Author Topic: They Asked if People Would Rather Kill a Human or a Sentient Robot Part 2  (Read 13195 times)

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
Re: They Asked if People Would Rather Kill a Human or a Sentient Robot Part 2
« Reply #75 on: October 13, 2020, 10:39:55 am »
The future of AI depends on 9 companies — if they fail, we’re doomed

Long article people

If artificial intelligence will destroy humanity, it probably won’t be through killer robots and the incarnation—it will be through a thousand paper cuts. In the shadow of the immense benefits of advances in technology, the dark effects of AI algorithms are slowly creeping into different aspects of our lives, causing divide, unintentionally marginalizing groups of people, stealing our attention, and widening the gap between the wealthy and the poor.

While we’re already seeing and discussing many of the negative aspects of AI, not enough is being done to address them. And the reason is that we’re looking in the wrong place, as futurist and Amy Webb discusses in her book The Big Nine: How the Tech Titans and Their Thinking Machines Could Warp Humanity.

Many are quick to blame large tech companies for the problems caused by artificial intelligence. They’re not wrong. A few very wealthy organizations wield enormous power on how AI systems are being developed and deployed across thousands of applications and delivered to billions of devices and users. And by extension, they are responsible for many of the problems we are facing, from algorithmic bias and social media filter bubbles to privacy issues and lack of diversity.

These companies, however, are not inherently evil and not alone to blame for the broken state of AI, Webb argues in The Big Nine. The problems run much deeper in the underlying systems that push these companies to work as they do. And if we don’t fix the problems at the root, the consequences can be disastrous.

In The Big Nine, Webb provides a comprehensive layout of the current problems of the AI industry, an outlook of what can happen in the future, and a roadmap for setting the industry on the right path.

Link redirects from an excerpt to the full article.

https://www.onenewspage.com/news.php?nid=119015362-3191
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #76 on: October 13, 2020, 10:48:29 am »
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #77 on: October 14, 2020, 08:49:28 am »
What is machine learning data poisoning?

By Ben Dickson -October 7, 2020

This article is part of Demystifying AI, a series of posts that (try to) disambiguate the jargon and myths surrounding AI.

It’s not hard to tell that the image below shows three different things: a bird, a dog, and a horse. But to a machine learning algorithm, all three might the same thing: a small white box with a black contour.

This example portrays one of the dangerous characteristics of machine learning models, which can be exploited to force them into misclassifying data. (In reality, the box could be much smaller; I’ve enlarged it here for visibility.)

machine learning data poisoning
Machine learning algorithms might look for the wrong things in images
This is an example of data poisoning, a special type of adversarial attack, a series of techniques that target the behavior of machine learning and deep learning models.

If applied successfully, data poisoning can provide malicious actors backdoor access to machine learning models and enable them to bypass systems controlled by artificial intelligence algorithms.

more at link

GIGO

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #78 on: October 14, 2020, 09:11:18 am »
I would suggest training the machine to ask the wrong questions is akin to what is being done to humans at colleges and universities. GIGO, indeed.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #79 on: October 14, 2020, 12:46:59 pm »
I would suggest training the machine to ask the wrong questions is akin to what is being done to humans at colleges and universities. GIGO, indeed.

Hacked military weapons targeting systems would account for a lot of collateral death.

"STOP! You're kiling the wrong people!"

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #80 on: October 14, 2020, 05:37:31 pm »
Hacked military weapons targeting systems would account for a lot of collateral death.

"STOP! You're kiling the wrong people!"
...and the machine replies...."let God sort them out."

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #81 on: October 24, 2020, 02:37:04 pm »
https://artificialintelligence-news.com/2020/10/23/ibm-ai-predicts-alzheimers-better-standard-tests/

By Ryan Daws | October 23, 2020 | TechForge Media

IBM has developed a new AI model which predicts the onset of Alzheimer’s better than standard clinical tests.

The AI is designed to be non-invasive and uses a short language sample from a verbal cognitive test given to a patient. Using this sample, the AI model is able to predict the onset of Alzheimer’s with around 71 percent accuracy.

For comparison, standard clinical tests are correct approximately 59 percent of the time and take much longer to diagnose. Current tests analyse the descriptive abilities of people as they age for potential warning signs.

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #82 on: October 24, 2020, 02:38:28 pm »
71% accurracy is pretty good..

Makes me wonder how well it identifies people just stuck on stupid?

