Author Topic: Ken Cuccinelli: Ending Birthright Citizenship Does Not Require Constitutional Amendment  (Read 399 times)

rangerrebew

Ken Cuccinelli: Ending Birthright Citizenship Does Not Require Constitutional Amendment

Oct. 16, 2019
    John Binder

Acting United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) Director Ken Cuccinelli says there is no Constitutional Amendment needed to end the nation’s birthright citizenship, whereby millions of illegal aliens have been able to secure their U.S.-born children American citizenship.

During the Christian Science Monitor‘s breakfast with Cuccinelli, the acting director said he does not believe that an amendment to the Constitution is necessary for the U.S. to end its birthright citizenship policy.

“I do not, at least I have a belief on it, that I do not believe you need an amendment to the Constitution,” Cuccinelli said. “I think the question is ‘Do you need congressional action or can the executive act on their own?'”

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2...nal-amendment/

Offline thackney

Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor

Many leading conservative scholars argue the Citizenship Clause of the 14th Amendment does not provide mandatory birthright citizenship to the U.S.-born children of illegal aliens or noncitizens, as these children are not subject to U.S. jurisdiction as that language was understood when the 14th Amendment was ratified.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Many leading conservative scholars argue the Citizenship Clause of the 14th Amendment does not provide mandatory birthright citizenship to the U.S.-born children of illegal aliens or noncitizens, as these children are not subject to U.S. jurisdiction as that language was understood when the 14th Amendment was ratified.

And those who so argue are entirely correct.  There is no doubt about it IMHO.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
This issue will never be conclusively settled until it has been forced into the Supreme Court for their interpretation of "what the language of the 14th means".

At that point, we can move forward.
Either for appropriate legislation, or (depending on the ruling) a Constitutional Amendment to repair the Fourteenth (one of the WORST of all the amendments).

I'd like to see an Amendment that ends birthright citizenship and at the same time clarifies the meaning of "natural born citizen" (for presidential qualifications).

But such an amendment will NEVER "come from Congress".
It can come only "from the states".

Online Hoodat

Cuccinelli rocks.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-