Author Topic: First Common Core High School Grads Worst-Prepared For College In 15 Years  (Read 883 times)

rangerrebew

First Common Core High School Grads Worst-Prepared For College In 15 Years

This is the opposite of what we were told would happen with trillions of taxpayer dollars and an entire generation of children who deserve not to have been guinea pigs in a failed national experiment.

By Joy Pullmann
October 31, 2019

For the third time in a row since Common Core was fully phased in nationwide, U.S. student test scores on the nation’s broadest and most respected test have dropped, a reversal of an upward trend between 1990 and 2015. Further, the class of 2019, the first to experience all four high school years under Common Core, is the worst-prepared for college in 15 years, according to a new report.

The National Assessment of Educational Progress is a federally mandated test given every other year in reading and mathematics to students in grades four and eight. (Periodically it also tests other subjects and grade levels.) In the latest results, released Wednesday, American students slid yet again on nearly every measure.

https://thefederalist.com/2019/10/31/first-common-core-high-school-grads-worst-prepared-for-college-in-15-years/

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Re: First Common Core High School Grads Worst-Prepared For College In 15 Years
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2019, 11:28:02 pm »
From the article:
"For the third time in a row since Common Core was fully phased in nationwide..."

It's been a long time since I was in school and it shows.
But...   a question:
Is this "common core" b.s. mandated to be taught in PRIVATE and religious schools as well as the public ones?

Jes' wonderin' ...

Online DB

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2019, 11:41:33 pm »
Our government masters have let the progressives experiment on us based on foolish theories that have no basis in fact. Can't do what is tried and true because it is "unfair"... Instead they have to dumb down everyone to the lowest common denominator and they call that "progress"...

Offline Applewood

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2019, 12:19:59 pm »
Our government masters have let the progressives experiment on us based on foolish theories that have no basis in fact. Can't do what is tried and true because it is "unfair"... Instead they have to dumb down everyone to the lowest common denominator and they call that "progress"...

These efforts to "improve" learning aren't new.  A  while back I posted my experience with so-called "modern math" which I was subjected to back in 8th grade decades ago.  "Modern math" was supposed to help prepare for learning higher math such as algebra and geometry.  All it did was cause confusion.  But at least with "modern math" I didn't get the accompanying  social justice indoctrination the kids get now.

What is wrong with teaching subjects the old fashioned way?  The old ways worked well for countless generations.  But I guess with the old ways, you can't indoctrinate like the teachers do now. 

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2019, 12:37:34 pm »
These efforts to "improve" learning aren't new.  A  while back I posted my experience with so-called "modern math" which I was subjected to back in 8th grade decades ago.  "Modern math" was supposed to help prepare for learning higher math such as algebra and geometry.  All it did was cause confusion.  But at least with "modern math" I didn't get the accompanying  social justice indoctrination the kids get now.

What is wrong with teaching subjects the old fashioned way?  The old ways worked well for countless generations.  But I guess with the old ways, you can't indoctrinate like the teachers do now.

Modern math is the reason I never properly learned math. And hated math.
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2019, 12:49:49 pm »
 As a college professor I have first-hand experience with this issue.  My students today are performing at about 85 percent of what my students were capable of five years ago. And my students five years ago were not all that great.

There is more than common core to blame for this. I would put social media and its brain-numbing dependency at the top of the list of things to blame for what may well be the least educated and most pampered generation since the advent of public education: Gen zzzzzzz.

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2019, 12:52:47 pm »
What we need are colleges that are geared toward Common Core graduates.

That way, when Joe Sixpack realizes that no one would hire anyone with a degree from one of those colleges, maybe, just maybe, he'd figure out CC's not such a good thing to do to his kids.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2019, 05:57:03 pm »
What we need are colleges that are geared toward Common Core graduates.

That way, when Joe Sixpack realizes that no one would hire anyone with a degree from one of those colleges, maybe, just maybe, he'd figure out CC's not such a good thing to do to his kids.

I am afraid it i already happening as colleges are dumbing down the curriculum to accommodate the unprepared kids. In my own university we used to require that students take at least on math class to graduate.  Now they can take a course called "women in math" and get a degree without having to actually learn to add or subtract.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2019, 06:33:25 pm »
I am afraid it i already happening as colleges are dumbing down the curriculum to accommodate the unprepared kids. In my own university we used to require that students take at least on math class to graduate.  Now they can take a course called "women in math" and get a degree without having to actually learn to add or subtract.
Fully 50 percent of incoming freshmen at the small state university at which my husband used to work were in need of remedial math and/or English classes. Public K-12 is a farce.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online berdie

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2019, 08:03:04 pm »
As a college professor I have first-hand experience with this issue.  My students today are performing at about 85 percent of what my students were capable of five years ago. And my students five years ago were not all that great.

There is more than common core to blame for this. I would put social media and its brain-numbing dependency at the top of the list of things to blame for what may well be the least educated and most pampered generation since the advent of public education: Gen zzzzzzz.

I don't think it started with them.  When one of my nieces graduated from college several years ago (in the early 90s) we were talking about travel to the east coast. I mentioned Cape Cod is beautiful. She admonished me...Cape Cod in on the Texas coast Aunt Berdie!.  She's a teacher.

I really wish they would go back to teaching the "old way". But I don't see that in our future. I blame it on government interference.