Author Topic: Federal Deficit Hit $984 Billion Last Year—a Nearly 50 Percent Increase Since Trump Took Office  (Read 761 times)

Offline OfTheCross

During the 2016 campaign, President Donald Trump said he'd be able to wipe out the national debt in eight years. Instead, after three years in office, he's overseen a nearly 50 percent increase in the gap between how much the government takes in and how much it spends.

The Treasury Department announced Friday that the official federal deficit for fiscal year 2019, which ended in September, was $984 billion—in line with what the Congressional Budget Office (CBO) estimated last month. The announcement serves as official confirmation that the federal government's mountain of red ink has grown dramatically during Trump's first three years in the White House. It is now approaching levels not seen since the early Obama years.

The current deficit isn't the result of temporary circumstances like World War II or a major recession. It's a systemic deficit, a result of poor budgeting and bad decision-making by members of Congress and the current administration.

reason

Looking at the chart makes me think that had it not been for the Great Recession we might have had a surplus during the last Administration
If a well-regulated militia be the most natural defense of a free country, it ought certainly to be under the regulation and at the disposal of that body which is constituted the guardian of the national security.

Offline libertybele

This may very well prove to be Trump's downfall, but then again, with the leftists promoting green energy and medicare for all, those that think that they won't increase the deficit even more are dead wrong.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
So long as everyone insists on getting their cut, this will never change.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
So long as everyone insists on getting their cut, this will never change.

Are you going to be the one to tell seniors who chipped in to SS their whole lives, and planned their retirement around it, it's their turn to suck eggs and let it go while watching illegal aliens and welfare recipients claim the money?

Good luck with that.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
The Looming ‘1984’ Election

Like it or not, 2020 is going to be a plebiscite on an American version of Orwell’s Nineteen-Eighty-Four.

Victor Davis Hanson - November 10th, 2019

For a variety of reasons, the 2020 election is going to be a referendum beyond Donald Trump’s record and his Democratic opposition.

The furor that Trump has incurred, and the radical antithesis to his agenda and first term, have redefined the looming election. It is becoming a stark choice between a revolutionary future versus American traditionalism...

Everything I can see at the moment tells me that VDH has it exactly right.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2019, 12:39:25 am by Bigun »
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Applewood

This may very well prove to be Trump's downfall, but then again, with the leftists promoting green energy and medicare for all, those that think that they won't increase the deficit even more are dead wrong.

I thought Trump, being a businessman, would refuse any spending spree bills and tell congress he won't sign anything but a real balanced budget. But it looks like he will sign anything put in front of him. 

But this is the fault of both parties.  It's all about votes.  Throw money and free stuff at the voters and they will vote for you. 

And the voters themselves share the blame.  Talk to any of them about the debt and deficit and you just get a blank stare.  Most of the ones I have talked to just don't care about the debt and deficit as long as they think they are getting something for nothing.