Author Topic: Effort to raise Florida minimum wage passes signature hurdle  (Read 786 times)

Offline OfTheCross

Effort to raise Florida minimum wage passes signature hurdle
« on: November 06, 2019, 01:29:50 pm »
A petition drive to ask voters to gradually increase Florida’s minimum wage to $15 an hour has enough signatures to make the November 2020 ballot.

The Department of State website shows the ballot has gathered slightly more than the 766,200 registered voter signatures needed to get a proposed constitutional amendment on the ballot.

The measure calls for raising the current minimum wage from $8.46 an hour to $10 in September 2021 with $1 an hour increases annually until it reaches $15 in 2026.

floridapolitics
If a well-regulated militia be the most natural defense of a free country, it ought certainly to be under the regulation and at the disposal of that body which is constituted the guardian of the national security.

Offline libertybele

Re: Effort to raise Florida minimum wage passes signature hurdle
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2019, 07:25:44 pm »
Sad to see this and I'm hoping it fails at the polls.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline OfTheCross

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2019, 07:29:51 pm »
Sad to see this and I'm hoping it fails at the polls.

I'm not for it either. In the majority of Florida the cost of living isn't high enough to justify it, imo.

The major Metros can all change theirs, though
If a well-regulated militia be the most natural defense of a free country, it ought certainly to be under the regulation and at the disposal of that body which is constituted the guardian of the national security.

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2019, 07:53:52 pm »
Never gonna see the light of day.  I believe that this would not only have to pass with a majority vote but with a super majority vote to become law.

I need to find out how FL determines a SM.

I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2019, 08:00:56 pm »
Never gonna see the light of day.  I believe that this would not only have to pass with a majority vote but with a super majority vote to become law.

I need to find out how FL determines a SM.

Constitutional amendments need 60%.

And if you don't think it'll pass, take a look at the list of garbage that passed last year.  Then consider they'll just keep on throwing it up there until they get what they want.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2019, 08:20:16 pm »
Constitutional amendments need 60%.

And if you don't think it'll pass, take a look at the list of garbage that passed last year.  Then consider they'll just keep on throwing it up there until they get what they want.

That low.   Hmmmmm. 
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.