Author Topic: Trump says Texas ‘made a fortune’ on Hurricane Harvey  (Read 1238 times)

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Houston Chronicle by  Jeremy Wallace Oct. 18, 2019

President Donald Trump called a potential coastal spine system to protect Houston and its shipping channels a “crazy thing” and scoffed at the price tag on Thursday.

During his campaign rally at the American Airline Center in Dallas, Trump said he gave billions and billions of dollars already to the state for Hurricane Harvey recovery efforts.

“You made a fortune on the hurricane,” Trump said of Hurricane Harvey, which devastated Houston and much of Southeast Texas in 2017, killing more than 100 people and destroying or damaging more than 100,000 homes.

More: https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/politics/texas/article/Trump-says-Texas-made-a-fortune-on-14544214.php

Offline libertybele

Re: Trump says Texas ‘made a fortune’ on Hurricane Harvey
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2019, 02:34:04 pm »
 :shrug:  Not exactly the right thing to say to those in TX expecting their vote as hurricane Harvey was devastating and pounded TX with rain for days.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Night Hides Not

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2019, 01:21:48 am »
:shrug:  Not exactly the right thing to say to those in TX expecting their vote as hurricane Harvey was devastating and pounded TX with rain for days.

Aw c’mon, he was only kidding.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2019, 02:44:49 am »
If he is talking about federal dollars, I agree with him.

Why does a local emergency demand anybody else to pay up?
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2019, 07:07:05 am »

Shush up, Mr. Crockett. Just think of the kickbacks on the construction projects alone!
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline libertybele

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2019, 11:38:28 am »

Seriously?   Hurricane Harvey impacted over 13 MILLION people and dumped 27 TRILLION (with a t) gallons of rain over TX. 1/3 of Houston was underwater.  $$ also went later to Irma after she hit FL and Puerto Rico.

Based on my own personal experiences and information given to me by my insurance companies and what many people don't realize is that when you purchase FEMA flood insurance it will ONLY cover up to $250,000.00. FEMA flood insurance has to be purchased in addition to homeowner's insurance and in addition to that hurricane insurance needs to be purchased. Homeowner's insurance does NOT pay anything out for hurricane damage and the hurricane insurance will ONLY cover wind damage.  So basically as a homeowner (living in FL) I pay for 3 different types of insurance and it will ONLY cover a maximum of $250,000 if the home is damaged or destroyed by flooding from a hurricane.  So, if one has a home valued above $250,000, you must come up with the monies out of pocket to cover the additional expenses including the insurance deductibles. That is where disaster relief comes into play and from my understanding, that comes from the government in low interest loans which need to be repaid.

I find Trump's comment insulting to those who went through days of hell from unrelenting rain, flooding, and wind damage and who had their homes destroyed.  They don't have his millions to rebuild or live in a luxurious hotel while the waters recede and their homes are being rebuilt. Ever try to find an available contractor to do the work after a hurricane hits?  You are put on a long waiting list.

Here are pics before and after of Harvey:

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/houston-weather/hurricaneharvey/article/Then-and-now-photos-show-how-Hurricane-Harvey-13155174.php

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2019, 12:05:26 pm »
Good explanation @libertybele.  I might add that much of the supposed federal aid after a disaster goes to the local governments for so-called infrastructure repair.  I suspect that in many cases, most of the money ends up in the local politicians' pockets.  In any event, the people who could use the help don't get it. 

If anyone wants to be mad about federal disaster relief, they should be mad at the politicians who steal this money and the lazy feds who don't bother to ensure that the money goes where it's needed.   
« Last Edit: October 20, 2019, 12:32:28 pm by Applewood »

Offline libertybele

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2019, 12:07:42 pm »
Goo explanation @libertybele.  I might add that much of the supposed federal aid after a disaster goes to the local governments for so-called infrastructure repair.  I suspect that in many cases, most of the money ends up in the local politicians' pockets.  In any event, the people who could use the help don't get it. 

If anyone wants to be mad about federal disaster relief, they should be mad at the politicians who steal this money and the lazy feds who don't bother to ensure that the money goes where it's needed.

:amen:

Offline Neverdul

• Moderator Gubernatorial and State Races
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2019, 12:17:03 pm »
Aw c’mon, he was only kidding.

