Author Topic: The Texas Minute for 10/25/2019  (Read 407 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
The Texas Minute for 10/25/2019
« on: October 25, 2019, 12:04:12 pm »
Good morning,
Here is today's Texas Minute.

– Michael Quinn Sullivan

•   In what can only be described as a horrific tragedy, a Metroplex jury this week sided with a child’s non-biological mother, who wants to begin medical treatments that will “transition” her 7-year-old son to a girl. Robert Montoya reports the irreversible medical treatment is opposed by the child’s father.

•   Indeed, Jeffrey Younger – the father of the 7-year-old, James – argues this is being done against his son’s will. At present, there are no laws in Texas limiting the use of puberty blockers or cross-sex hormones, nor are there requirements for an age of consent for the procedure. Late Thursday afternoon, the judge in the case issued an order saying the father retains joint conservatorship of James, meaning that – despite the jury ruling – the dad will at least have a say in the boy’s care. Brandon Waltens has those details.

•   As Cary Cheshire noted on Twitter, Mr. Younger and many grassroots activists around the state spent the entire legislative session begging lawmakers to address the issue. Lawmakers failed to act then, but want credit for weeping crocodile tears now.

•   Brazoria County District Attorney Jerri Yenni announced yesterday morning she will not pursue criminal charges against Speaker Dennis Bonnen for the unethical quid pro quo proposal he made to me in June. (He offered to take an official government action if I withheld political spending against him and targeted his opponents.) Brandon Waltens has the details. Yenni’s announcement came two days after Bonnen announced his retirement from the Texas House at the prodding of activists and lawmakers.

•   D.A. Yenni referred to Bonnen’s actions as “offensive, lacking in character and integrity, demeaning” and “repugnant,” yet she concluded there was insufficient evidence “to warrant a criminal prosecution” of Speaker Bonnen. His remaining supporters whined that he had been defamed and presumed guilty, and treated Yenni’s decision not to prosecute as some sort of vindication.

•   But let’s be clear: No one treated Bonnen as “guilty until proven innocent.”  He was investigated like any other citizen based on law enforcement concerns. His reputation is ruined because Bonnen’s colleagues determined that his ethics are questionable, regardless of the legality of his actions. The fact he lied about everything is why he is defamed, not because of any statements by others.

•   Texans should ask why men like President Donald Trump, former U.S. House Majority Leader Tom Delay, former Gov. Rick Perry, and Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton find themselves prosecuted or indicted for little or nothing, while unethical guys like Speaker Bonnen do not. The answer, I have come to believe, is simple: the criminal justice system is highly political and often illegitimate. It needs to be reformed.

•   Erin Anderson reports former Irving Mayor and Trump administration official Beth Van Duyne has made a strong fundraising start in her bid to represent Texas’ 24th Congressional District. She has raised almost $350,000 just weeks after launching her campaign.

•   A poll conducted earlier this year by the University of Texas found 71% of Texans say the state should not consider a state income tax – even to fund public education. Opposing an income tax is written into Texas’ DNA. Yet I am hearing from some Republican lawmakers that they fear the proposition banning one could be having trouble on the ballot. If GOP legislators can’t craft and sell a constitutional amendment on an issue nearly three-quarters of all Texans agree on, we have big problems on our hands.

Friday Reflection

One of my favorite stops in Israel is the archeological tel known popularly as Ancient Shiloh. This is the spot where the Tabernacle of God stood for more than 350 years before moving to Jerusalem.

This is where Hannah brought her son Samuel and dedicated him to the service of God. This is where the people later came to Samuel, rejecting the system of self-governance God had given them and demanding he establish a monarchy despite severe warnings from God.

Those warnings came to fruition over the next several decades; trading out God’s wisdom for the baubles of the world is never a good trade. The Psalmist – who was very likely Israel’s second king, David – grappled with being a ruler as surely as with the painful awareness of his own inadequacy and sin.

In Psalm 146:3-7 we find:

Put not your trust in princes, in a son of man, in whom there is no salvation. When his breath departs, he returns to the earth; on that very day his plans perish. Blessed is he whose help is the God of Jacob, whose hope is in the LORD his God, who made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that is in them, who keeps faith forever; who executes justice for the oppressed, who gives food to the hungry.

There is truly nothing new under the sun! Then as now we find too many people casting their hopes in the personalities of government rather than the eternal God of Jacob. True justice – peace and mercy – is found with the Creator of the Universe, not self-serving politicians.

Just as we cannot trust government agencies to save us, neither can we outsource our governing responsibilities to corruptible politicians. The British statesman and philosopher Lord Acton was right: “Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely.” To protect our public servants from corruption, we must limit the power available to them.

The God who made us in His image calls us to be a self-governing people.

Number of the Day
71%
Percentage of Texans in February 2019 who said the state should not consider imposing an income tax to fund public education.

Quote-Unquote
“When I feel the heat, I see the light.”
– Everett Dirksen

Offline GrouchoTex

Re: The Texas Minute for 10/25/2019
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2019, 03:19:17 pm »
Thanks for this.

I liked :

•   Texans should ask why men like President Donald Trump, former U.S. House Majority Leader Tom Delay, former Gov. Rick Perry, and Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton find themselves prosecuted or indicted for little or nothing, while unethical guys like Speaker Bonnen do not. The answer, I have come to believe, is simple: the criminal justice system is highly political and often illegitimate. It needs to be reformed.