Author Topic: Spatchcocked: Roast Your Turkey in Record Time!  (Read 1283 times)

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Spatchcocked: Roast Your Turkey in Record Time!
« on: November 02, 2019, 02:47:26 pm »
Thermoblog by Martin Earl

The turkey is the star of the show on Thanksgiving Day, and it usurps the space in the oven. Doesn’t that bird know you have green bean casserole, sweet potatoes and rolls waiting in line? A little time-saving trick with laying the bird out flat while roasting is a complete game-changer. If you’re the type of person who thinks outside the box with an affinity for the unorthodox, keep reading. This method is for you.

A Simple Approach:

Who doesn’t want to save time on Thanksgiving? Mark Bittman of the NY Times, and the author of How to Cook Everything, set out to put together a minimalist Thanksgiving dinner to cut down on prep, cook time, and ingredients so he could have time and energy to actually enjoy the meal with family and friends. Bittman’s first spatchcocking video made its appearance in 2008. Since then a number of celebrity chefs have also applied the same method, with spatchcocking becoming an official foodie trend by 2012.

(Kenji Lopez-Alt is another chef who swears by a flat bird! His discussion about and recipe for a spatchcocked turkey and many others can be found in his book, The Food Lab.)

Advantages of Spatchcocking:

1. It’s a Timesaver: To take the time out of the turkey roasting process, Mark splits and flattens out the turkey. ----

2. Flat Shape=Even Cooking: A turkey is pretty much spherical in shape, no wonder there are issues with even cooking! ----

3. Juicier Meat and Crisper Skin: all of the skin is facing up and fully exposed.----

4. Better Gravy: With removing the backbone, you have another component to add flavor to your gravy. ----

Break Down the Bird

Enough talk about why spatchcocking is so great. It’s so much easier than you might think! All you need are a cutting board, poultry shears, and a chef’s knife. As long as you’re not squeamish to the sound of bones breaking, it’s a cinch.

More: https://blog.thermoworks.com/turkey/spatchcocked-roast-turkey-record-time/

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Re: Spatchcocked: Roast Your Turkey in Record Time!
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2019, 02:50:04 pm »
If you want to save time, drop the bird in a deep fryer.  45 minutes for a 13 lb turkey.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2019, 02:54:34 pm »
I’ve seen chickens being spatchcocked on Top Chef. I guess it could work for a 🦃 Turkey.

I’ve never had fried turkey but I do like KFC.

I have had smoked turkey. That was yummy as an adult but hated as a child.
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2019, 03:00:51 pm »
If you want to save time, drop the bird in a deep fryer.  45 minutes for a 13 lb turkey.

Sure takes a bunch of peanut oil though.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2019, 03:05:55 pm »
Sure takes a bunch of peanut oil though.

I've never liked it with peanut oil, I prefer liquid shortening.  Still takes a lot, yeah.  It costs more than the turkey.  Spatchcocking sounds interesting.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2019, 03:20:31 pm »
I’m surrounded by gourmands and I like it!
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Online roamer_1

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2019, 01:49:42 pm »

I would go the other way, and put it in the smoke the day before... Sure it takes a while, but it is really pretty hands-off, and just a little minding. But taste? Magnificent!

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2019, 04:24:14 pm »
I would go the other way, and put it in the smoke the day before... Sure it takes a while, but it is really pretty hands-off, and just a little minding. But taste? Magnificent!

I've smoked turkeys, and they are delicious!  Just make sure you don't get a self-basting bird (which can be hard to find). 
I will NOT comply.

Offline thackney

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2019, 06:14:04 pm »
I've smoked turkeys, and they are delicious!  Just make sure you don't get a self-basting bird (which can be hard to find).

Life is fragile, handle with prayer