Author Topic: The Texas Minute for 10/31/2019  (Read 387 times)

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
The Texas Minute for 10/31/2019
« on: October 31, 2019, 12:21:18 pm »
Good morning!

There is nothing too spooky about today's Texas Minute.
– Michael Quinn Sullivan

•   Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick is touting his work to whittle away at the state’s budget bureaucracy. Brandon Waltens reports earlier this week an Austin news site – the Texas Tribune which relies on donations from state agencies and special interest groups – ran an article based on the grumblings of anonymous bureaucrats working for the Legislative Budget Board who are angry Patrick isn’t prioritizing them.

•   Patrick’s response? “This is absolutely right! As co-chair of the LBB, I have worked to eliminate the influence of the liberal bureaucrats who were running the LBB when I got there so we can move forward protecting taxpayer dollars and doing what the people of Texas elected us to do.”

•   The Legislative Budget Board, created by statute in 1949, makes recommendations for budget appropriations ahead of each legislative session; it consists of the lieutenant governor, the speaker of the House, and eight additional members from the House and Senate. However, the reality is that the board has turned into yet another state bureaucracy, with unelected staffers—rather than duly-elected officials—running the show.

•   A seven-state coalition seeking to intervene in an appellate court case challenging California’s ability to dictate national policy under the Clean Air Act, reports Destin Sensky. Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton says the Lone Star State is involved in the legal action as a matter of state sovereignty. 

•   â€œNo single State has the authority to create standards and regulations for other States, and the idea that California can legislate for the entire country clearly undermines state sovereignty.” – Ken Paxton

•   â€œMany officials claim Texas’ high property taxes are result of it not levying an income tax. But the data suggests the opposite is true. The 11 states w/highest property tax bills all have income tax. 6 of 10 states w/highest income taxes also levy highest property taxes.” – Ross Kecseg

•   Following a unanimous decision of the Austin Independent School District this week, Jacob Asmussen reports children as young as 8 years old will be taught high-risk sexual behavior. The curriculum teaches children that their gender is based on their feelings rather than their biological sex, and they are encouraged to “challenge homophobia” by attending LGBT pride parades. Lesson plans also instruct teachers to use gender-neutral pronouns and avoid only using “binaries” such as “mom” and “dad.”

•   The by Minority Engagement Group and Hispanic Republican Club of North Texas are hosting the Faith, Family, & Freedom conference from 7:30am to 5pm at the Cottonwood Church in Allen. The event will feature Pastor Rafael Cruz, Libre’s Roy Mendoza, and author David Harris. Learn more and RSVP.

•   We’re co-hosting a social hour this Saturday, Nov. 2, in Allen from 5pm to 7pm, following the Faith, Family, & Freedom conference. The Social Hour is free but you should pre-register. I hope to see you there!

•  Tomas Warren reports three new candidates have joined the race to replace West Texas’ outgoing Republican U.S. Rep. Mac Thornberry. Josh Winegarner and Kevin McInturff have made their candidacies official for the congressional seat in District 13, which Thornberry has held since 1995. Same goes for businessman Chris Ekstrom, who entered the race late Wednesday afternoon as a “Christian Trump Republican.”

•  They join BNSF railroad conductor Vance Snider and activist Monique Worthy in seeking for the Republican nomination. Democrat Greg Sagan is currently unopposed in his primary.

•  Companies that have pushed for more taxpayer debt are now reported to have been buying classroom supplies for teachers. Robert Montoya reports these companies would likely stand to profit from contracts should the bonds pass. Tweets from Keller ISD employees show how VLK Architects, North Texas Contracting, and “an anonymous friend of Keller ISD” gifted these employees with school supplies for the year.

Today in History

On Oct. 31, 1517, the Protestant Reformation was launched when Martin Luther posted his “95 Theses” at the door of Castle Church in Wittenberg, Germany.

Quote-Unquote

“I cannot and will not recant anything, for to go against conscience is neither right nor safe. Here I stand, I can do no other, so help me God.”
– Martin Luther