Author Topic: Democrats introduce 'THUG Act' to block funding for G-7 at Trump resort  (Read 365 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Democrats introduce 'THUG Act' to block funding for G-7 at Trump resort
By Tal Axelrod - 10/18/19 08:58 PM EDT

Democrats introduced legislation Friday that would block federal funding for next year’s Group of Seven (G-7) summit at Trump National Doral Miami.

Democratic Reps. Lois Frankel (Fla.), Bennie Thompson (Miss.) and Steve Cohen (Tenn.) introduced the Trump’s Heist Undermines the G-7 (THUG) Act after acting White House chief of staff Mick Mulvaney told reporters Thursday that the Trump resort near Miami will host the annual summit of world leaders June 10-12.

A companion bill is being introduced in the Senate by Democratic Sens. Richard Blumenthal (Conn.) and Sheldon Whitehouse (R.I.).

https://thehill.com/homenews/house/466554-dems-introduce-thug-act-to-block-funding-for-g-7-at-trump-hotel?fbclid=IwAR1Yya7rwTntkaQMD5X1mhkoCgItT9xQj4CRRyNE30X0Df9U7kUmS5niUXM
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline OfTheCross

Re: Democrats introduce 'THUG Act' to block funding for G-7 at Trump resort
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2019, 01:52:33 am »
What a publicity stunt.

What needs to happen, though, is a look at the books for the club to make sure that the President isn't benefiting monetarily from foreign governments.

If a well-regulated militia be the most natural defense of a free country, it ought certainly to be under the regulation and at the disposal of that body which is constituted the guardian of the national security.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2019, 05:17:27 am »
the rats are trying to give republicans every opportunity to jump ship.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2019, 06:22:57 am »
the rats are trying to give republicans every opportunity to jump ship.

Or to unite in solidarity against this bullshit.
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2019, 06:40:21 am »
Or to unite in solidarity against this bullshit.
@Jazzhead
Are you OK with something like the President writing himself a check? Only it's not like that. 
It is that.

Offline Neverdul

• Moderator Gubernatorial and State Races
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2019, 11:11:37 am »
This is so wrong on so many levels.

Mulvaney claims that Trump will not make any money off the event, said the golf club will provide the location and services at cost.

Then why have the G7 there? Let’s be honest, Trump does nothing, nothing out of the goodness of his heart. So why?

Even if and “if” is the operative word, Doral provides everything at cost and he and Donny Jr. et all, don’t make dime, June is a slow month for resorts in southern Florida and Doral has been struggling financially so even at cost, the resort is still doing better than having empty rooms and banquet facilities, breaking even at the minimum is still better than operating at loss.

https://fortune.com/2019/10/18/trump-doral-g7-summit-deutsche-bank/

Yet it’s not apparent how the Trump Organization would ensure that it is the case. For instance, Mulvaney didn’t specify whether the company would refuse compensation and opt to pay for the event out of its own pocket. (The most recent G7 summit, held this year in Biarritz, France, reportedly cost French taxpayers north of $40 million—with previous summits in Canada and Italy said to have cost considerably more.)

It’s also unclear why it would choose to go to such lengths, given the extent to which Doral has struggled financially in recent years. In May, the Washington Post reported that the 643-room resort had been hit by declining revenues and profits between 2015 and 2017, with both occupancy and room rates well below competing resorts in its area. The New York Times, meanwhile, reported that Doral actually lost money to the tune of $2.4 million in 2014, the most recent year for which the Times was able to obtain documents specifying the Trump Organization’s profits.

Of course there is the value of the “free” (tax payer funded) advertising and promotion of the resort.

There is also the matter of screwing non-Trump owned facilities out of business.

Mulvaney said the Trump administration started with 12 potential sites to host the G7 summit, and advance teams that scouted locations came back with the suggestion to hold it at Doral.

“We used the same set of criteria that other administrations used,” Mulvaney said. “It became apparent at the end of that process that Doral was far and away, far and away, the best facility to host this conference.”

OK. So what was the selection process? And what other 12 potential sites were considered? Were the 11 others also Trump properties? Will we ever see that or see proof of the no profit claim? Or will they go to the same place as his tax returns?

Considering that Trump said back in August that Doral should be the site of the next G7, I’m guessing the selection process went something like:

Mr. President, here are 12 sites suitable for the G7.

Trump: “Doral”.

But Mr. President, don’t you want to review each one and see the recommendations before making a decision?

Trump: “Doral”.

But Mr. President, aren’t you concerned about the ethics, or the appearance of impropriety, self-dealing, the emoluments clause?

