Author Topic: The Texas Minute for 10/28/2019  (Read 394 times)

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
The Texas Minute for 10/28/2019
« on: October 28, 2019, 11:24:50 pm »
Good morning,

Following a legislative session roundly derided as “purple,” Gov. Greg Abbott has yet to call a special session for the purpose of enacting the Lone Star Agenda.

Here is today's Texas Minute.

– Michael Quinn Sullivan

•   More than a month has passed since Gov. Abbott was asked to call a special session addressing commonsense issues and pro-taxpayer reforms that were either killed or ignored in the “purple” session over which he, Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick, and the disgraced House Speaker Dennis Bonnen presided.

•   Purple, of course, refers to the fact that while some Republican “red” bills passed the Republican-dominated legislature, a lot of Democrat “blue” bills were passed as well in an effort to please (or at least appease) liberals. This strange political and legislative strategy denied conservatives long-sought victories, depressed the GOP base, and energized Democrats.

•   Even the property tax relief touted as the cause célèbre during the session has largely fizzled; most Texans won't see any relief, and the average homeowner "will pay higher taxes."

•   In response, grassroots activists developed the Lone Star Agenda this summer – spearheaded by Austin businessman Don Dyer.

•   More than 275 groups and organizations across Texas have put their support behind the Lone Star Agenda. That’s because Texans were disappointed with the lackluster results of the legislative session, and expect Republican lawmakers to deliver something better ahead of the 2020 elections.

•   Since then, the state’s political scene has been roiled as the duplicitous and dishonorable behavior of Speaker Bonnen was revealed – resulting in grassroots activists pressuring legislators to demand his retirement from public office last week.

•   By calling a special session on the Lone Star Agenda, Gov. Abbott could not only set right the policy fights surrendered during the regular session, but also excite voters with real results Texans can be proud of. As a benefit, a special session would allow House Republicans the opportunity to elect an honorable speaker to lead the chamber in 2020.

•   So why hasn’t Greg Abbott listened? Why won’t he take action? What is the governor hiding from? Who is he trying to protect?

•   Some Republican leaders have privately fretted about Abbott calling a special session for any reason. They fear he might add in topics limiting Texas’ Second Amendment rights. That concern seems to speak volumes about the frustrations that led to the Lone Star Agenda in the first place.

Standing Together

On Saturday I was surprised to receive the “Defender of Life” Award from Texas Right to Life, the state’s largest and oldest pro-life group. Over the last several months dealing with the Bonnen Scandal I have learned that it is easy to stand strong when standing among friends. I have found that shared burdens are so much easier to carry when borne with allies. While honored to receive the award, I did so mindful of the sacrifice, actions, and encouragement of so many Texans among whom I am honored to fight alongside every day for a better, stronger Texas. Thank you!

Quote-Unquote

“The worst evils which mankind has ever had to endure were inflicted by bad governments.”

– Ludwig von Mises