Author Topic: In many parts of Mexico, government ceded battle to cartels  (Read 420 times)

Offline riverdale-74

In many parts of Mexico, government ceded battle to cartels
« on: October 19, 2019, 08:50:10 pm »
The Mexican city of Culiacan lived under drug cartel terror for 12 hours as gang members forced the government to free a drug lord’s son, but in many parts of Mexico, the government ceded the battle to the gangs long ago.

https://www.apnews.com/231aec4552f040e49095f77968e6345c

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Re: In many parts of Mexico, government ceded battle to cartels
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2019, 09:05:04 pm »
Good article, when I use to go to Mexico ever so often, it came off to me as you know, really "dirt poor", now all of these "Narco-Soldiers", "Sicarios", they certainly drive some pretty nice vehicles in general.

Yes, I followed this, they took in Chapos son and within a short time, they were able to get a "mini-army" in there for the Narcos.

Culiacan has long been at the heart of the Mexican drug empire. I"m not totally versed in this but I think there main drug, there in Sinaloa has been growing Poppies, Heroin in other words. Can't they find these fields and destroy them? Set them on fire? I think they have done that some.

Good pictures at link, if one is curious.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2019, 09:12:08 pm »

In this Oct. 17, 2019 photo, unidentified gunmen block a street in Culiacan, Mexico. An intense gunfight with heavy weapons and burning vehicles blocking roads raged in the capital of Mexico’s Sinaloa state Thursday after security forces located one of Joaquín “El Chapo” Guzmán’s sons who is wanted in the U.S. on drug trafficking charges. (AP Photo/Augusto Zurita)

Unidentified but I take it, these are the criminal element.

Not only do they have nice cars, some of the background doesn't look that bad either, per being "poor",  most of those cities had the beggars. Economically, it has picked up, despite this unbelievable war, the economy, within limits, does fairly well... but a picture like this really shows how big the cartels are. There were pictures of trucks and so on, with probably whomever they could get together on this, speeding to the scene.

It's stupid not to have the wall or some kind of additional safeguards at the border, they've got a narco-army, we probably need a bit more than the Border Patrol.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2019, 10:44:33 pm »
The Mexican government, the Mexican army -- they'll never defeat the cartels (which seem to be growing continually stronger).

That task will fall to the United States, eventually.
By means of a military invasion that treats the cartels same as isis, and deals with their leadership in the same way.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2019, 11:44:32 pm »
Not hard to figure out how that happened. The cartels  have more money to spend for social welfare and other popular programs than the local government officials,so they BECOME the government for many.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Absalom

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2019, 02:15:19 am »
Man, while created imperfect, is capable of betterment which
his culture/society must have, in order to develop and prosper.
Yet Latin America has not improved since early times, being
mired in its tribal heritage and legacy.
The drug cartels are simply a current manifestation of its
endless focus on material wealth and power while ignoring
honor, perseverance, responsibility, self-discipline and work.
The reason Latin America as well as its sister continent 5000
miles to its east, is the essence of the third world is as obvious
as 2+2=4. Both are addicted to chronic/compulsive bad behavior!!!
« Last Edit: October 20, 2019, 02:26:41 am by Absalom »

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2019, 02:34:40 am »
What scares me is the day they come here + overwhelm our local and/or state govt.
The Republic is lost.

Offline riverdale-74

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2019, 10:16:46 am »
The Mexican government, the Mexican army -- they'll never defeat the cartels (which seem to be growing continually stronger).

By means of a military invasion that treats the cartels same as isis, and deals with their leadership in the same way.

I agree with this and I believe this applies to the Central American "Northern Triangle" states also, if not even more.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2019, 12:23:16 pm »
I agree with this and I believe this applies to the Central American "Northern Triangle" states also, if not even more.

Welcome!
The Republic is lost.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2019, 04:16:29 pm »

@Fishrrman

As much as I hate the idea,I have to agree with the conclusions.

BTW,for those of you not familiar with some of the options available,this does NOT mean a full-scale military invasion and take over of the country. It means selective targets taken where found and when found,along with highly-qualified geeks following the money trail and seizing all their cash and other assets,SOME of which could be/should be returned to local governments to rebuild their infrastructure to better provide for their citizens so there aren't so damn many of them coming here.

There is NO need to make war with a nation,when you have the option of only making war against the people from that nation that are causing the problems.

And to follow up,we need to come down on their American accomplices on this side of the border like a ton of cement. NO UNNECESSARY deaths if we can seize them alive,but NO mercy in the courts if they are found guilty on felony offenses that resulted in the deaths of American citizens,unless the individual specified was a flunky that was an observer instead of someone who either made the decision or personally took part in the incident,and is willing to testify against the defendants in court.

NO SECRET COURTS,either!

The ones found guilty and sentenced to death should be put to death within 30 days after a judicial review by another court.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2019, 04:18:04 pm »
What scares me is the day they come here + overwhelm our local and/or state govt.

@Free Vulcan

That will be the very same day that I and many others take up our rifles and go into politics.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2019, 07:41:47 pm »

Shoppers enjoy Walmart hospitality in Culiacán.

Offered blankets and food, shoppers bunk down in Culiacán Walmart
Published on Saturday, October 19, 2019

A Walmart store in Culiacán, Sinaloa, offered refuge to shoppers trapped inside the store on Thursday when fighting erupted between Sinaloa Cartel gunmen and security forces.

The shoppers, mostly women, were afraid to leave the store because of the shooting, and Walmart obliged, providing food, blankets, diapers and mattresses.

“I’m one of the people who’s still inside the Walmart, and honestly, it was scary but I have nothing to complain about,” one Facebook user wrote. “Walmart La Isla, in Culiacán, has treated us very well, protecting us, giving us something to eat and a place to sleep. Now it’s almost 7:00am and I want to leave, but they haven’t opened up the store yet, and we can still hear shooting outside.”

More at: https://mexiconewsdaily.com/news/shoppers-bunk-down-in-culiacan-walmart/

Durazo, left: 'failed operation; Sandoval: 'hasty execution.'

Military admits poor planning, hasty actions led to Culiacán shootouts
'Failed operation' left eight people dead after Sinaloa Cartel struck back at security forces
Published on Friday, October 18, 2019

Federal security officials admitted on Friday that the operation to capture a son of Joaquín “El Chapo” Guzmán in Culiacán, Sinaloa, on Thursday was poorly planned and hastily executed.

National Defense Secretary Luis Cresencio Sandoval told a press conference in the northern city that Federal Police officers, soldiers and National Guard members who participated in the operation to apprehend Ovidio Guzmán López “acted in a hasty manner” due to “their eagerness to obtain positive results.”

The arrest of the 28-year-old Sinaloa Cartel leader triggered a wave of attacks that terrorized residents of the Sinaloa capital on Thursday afternoon and left eight people dead.

Read more at: https://mexiconewsdaily.com/news/military-admits-poor-planning-hasty-actions-led-to-culiacan-shootouts/

I have posted this before, she largely nails what has gone wrong down there even though, she said this 7,8 years ago.

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1