Trump: “Doral! Doral! Doral!!! Besides I’m too busy right now what with looking into corruption with the Biden’s in the Ukraine. And get Jr. on the phone, I need to make sure that he’s on top of the two sets of books and making sure he doesn’t mix them up and give the wrong ones to the IRS and the bank.”

So This Is How Liberty Dies, With Thunderous Applause

Offline libertybele

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2019, 12:08:50 pm »
This is so wrong on so many levels.

Mulvaney claims that Trump will not make any money off the event, said the golf club will provide the location and services at cost.

Then why have the G7 there? Let’s be honest, Trump does nothing, nothing out of the goodness of his heart. So why?

Mulvaney said the Trump administration started with 12 potential sites to host the G7 summit, and advance teams that scouted locations came back with the suggestion to hold it at Doral.

“We used the same set of criteria that other administrations used,” Mulvaney said. “It became apparent at the end of that process that Doral was far and away, far and away, the best facility to host this conference.”

Interesting that you commented that Trump does nothing out of the goodness of his heart, do you know him personally??

Doral was suggested by the 'team scouts', Trump agreed.  End of story. 

I see this as ridiculousness and yes this story is so wrong on many levels.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2019, 06:52:51 pm »
They picked an apt name for the bill.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2019, 07:22:06 pm »
They picked an apt name for the bill.
@Cyber Liberty
@libertybele

Cyber/bele, the law doesn't say the president can take foreign money if he doesn't make a profit, it says he can't take it, period.  Plus, the way he values his property to get loans, and the way he values it for income tax purposes, are totally different - I read all about that in the last two days - two sets of books.  Bottom line is, one cannot trust any financial report over which he has control.  I also read, income for the Doral property has been going down.

Heard a health report on Doral and there were bed bugs in rooms, and roaches in the kitchen area.  This will make the G7 countries hurrying to get there.  Maybe Doral will pass out bug spray (without charge) to each participant and each participant will bring his/her own food that needs no preparation in the kitchen.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2019, 07:25:33 pm »
@Cyber Liberty
@libertybele

Cyber/bele, the law doesn't say the president can take foreign money if he doesn't make a profit, it says he can't take it, period.  Plus, the way he values his property to get loans, and the way he values it for income tax purposes, are totally different - I read all about that in the last two days - two sets of books.  Bottom line is, one cannot trust any financial report over which he has control.  I also read, income for the Doral property has been going down.

Heard a health report on Doral and there were bed bugs in rooms, and roaches in the kitchen area.  This will make the G7 countries hurrying to get there.  Maybe Doral will pass out bug spray (without charge) to each participant and each participant will bring his/her own food that needs no preparation in the kitchen.

I think he's being foolish, using Trump Hotel properties for things like this, and the one in Ireland (I believe it was?).  There is absolutely no upside for him, and tons of downsides in terms of appearing corrupt.

ETA:  He's damaging his own brand.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2019, 07:26:23 pm by Cyber Liberty »
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2019, 07:39:34 pm »
I think he's being foolish, using Trump Hotel properties for things like this, and the one in Ireland (I believe it was?).  There is absolutely no upside for him, and tons of downsides in terms of appearing corrupt.
ETA:  He's damaging his own brand.

You are exactly right but he can't see that.  I read sometime ago that all his properties were making less money since he became president.  Had to happen - anyone not in his camp are not going to any building his name is on.  He should have thought of that before he ran but he could not do that, thinking everyone must love his TRUMP named properties as much as they love him and all in the world love him.  A side note: most of the buildings with the TRUMP name on them are not owned by him.   Sometime in the past I read about real owners going through the process getting his name off the buildings.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2019, 07:43:47 pm »
You are exactly right but he can't see that.  I read sometime ago that all his properties were making less money since he became president.  Had to happen - anyone not in his camp are not going to any building his name is on.  He should have thought of that before he ran but he could not do that, thinking everyone must love his TRUMP named properties as much as they love him and all in the world love him.  A side note: most of the buildings with the TRUMP name on them are not owned by him.   Sometime in the past I read about real owners going through the process getting his name off the buildings.

How much of that is Trump, the man, and "resistance" thugs just piling on to make an example of him so others don't try to rock their boat?  It's a "Heads on pikes" thing.
I will NOT comply.

Offline Neverdul

• Moderator Gubernatorial and State Races
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2019, 11:29:15 pm »
Interesting that you commented that Trump does nothing out of the goodness of his heart, do you know him personally??

I see this as ridiculousness and yes this story is so wrong on many levels.

