Author Topic: Texas officials set to clear homeless camps under overpasses in Austin  (Read 1545 times)

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Texas Gov. Greg Abbott (R) moved Tuesday to clear homeless camps in Austin after warning he would step in if city officials were not able to address the issue.

A notice sent out Tuesday by Abbott's office informs residents that camps under city overpasses and bridges will be cleared out by the state Department of Transportation (DOT) and police next week, local NBC affiliate KXAN reported.

The notices go on to say that the thousands of homeless in the city are welcome at the Salvation Army or other homeless shelters in the city.

“Governor Abbott has been clear that unless the City of Austin demonstrated improvements to protect public health and safety, the state of Texas would step in to address this crisis,” said a spokesman for the governor, according to KXAN. “With today’s notice from TxDOT, the Governor is following through on his promise.”

https://thehill.com/homenews/state-watch/467946-texas-officials-clearing-homeless-camps-under-overpasses-in-austin
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline berdie

Re: Texas officials set to clear homeless camps under overpasses in Austin
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2019, 08:31:23 pm »
Dallas did this "clearing" a couple of years back and put up tall fences around the areas. Some how they have returned. Not in the numbers they were, but give it time.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2019, 02:11:48 pm »
Austin’s homeless problem is out of control, and Gov. Abbott is right to act
Compassion isn’t what Austin City Hall thinks it is.
By Dallas Morning News Editorial

7:04 AM on Nov 1, 2019

It’s hard to understand how permitting people to live in danger and squalor is the compassionate approach to governing.

It is, in fact, the opposite. Yet in Austin, and in too many American cities, local governments appear to have all but given up on any policy beyond enabling people to live in the meanest conditions possible. That may work for the coasts. But it shouldn’t be policy in Texas.

In the ongoing fight between Gov. Greg Abbott and Austin Mayor Steve Adler, it appears clear that it is the governor who is actually putting the interests of all people, both the homeless and those with homes, first.  ...  Read entire editorial at Dallas News
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2019, 12:51:48 am »
Austin is just a city and cannot over-rule the state, which has ultimate authority.

And Austin needs to be sent a bill by the state to pay for the expenses of the state for removal as Austin created the problem and should have taken action for its citizens.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline corbe

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2019, 04:58:52 pm »
Texas cleared homeless camps Wednesday. On Thursday, residents were already back.

Gov. Greg Abbott announced a five-acre plot of land for homeless camping in Austin after he took action to clear people living under state overpasses.

by Davis Rich and Cassandra Pollock Nov. 7, 2019 Updated: 17 hours ago 

Crystal Brimm said she was gone all of 20 minutes.

That's all the time it took for the Texas Department of Transportation to clean the encampment where she lives under U.S. Highway 290 and Ben White Boulevard on Wednesday, after Gov. Greg Abbott ordered homeless people to be removed from state overpasses in Austin. Abbott has spent months railing against Austin and its local leaders, accusing them of worsening what he calls a dangerous homelessness crisis by relaxing camping ordinances.

About 10 people returned to that area of the overpass, down from 30 before TxDOT arrived, Brimm said as she sat in a lawn chair Thursday outside the blue camping tent she shares with her husband.

"Everybody else packed up and ran like cockroaches," she said.

As Brimm pondered her future living situation, Gov. Greg Abbott’s office unveiled his plan to provide temporary living space for Austin’s homeless — a five-acre plot of land off State Highway 183 near Montopolis Drive.

<..snip..>

https://www.texastribune.org/2019/11/07/texas-opening-5-acres-house-austin-homeless/
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline PeteS in CA

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2019, 05:13:01 pm »
As Brimm pondered her future living situation ...

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2019, 05:27:50 pm »
What they should do is round them up,put them on busses,and drop them off at the Ca border with pamphlets giving phone numbers for LA public services.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2019, 05:33:46 pm »
Texas cleared homeless camps Wednesday. On Thursday, residents were already back.

Gov. Greg Abbott announced a five-acre plot of land for homeless camping in Austin after he took action to clear people living under state overpasses.

by Davis Rich and Cassandra Pollock Nov. 7, 2019 Updated: 17 hours ago 

Crystal Brimm said she was gone all of 20 minutes.

