might never need. For instance, neither uses a wheelchair, but contractors are making all doorways 3 feet wide — just in case. The master bath roll-in shower, flat and rimless, will provide room to maneuver. In the kitchen, drawers, rather than cabinets, will allow easy access in a wheelchair.

khn

This is a new thing to me. Back in the days people just got old in their regular old house.  :shrug:
If a well-regulated militia be the most natural defense of a free country, it ought certainly to be under the regulation and at the disposal of that body which is constituted the guardian of the national security.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
Re: For Boomers Reframing Aging, Age-Proofing A Home Won’t Come Cheap
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2019, 02:46:59 pm »
It’s something they are doing in a lot of 55 and older communities. Making doors wider for wheelchairs to get through, making tubs and showers handicapped acceptable.

When my parents bought a house in one of these communities everything was done like this for them. It was standard on all the houses.
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline aligncare

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2019, 03:30:14 pm »
It’s something they are doing in a lot of 55 and older communities. Making doors wider for wheelchairs to get through, making tubs and showers handicapped acceptable.

When my parents bought a house in one of these communities everything was done like this for them. It was standard on all the houses.

My geriatrics classes covered these issues in 1982. You alter as much as possible the senior’s surroundings to accommodate the common physical decline that accompanies aging; ambulation and grip strength issues, stairs and the risks for trip and fall, counter and storage heights, etc. Commonsense safety changes to the bathroom and kitchen are especially important for independent living.

It’s good that boomers are making changes to how we now view aging.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2019, 05:38:09 pm »
My geriatrics classes covered these issues in 1982. You alter as much as possible the senior’s surroundings to accommodate the common physical decline that accompanies aging; ambulation and grip strength issues, stairs and the risks for trip and fall, counter and storage heights, etc. Commonsense safety changes to the bathroom and kitchen are especially important for independent living.

It’s good that boomers are making changes to how we now view aging.

Preparing a house to avoid injuries is a lot cheaper than paying to repair those injuries, not to mention the pain aspect.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2019, 05:47:34 pm »
This is a new thing to me. Back in the days people just got old in their regular old house.  :shrug:

Having been in a wheelchair for 7 years in my 40s, I can tell you that such foresight is sensible. It really costs no more to put in a 3-0 door than it does to put in a 2-6, and arranging cabinetry around costs virtually nothing in a remodel that is already out to the studs.

I did so here... Oddly enough, the only dang door I could not widen is the bathroom. Go figger. But everywhere else in this house can be navigated by a wheelchair or a walker.

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2019, 08:57:58 pm »

My mother lives in Seizure World, Seal Beach, CA., it was built in the early 60's. There are no steps, all the doors are wide enough for wheel chairs and all the counters are ADA height and the toe kicks are all large so that a wheel chair can roll straight right up to the counter. It's a community that traditionally was for older residents but more and more 55 year olds are buying in.