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #83 on: October 25, 2020, 12:38:14 am »
How to create an AI that chats like you on WhatsApp

LOL

The goal of this guide is to build a system capable of chatting like you, using your own WhatsApp and Telegram chats as an machine learning dataset.

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #84 on: October 25, 2020, 12:39:43 am »
Can't fix stupid.

But you can replicate it.

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #85 on: October 25, 2020, 01:55:00 pm »
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2020/10/201015173131.htm

All-terrain microrobot flips through a live colon

A rectangular robot as tiny as a few human hairs can travel throughout a colon by doing back flips, Purdue University engineers have demonstrated in live animal models.

More at link

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #86 on: October 25, 2020, 01:56:07 pm »
What everyone needs. A robot doing back flips in their....

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #87 on: October 25, 2020, 02:31:57 pm »
What everyone needs. A robot doing back flips in their....

When they come up with one that moves like an inchworm, I'm outta here....
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #88 on: October 25, 2020, 02:41:15 pm »
When they come up with one that moves like an inchworm, I'm outta here....

Almost makes me miss my pet tapeworm Obiwan.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #89 on: October 25, 2020, 02:48:32 pm »
Almost makes me miss my pet tapeworm Obiwan.

Did Obiwan keep you slim and trim for all those years?
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #90 on: October 25, 2020, 03:19:35 pm »
Did Obiwan keep you slim and trim for all those years?

Only because he wouldn't shut up. That know it all BS. Year after year. Kept threatening to reach down my throat and strangle the SOB. Got tired of him always chewing  my a$$.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #91 on: October 26, 2020, 01:58:43 am »
Only because he wouldn't shut up. That know it all BS. Year after year. Kept threatening to reach down my throat and strangle the SOB. Got tired of him always chewing  my a$$.
And here I thought they were the ideal pet. They go where you go, eat what you eat, don't bite the neighbor's kid (even when they deserve it)...Don't chew the spines off of low shelved books, or make a mess on the carpet...they can even fly with you for free...

C S Lewis

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #92 on: October 26, 2020, 02:04:13 am »
And here I thought they were the ideal pet. They go where you go, eat what you eat, don't bite the neighbor's kid (even when they deserve it)...Don't chew the spines off of low shelved books, or make a mess on the carpet...they can even fly with you for free...

The Goa'uld multiply like rabbits...
I will NOT comply.

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #93 on: October 27, 2020, 12:44:07 pm »
Scientists develop 'mini-brains' to help robots recognize pain and to self-repair

Using a brain-inspired approach, scientists from Nanyang Technological University, Singapore (NTU Singapore) have developed a way for robots to have the artificial intelligence (AI) to recognise pain and to self-repair when damaged.

The system has AI-enabled sensor nodes to process and respond to 'pain' arising from pressure exerted by a physical force. The system also allows the robot to detect and repair its own damage when minorly 'injured', without the need for human intervention.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2020/10/201015101812.htm

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #94 on: October 27, 2020, 12:45:37 pm »
If a robot can inflict pain, it should be they can feel it, too.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #95 on: October 27, 2020, 03:39:43 pm »
If a robot can inflict pain, it should be they can feel it, too.

Feedback circuits do exist. Like if  your roomba sucks up a sock, the rollers have a circuit to detect it.

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #96 on: October 27, 2020, 11:19:14 pm »
Feedback circuits do exist. Like if  your roomba sucks up a sock, the rollers have a circuit to detect it.

Feedback circuits. If a romba eats a sock does it get stuck in an endless loop or does it teleport the sock to the dark side of the moon like clothes dryers do?
« Last Edit: October 27, 2020, 11:41:52 pm by bigheadfred »

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #97 on: October 28, 2020, 12:10:02 am »

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Think I'll buy my dad one for xmas.

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #98 on: October 28, 2020, 12:17:00 am »

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Think I'll buy my dad one for xmas.

I just set up a 4 camera security system. I didn't aim to spy on the neighbors, but it sure ended the 3 a.m. fights out side the across the street neighbors are fond of doing.  This looks cool.

About the only thing I have worth stealing is a four camera security system.

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #99 on: October 30, 2020, 03:25:47 pm »
The AI Company Helping the Pentagon Assess Disinfo Campaigns

Primer can quickly sort through hundreds of sources to identify, say, Russian interference in Azerbaijan. It sells its tech to Walmart too.

Walmart could use some intelligence. No matter the source.

https://www.wired.com/story/ai-helping-pentagon-assess-disinfo-campaigns/

More at link