That's all the time it took for the Texas Department of Transportation to clean the encampment where she lives under U.S. Highway 290 and Ben White Boulevard on Wednesday, after Gov. Greg Abbott ordered homeless people to be removed from state overpasses in Austin. Abbott has spent months railing against Austin and its local leaders, accusing them of worsening what he calls a dangerous homelessness crisis by relaxing camping ordinances.

About 10 people returned to that area of the overpass, down from 30 before TxDOT arrived, Brimm said as she sat in a lawn chair Thursday outside the blue camping tent she shares with her husband.

"Everybody else packed up and ran like cockroaches," she said.

As Brimm pondered her future living situation, Gov. Greg Abbott’s office unveiled his plan to provide temporary living space for Austin’s homeless — a five-acre plot of land off State Highway 183 near Montopolis Drive.

<..snip..>

https://www.texastribune.org/2019/11/07/texas-opening-5-acres-house-austin-homeless/

Sooooo...it was like waiting in the Hotel lobby while housecleaning spruces up the room?
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2019, 05:36:06 pm »
Sooooo...it was like waiting in the Hotel lobby while housecleaning spruces up the room?

@Cyber Liberty

Pretty much.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline corbe

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2019, 05:38:04 pm »
Ain't Got a Place ~ James McMurtry

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2019, 06:35:33 pm »
Just saw this posted on Drudge

Texas Governor to Establish Campground for Homeless in Austin

Escalating his feud with Austin city leaders over how to address the Texas capital’s problem of homelessness, Gov. Greg Abbott is planning to begin housing homeless people on state land.

The announcement comes just days after state officials began clearing people out from underpasses Monday, a move taken in opposition to the policy the city council adopted this summer allowing camping in public, which raised the visibility of the city’s homeless population.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/texas-governor-to-establish-campground-for-homeless-in-austin-11573153372
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2019, 06:38:20 pm »
Just saw this posted on Drudge

Texas Governor to Establish Campground for Homeless in Austin

Escalating his feud with Austin city leaders over how to address the Texas capital’s problem of homelessness, Gov. Greg Abbott is planning to begin housing homeless people on state land.

The announcement comes just days after state officials began clearing people out from underpasses Monday, a move taken in opposition to the policy the city council adopted this summer allowing camping in public, which raised the visibility of the city’s homeless population.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/texas-governor-to-establish-campground-for-homeless-in-austin-11573153372

Might be OK, if they don't let it go the way of a campground of tiny houses up in Seattle.  They've set up a fenced and gated commune with their own laws, and they don't allow any "outsiders" to enter, including City employees.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2019, 07:04:39 pm »
They should let them set up camp on UT campus.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2019, 07:22:08 pm »
Might be OK, if they don't let it go the way of a campground of tiny houses up in Seattle.  They've set up a fenced and gated commune with their own laws, and they don't allow any "outsiders" to enter, including City employees.
Is it your belief that the Governor of Texas might possibly behave the way of local Seattle officials?

If so, where do you get that belief?
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Idiot

« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2019, 07:27:42 pm »
LOLOLOLOLOLOL....exactly!

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2019, 07:39:19 pm »
Is it your belief that the Governor of Texas might possibly behave the way of local Seattle officials?

If so, where do you get that belief?

It's "not so."

I'm not concerned about Governor Abbot, he's a good one, but he isn't King of Texas any more than the President is the King of the USA.  No, I'm concerned about the bureaucrats who did the clean-up and allowed the vagrants to immediately move back in.  They would be the type to accept donated tiny houses for bums, and fence them off to keep the law out.
I will NOT comply.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2019, 07:58:51 pm »
This is a fun topic.

I know several people who would qualify as 'homeless', while being self-sufficient. They CHOOSE to live in a van by the river, or in a tent up in the sticks... No welfare, no assistance, just homeless, on purpose.

And they have no right to exist upon the king's land (Or suffer being herded into camps)...
No right to the king's deer, or fish...

That's liberty, right there...

Offline Idiot

« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2019, 08:53:58 pm »
This is a fun topic.

I know several people who would qualify as 'homeless', while being self-sufficient. They CHOOSE to live in a van by the river, or in a tent up in the sticks... No welfare, no assistance, just homeless, on purpose.

