Author Topic: Beer laced with ASBESTOS from the 1970s blamed for soaring throat cancer as cases QUADRUPLE over pas  (Read 604 times)

Offline mountaineer

Beer laced with ASBESTOS from the 1970s blamed for soaring throat cancer as cases QUADRUPLE over past 50 years - with 90% affecting men
    The fibres were used in breweries to filter out microorganisms that affect beer
    Some pubs added asbestos to left-over beer to make it ready to serve again
    Exposure caused cases of gullet cancer to increase four times, scientists believe

By Jemma Carr For Mailonline
Published: 07:50 EDT, 2 November 2019 | Updated: 07:51 EDT, 2 November 2019
Beer poisoned with asbestos in the 1970s could have caused an increase in gullet cancer cases, scientists say.

The deadly fibres were used in breweries, along with cotton, to filter out microorganisms that harm the drink's quality. But asbestos became weak when it was old and dried out, releasing dangerous particles into the air. 

Certain pubs even added asbestos to left-over beer to remove impurities ready to serve again.

This exposure caused cases of gullet cancer to increase four times, scientists at the universities of Liverpool and Cambridge believe.  According to Cancer Research UK, there are 25 new cases of gullet cancer, also known as oesophageal cancer, every day and it is the 14th most common cancer in the UK.  ...
Story at Daily Mail

Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
It appears to be a British problem.

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
It appears to be a British problem.

Had me worried there for a second.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline mountaineer

Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline berdie

Perhaps.    :thud:

Since beer was my drink of choice in the 70s...I sure hope so.