@libertybele

No. I do not know Trump personally. And neither do you. But we both have eyes to read the things he’s written and ears to listen to the words he’s uttered over the years.

He measures everything in terms of winning and losing, with himself always portraying himself as the winner and pretty much everyone else as the losers. That is of course unless someone fawns over him whether that is his ardent and unshakable supporters or Kim Il Jong or people who have worked for him or served in his administration, up until the point they don’t.

Ever read “Art of the Deal”? Although that was actually written by Tony Schwartz, so much so he got a share of the advance and a byline, but Trump swears now he wrote himself, and Schwartz even before Trump ran for POTUS, call him a sociopath, not the only person once close to him to have said that. None the less it does give insight into what Trump finds important:

Publicity – “good publicity is preferable to bad, but from a bottom-line perspective, bad publicity is sometimes better than no publicity at all. Controversy, in short, sells.”

Bravado – “The final key to the way I promote is bravado. I play to people's fantasies. People may not always think big themselves. but they can get very excited by those who do. That is why a little hyperbole never hurts. People want to believe that something is the biggest, the greatest and the most spectacular. I call it truthful hyperbole. It’s an innocent form of exaggeration—and a very effective form of promotion.”

Keeping score – “Money was never a big motivation for me, except as a way to keep score. The real excitement is playing the game.”

Even his own charitable foundation, admittedly a mere piker compared the Clintons’, was shut down and dissolved under judicial supervision amid lawsuits and investigations, investigations subsequently revealing various ethical and legal violations, including failure to register in New York, self-dealing, and illegal campaign contributions.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donald_J._Trump_Foundation

IMO, it’s not that the Clintons are better or worse in this regard, but the Clinton’s just know how to play the game better and that must really frost Trump.

Yes. Of all the possible venues suitable for hosting the G7, the “team scouts” whoever they are, just happened to determine that Doral was the best. Not that it matters that the “team scouts” work for Trump or the Trump administration or that Trump pitched Doral before the “team scouts” were even dispatched.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6SshY_IJjc

So if you believe that this decision was in no way Trump’s decision but that of the “team scouts” and he just “agreed” to it or that he will in no way profit from it, I’ve got a highly discounted admittance to Trump University to sell you. wink777
So This Is How Liberty Dies, With Thunderous Applause

« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2019, 12:09:51 am »
@libertybele

No. I do not know Trump personally. And neither do you. But we both have eyes to read the things he’s written and ears to listen to the words he’s uttered over the years.

He measures everything in terms of winning and losing, with himself always portraying himself as the winner and pretty much everyone else as the losers. That is of course unless someone fawns over him whether that is his ardent and unshakable supporters or Kim Il Jong or people who have worked for him or served in his administration, up until the point they don’t.

Ever read “Art of the Deal”? Although that was actually written by Tony Schwartz, so much so he got a share of the advance and a byline, but Trump swears now he wrote himself, and Schwartz even before Trump ran for POTUS, call him a sociopath, not the only person once close to him to have said that. None the less it does give insight into what Trump finds important:

Publicity – “good publicity is preferable to bad, but from a bottom-line perspective, bad publicity is sometimes better than no publicity at all. Controversy, in short, sells.”

Bravado – “The final key to the way I promote is bravado. I play to people's fantasies. People may not always think big themselves. but they can get very excited by those who do. That is why a little hyperbole never hurts. People want to believe that something is the biggest, the greatest and the most spectacular. I call it truthful hyperbole. It’s an innocent form of exaggeration—and a very effective form of promotion.”

Keeping score – “Money was never a big motivation for me, except as a way to keep score. The real excitement is playing the game.”

Even his own charitable foundation, admittedly a mere piker compared the Clintons’, was shut down and dissolved under judicial supervision amid lawsuits and investigations, investigations subsequently revealing various ethical and legal violations, including failure to register in New York, self-dealing, and illegal campaign contributions.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donald_J._Trump_Foundation

IMO, it’s not that the Clintons are better or worse in this regard, but the Clinton’s just know how to play the game better and that must really frost Trump.

Yes. Of all the possible venues suitable for hosting the G7, the “team scouts” whoever they are, just happened to determine that Doral was the best. Not that it matters that the “team scouts” work for Trump or the Trump administration or that Trump pitched Doral before the “team scouts” were even dispatched.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6SshY_IJjc

So if you believe that this decision was in no way Trump’s decision but that of the “team scouts” and he just “agreed” to it or that he will in no way profit from it, I’ve got a highly discounted admittance to Trump University to sell you. wink777
goopo