Author Topic: Washington subsidies not helping the wind industry  (Read 1049 times)

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Washington subsidies not helping the wind industry
« on: October 19, 2019, 08:17:12 pm »
Last week the lobbying arm of the wind energy industry made an unsurprising, though somewhat embarrassing, announcement. It wants a longer lifeline with federal subsidies. So much for wind being the low-cost energy source of the future. 

Less than a year ago, the American Wind Energy Association had with great fanfare issued a press statement that as Bloomberg reported: “America’s wind farms are ready to go it alone.” Sen. Chuck Grassley of Iowa, a Republican who has strongly supported the wind industry since the days of federal support began in 1992, boasted that the wind industry has finally “matured” and that wind farms were “ready to compete.”

Never mind.

Big Wind’s change of heart was predictable because when this tax giveaway — which basically requires taxpayers to underwrite 30 percent of the cost of wind energy production — was first enacted, the renewable energy lobby promised that it would lift itself out of the federal wheelchair and walk on its own within five years. But like clockwork, every five years they have come back to Congress pleading for an extension — much like Oliver with his porridge bowl asking: “Please, sir, could I have some more.”
https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2019/oct/18/washington-subsidies-not-helping-the-wind-industry/
from article: Subsidies can be as addictive as heroin.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2019, 08:20:03 pm by IsailedawayfromFR »
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Joe Wooten

Re: Washington subsidies not helping the wind industry
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2019, 12:28:04 pm »
Wind and solar will never be competitive without massive subsidies from Uncle Sam. Never.

Offline kidd

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2019, 09:41:24 pm »
Agreed. Both are best suited for specialty applications.
Even with significant improvements in their technology, both require a reliable base source of power as a backup or some mode of stored energy, both of which add to their cost.

Offline PeteS in CA

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2019, 01:02:33 pm »
Subsidies lock users and producers into technologies that cannot be economically viable. In the medium and long term the best thing that can be done for the nation is to drop all wind and solar subsidies and mandatory buying percentages imposed on utilities.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2019, 07:25:42 pm »
I haven't read this yet,but I am going to go out on a limb and say their claim all they need is more money.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline OfTheCross

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2019, 07:37:21 pm »
The government subsidizes darn near every major sector. Is there a database where we can see how much each industry gets?
If a well-regulated militia be the most natural defense of a free country, it ought certainly to be under the regulation and at the disposal of that body which is constituted the guardian of the national security.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2019, 07:46:08 pm »
Wind and solar will never be competitive without massive subsidies from Uncle Sam. Never.

:yowsa:   :amen:  Couldn't have said it any better myself.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2019, 07:47:22 pm »
Subsidies lock users and producers into technologies that cannot be economically viable. In the medium and long term the best thing that can be done for the nation is to drop all wind and solar subsidies and mandatory buying percentages imposed on utilities.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2019, 08:02:19 pm »

@PeteS in CA

True,but the "connected people" are making too much money out of it to allow that to happen. In the last year some solar power company actually bought up a golf course to turn it into a wind farm,and you can bet your bippy that purchase and the construction were subsidized.

Best of all,from their viewpoint,even when/if the solar farm is shut down due to being unproductive,they will still own all that prime property and can sell it,or even turn it back into a golf course again.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2019, 08:44:43 pm »
The government subsidizes darn near every major sector. Is there a database where we can see how much each industry gets?
A better database would be which private companies or individuals get that govt money.

Always, always follow the money.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2019, 09:00:50 pm »

Just because a "sector" gets subsidies in your words, is not a justification for same.
Why not admit that you are not an accountant, or energy expert, but instead you are just repeating what you find on leftist sources.

@OfTheCross
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline OfTheCross

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2019, 11:45:59 pm »
Just because a "sector" gets subsidies in your words, is not a justification for same.
Why not admit that you are not an accountant, or energy expert, but instead you are just repeating what you find on leftist sources.

@OfTheCross

I'm just asking for information.
If a well-regulated militia be the most natural defense of a free country, it ought certainly to be under the regulation and at the disposal of that body which is constituted the guardian of the national security.

Offline Joe Wooten

« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2019, 01:09:58 am »

Admittedly from 12 years ago, but still relevant for the relative scale of power subsidies.

https://www.powermag.com/chart-a-new-course/

Offline thackney

« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2019, 07:05:22 pm »

https://spectrum.ieee.org/energywise/energy/policy/how-much-does-the-us-government-subsidize-electricity-generating-technologies

All in, electricity technologies receive financial support worth $3–5/MWh. That works out to $30 to $60 per capita.

Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2019, 08:28:32 pm »
You would think with all the hot wind blowing during the workups to the 2020 elections that wind-powered electrical plants would be blooming.