I agree. The Trump presidency has been one big joke.
So This Is How Liberty Dies, With Thunderous Applause

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2019, 09:29:31 pm »
Good explanation @libertybele.  I might add that much of the supposed federal aid after a disaster goes to the local governments for so-called infrastructure repair.  I suspect that in many cases, most of the money ends up in the local politicians' pockets.  In any event, the people who could use the help don't get it. 

I'm guessing that was his point. He said Texas, not TexaNs. Individually, people got hurt, even if they were insured. No two ways about that. But someone cashed in on the programs, the relief funds, and the people best situated to do that are used to shuffling the very sorts of paperwork that is required to do so, unlike the average homeowner.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline skeeter

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2019, 10:07:43 pm »
If Trump used the same words with respect to California wildfires that killed dozens I'd understand exactly what he meant.

You have to be seeking offense to be outraged by this.

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2019, 11:33:17 pm »
The supposed "gain" that communities make from gov. aid after disasters hit has been debunked numerous times.
The money/time that is spent on repair, etc. is money/time that could have been spent in productive ways.

« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2019, 01:15:36 am »
Seriously?   Hurricane Harvey impacted over 13 MILLION people and dumped 27 TRILLION (with a t) gallons of rain over TX. 1/3 of Houston was underwater.  $$ also went later to Irma after she hit FL and Puerto Rico.

Based on my own personal experiences and information given to me by my insurance companies and what many people don't realize is that when you purchase FEMA flood insurance it will ONLY cover up to $250,000.00. FEMA flood insurance has to be purchased in addition to homeowner's insurance and in addition to that hurricane insurance needs to be purchased. Homeowner's insurance does NOT pay anything out for hurricane damage and the hurricane insurance will ONLY cover wind damage.  So basically as a homeowner (living in FL) I pay for 3 different types of insurance and it will ONLY cover a maximum of $250,000 if the home is damaged or destroyed by flooding from a hurricane.  So, if one has a home valued above $250,000, you must come up with the monies out of pocket to cover the additional expenses including the insurance deductibles. That is where disaster relief comes into play and from my understanding, that comes from the government in low interest loans which need to be repaid.

I find Trump's comment insulting to those who went through days of hell from unrelenting rain, flooding, and wind damage and who had their homes destroyed.  They don't have his millions to rebuild or live in a luxurious hotel while the waters recede and their homes are being rebuilt. Ever try to find an available contractor to do the work after a hurricane hits?  You are put on a long waiting list.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/houston-weather/hurricaneharvey/article/Then-and-now-photos-show-how-Hurricane-Harvey-13155174.php
It is a local emergency.  No one ever said it was not a tragedy.

Why should ANY federal dollars get spent? 

What do you think the Constitutional role of the federal government should be?
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2019, 04:12:09 am »

Flood insurance is not legally required, but is probably required for a mortgage.  The federal program is the most popular choice, but not the only one.  If you need more than $250,000 in coverage you can (or your bank may require you to) purchase what is known as excess flood insurance.

I've had several homeowner's policies from different companies, and every one has covered hurricane, usually with a separate deductible for hurricane.  I just checked, and the hurricane coverage portion of my premium is right about 1/3 of the total.  I don't know if I could remove the hurricane coverage and get (or not get) separate coverage (but I can't see that it'd be worth it to have two insurance companies to argue with in case of a claim).  As much as insurance costs these days, I think I'd check to make sure you're not paying twice for hurricane.

P.S.  Last year I asked my agent why the personal property replacement coverage of my flood policy was so high when I don't have a lot of fancy stuff.  Saved $1,000/year by reducing it.  Which is great - until I think about all the money I wasted over the years paying for something I'd never use.  I certainly never asked for that much coverage.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2019, 04:16:56 am »
I know a few dozen people who live near me, whose homes were almost completely submerged with the 50+ inch storm.

They sure didn't make a fortune, all were out their insurance deductables, took huge hits with temporary housing, and based on replacement cost insurance provisions, took financial hits there too.

This POTUS has an incredible pentchant for saying the most stupid things.  And claiming or alluding that these poor folks made a fortune, is actually despicable. 
« Last Edit: October 21, 2019, 04:18:44 am by catfish1957 »
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2019, 12:20:10 pm »
I know a few dozen people who live near me, whose homes were almost completely submerged with the 50+ inch storm.

