Author Topic: Gorbachev: Nuclear Weapons Putting World In 'Colossal Danger'  (Read 262 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Gorbachev: Nuclear Weapons Putting World In 'Colossal Danger'
« on: November 05, 2019, 05:14:12 pm »
Gorbachev: Nuclear Weapons Putting World In 'Colossal Danger'

Former Soviet leader Mikhail Gorbachev has warned that the current standoff between Russia and the West is putting the world in "colossal danger" due to the threat from nuclear weapons.

In an interview with the BBC published on November 4, Gorbachev called for all countries to declare that nuclear weapons "must be destroyed" in order to "save ourselves and our planet."

"As far as weapons of mass destruction exist, primarily nuclear weapons, the danger is colossal," he said.

Read more at: https://www.rferl.org/a/gorbachev-nuclear-weapons-putting-world-in-colossal-danger-/30252113.html

Good article, at first, there was only the interview. Now, this article summarizes what it was about.

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: Gorbachev: Nuclear Weapons Putting World In 'Colossal Danger'
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2019, 07:28:48 pm »
Frankly, while nuclear weapons have always (in my lifetime) posed a threat, I am far more concerned about something far more subtle. The expansion of Communist philosophies, the disregard for the rule of law, the corruption of government in high places (and low), and the proliferation of drug resistant strains of disease are all higher on my list than nuclear war.

In the event some of the new members of the 'Nuclear Club' utilize their weaponry, I would hope that our response would be quick, complete, and prevent any action by those actors ever again. While potentially devastating, such limited conflict would be survivable for the US, so long as we are not engaged in a full-on slugfest with a major power.

Recall, the entire unilateral disarmament/no nukes movement of the 70s was mainly a push to get the US at a disadvantage in terms of strategic weapons, and while Mr. Gorbachev may have 'torn down that wall', declaring Communism dead has only ensured its unmitigated proliferation, even here at home.

So, no, I still don't see the existence of nuclear weapons as a threat, in and of itself. Only bad policy and poor decision making will make that so.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2019, 08:06:47 pm »
I know in my lifetime I have learned to stop worrying and love the bomb.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2019, 11:42:35 pm »
I sense that there will be future use of nukes, most likely in a conflict between India and Pakistan.

Also quite possibly when Iran develops both a workable bomb and a "good enough" shot at delivering three, four or five of them into Israel.

I also sense that India will survive its final confrontation with islam.
But... that Israel will not.