And they have no right to exist upon the king's land (Or suffer being herded into camps)...

Please post the address of your property and I'll put up posters on that underpass the next time I'm in Austin.  I'm sure you won't mind a few "visitors".  happy77

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2019, 09:31:54 pm »

On the UT stadium football field.  They don't use it anyway.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2019, 09:36:25 pm »
This is a fun topic.

The "homeless" can exist anywhere they please, as long as it doesn't cost the taxpayers anything.  TX just forked up cash to clean out a vagrant commune, so that cost the taxpayers of TX a sum > $0.00. 

Do they want Liberty?  That's it right there.  I met a fellow Monday who was happy to live in his van.  That's cool with me.  I feel sorry for him, living in my Castle, but he doesn't cost me anything.  I don't think that makes me a bad person.
I will NOT comply.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2019, 09:39:21 pm »
Please post the address of your property and I'll put up posters on that underpass the next time I'm in Austin.  I'm sure you won't mind a few "visitors".  happy77

That underpass is no one's property. That is my point.

Rivers/creeks here retain a right of passage to the high water mark regardless of being owned...
Federal and state lands eclipse private ownership here by an order of magnitude. None of that land has deed of ownership...

Shall I not hunt the king's deer? Shall I not cross his lands?
What is so different now to what we left in England?

Online roamer_1

« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2019, 09:50:46 pm »
The "homeless" can exist anywhere they please, as long as it doesn't cost the taxpayers anything.  TX just forked up cash to clean out a vagrant commune, so that cost the taxpayers of TX a sum > $0.00. 

Do they want Liberty?  That's it right there.  I met a fellow Monday who was happy to live in his van.  That's cool with me.  I feel sorry for him, living in my Castle, but he doesn't cost me anything.  I don't think that makes me a bad person.

Look, I get it that the lion's share of this is drug abuse... But in a technical sense, one is not vagrant if one is self sufficient... One is not technically loitering if he has a pocket full of cash... His intention is his own. And likewise, state and federal lands are not owned. How is it that one cannot use the lands that ARE the Peoples lands even as a form of subsistence?

In fact, that vagrant is costing you LESS than if he went into public housing.

This is a thing close to me, as I have been forced to move my camp because I had exceeded the 120 days...

And btw, it is not a thing to feel sorry for - I have always been happier living out in the sticks, and would prefer it, even in an outfitters tent in the dead of winter (which I have done).

In that day, I would have felt sorry for you and your mansion...  happy77 :seeya:

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2019, 10:22:05 pm »
Look, I get it that the lion's share of this is drug abuse... But in a technical sense, one is not vagrant if one is self sufficient... One is not technically loitering if he has a pocket full of cash... His intention is his own. And likewise, state and federal lands are not owned. How is it that one cannot use the lands that ARE the Peoples lands even as a form of subsistence?

In fact, that vagrant is costing you LESS than if he went into public housing.

This is a thing close to me, as I have been forced to move my camp because I had exceeded the 120 days...

And btw, it is not a thing to feel sorry for - I have always been happier living out in the sticks, and would prefer it, even in an outfitters tent in the dead of winter (which I have done).

In that day, I would have felt sorry for you and your mansion...  happy77 :seeya:

It's a pretty small mansion, but it has a real bar so it's big enough... :beer:

Look, underpasses are not "nobody's land," they belong to the taxpayers, who paid for them.  They should not have to clean them so the "homeless" can return like they just came back from having a maid clean it.
I will NOT comply.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2019, 10:25:54 pm »
It's a pretty small mansion, but it has a real bar so it's big enough... :beer:

Look, underpasses are not "nobody's land," they belong to the taxpayers, who paid for them.  They should not have to clean them so the "homeless" can return like they just came back from having a maid clean it.

I understand your thinking.
But you are wrong. They belong to the People. No different than BLM land just because of an edifice...

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2019, 10:33:08 pm »
I understand your thinking.
But you are wrong. They belong to the People. No different than BLM land just because of an edifice...

So, who should clean up the litter?  Or should it just be piled up, like in Idiocracy?
I will NOT comply.