They sure didn't make a fortune, all were out their insurance deductables, took huge hits with temporary housing, and based on replacement cost insurance provisions, took financial hits there too.

This POTUS has an incredible pentchant for saying the most stupid things.  And claiming or alluding that these poor folks made a fortune, is actually despicable.
I try to keep his frequent inane comments separate from his actions, but sometimes you just shake your head. He has a bad habit of speaking out loud everything that pops into his head, intelligent or stupid.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2019, 02:21:30 pm »
Trump says Texas ‘made a fortune’ on Hurricane Harvey

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2019, 06:52:11 pm »
It wasn't the first time he has made a gaffe concerning Harvey.
A lot of private citizens went in with their own boats into flooded neighborhoods to rescue people.
Many came from out-of-state, like the "Cajun Navy" group, who does this.

Trump said there were too many private citizens "sight-seeing" in their boats, and keeping police, fire, and rescue personnel from doing their jobs.

The odd thing is, we never once heard any of the LEO or Firefighters complain about this.
When we would see them on TV or heard them on the radio, they always seemed to complement those who showed up to help.

As far as the making money deal, well, yeah, a lot of money went into repairing the damage, but that's not quite the same.
To say a lot of money was spent would be more accurate than saying a lot of money was made, but both statements are true, I suppose.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2019, 06:56:16 pm by GrouchoTex »

« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2019, 07:37:09 pm »
It is a local emergency.  No one ever said it was not a tragedy.

Why should ANY federal dollars get spent? 

What do you think the Constitutional role of the federal government should be?
Let's say this another way:

There is on the November ballot for the state of Texas a constitutional amendment #8 which is requesting the citizens to authorize the creation of a flood infrastructure fund to spend for flooding and drainage projects.

If this amendment fails, is it your belief that the federal government should be the one to pony up money to perform these tasks instead for the state?

@libertybele

Offline thackney

« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2019, 08:03:22 pm »
Let's say this another way:

There is on the November ballot for the state of Texas a constitutional amendment #8 which is requesting the citizens to authorize the creation of a flood infrastructure fund to spend for flooding and drainage projects.

If this amendment fails, is it your belief that the federal government should be the one to pony up money to perform these tasks instead for the state?

@libertybele

I would be more than willing to say no federal funds, right after the federal government stops collecting taxes to pay for things not in the constitution.  Don't take it from me and I won't request some of it back.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2019, 08:31:50 pm »
I would be more than willing to say no federal funds, right after the federal government stops collecting taxes to pay for things not in the constitution.  Don't take it from me and I won't request some of it back.
Fair enough, but that is not what was asked.

Online berdie

« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2019, 08:41:57 pm »
It wasn't the first time he has made a gaffe concerning Harvey.
A lot of private citizens went in with their own boats into flooded neighborhoods to rescue people.
Many came from out-of-state, like the "Cajun Navy" group, who does this.

Trump said there were too many private citizens "sight-seeing" in their boats, and keeping police, fire, and rescue personnel from doing their jobs.

The odd thing is, we never once heard any of the LEO or Firefighters complain about this.
When we would see them on TV or heard them on the radio, they always seemed to complement those who showed up to help.

As far as the making money deal, well, yeah, a lot of money went into repairing the damage, but that's not quite the same.
To say a lot of money was spent would be more accurate than saying a lot of money was made, but both statements are true, I suppose.

Everything you wrote is true. And I'll add...sometimes Trump just says some dumb, off-the-wall things that raise my hackles.

Offline thackney

« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2019, 09:06:09 pm »
Fair enough, but that is not what was asked.

So the question is, "Should excess taxes be taken from Texas and spent in other states?"

« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2019, 12:34:45 am »
So the question is, "Should excess taxes be taken from Texas and spent in other states?"
That is a separate question.

The answer is of course not.

The question I had asked is basically if the citizens of Texas turn down expenditures for their own state projects, should the federal government be who funds those projects?

Offline thackney

« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2019, 06:19:42 pm »
That is a separate question.

The answer is of course not.

The question I had asked is basically if the citizens of Texas turn down expenditures for their own state projects, should the federal government be who funds those projects?

No, the federal funds only come with greater level funding from within the state.