Author Topic: Tennessee teacher breaks down in tears after hungry student asks her for SpaghettiOs  (Read 376 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Tennessee teacher breaks down in tears after hungry student asks her for SpaghettiOs

By Nicole Darrah | Fox News

A Tennessee teacher said she was brought to tears earlier this month when one of her students "so innocently talked about food, and the lack of it."

Brooke Goins, a 21-year-old teacher at Jacksboro Elementary School, said the young student asked her "when the lady that puts food in his backpack was coming."

The child was inquiring about the school's guidance counselor. Goins wrote in a Facebook post on Oct. 2 that the boy said the guidance counselor would give him food and "he was out of it at home and needed more."

She wasn't sure of the counselor's schedule, as the school had a "short week," and she set off to figure out what food the boy liked so much.

more
https://www.foxnews.com/lifestyle/tennessee-teacher-hungry-student-food

8888crybaby
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline goatprairie

Well, yeah...no kid should go hungry.
But what is the story behind this? Should we just believe the kid? There's certainly awful parents who smoke, drink, and spend money on themselves while ignoring their kids' needs. But how many of them are there?
The problem with stories like this is that they're designed to make people believe many millions of kids are going hungry.  There's plenty of food available, and it's actually a lot smaller percentage of a family's budget then it was when I was kid half a century and more ago.
If some kid isn't getting enough food to eat, it's probably because he has lousy or outright evil parents or just parent.
In which case the child should be taken away.

Offline berdie

Well, yeah...no kid should go hungry.
But what is the story behind this? Should we just believe the kid? There's certainly awful parents who smoke, drink, and spend money on themselves while ignoring their kids' needs. But how many of them are there?
The problem with stories like this is that they're designed to make people believe many millions of kids are going hungry.  There's plenty of food available, and it's actually a lot smaller percentage of a family's budget then it was when I was kid half a century and more ago.
If some kid isn't getting enough food to eat, it's probably because he has lousy or outright evil parents or just parent.
In which case the child should be taken away.

Well, I don't know about taking them away...but...there are lots of cheap ways to feed a family and send a lunch to school.

I had neighbors for awhile that were poor as dirt...but they had pizza delivered every night. **nononono*

Offline goatprairie

Well, I don't know about taking them away...but...there are lots of cheap ways to feed a family and send a lunch to school.

I had neighbors for awhile that were poor as dirt...but they had pizza delivered every night. **nononono*
I guarantee you food was not nearly as cheap and plentiful  when I was a kid as it is today.
We were six kids (later seven) with one earner, my father. No extra snacks/food until I was in my mid teens. I didn't taste steak until I was almost out of high school. Didn't eat at any restaurants until about then either.
But we didn't starve or go hungry. We just didn't waste food.

Offline Applewood

I keep reading stories like this all the time and I too doubt we have so many kids going hungry.  My local school district gives these kids breakfast and lunch.  Some districts I know give the kids dinner too.  WTH?  When I was a kid, my parents put food on the table.  Sometimes when times were tough, my parents did without so my brother and I would be fed, clothed and sheltered.  And they did it without any public assistance either.  Today's "poor" get EBT (food stamps). plus there are other programs such as WIC (for women with small children).  And there is always a food pantry or two around.  So why are these so-called poor kids going hungry?

These days, it seems parents want to have kids, but they don't want to have to raise them.  They've abdicated that job to the government. 

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
I walked five miles uphill, through blizzzards, for every meal.

I ws oldest of five, my wife second of six.

Married as teenagers, and self-supporting since day one 51 yrs ago.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline goatprairie

I keep reading stories like this all the time and I too doubt we have so many kids going hungry.  My local school district gives these kids breakfast and lunch.  Some districts I know give the kids dinner too.  WTH?  When I was a kid, my parents put food on the table.  Sometimes when times were tough, my parents did without so my brother and I would be fed, clothed and sheltered.  And they did it without any public assistance either.  Today's "poor" get EBT (food stamps). plus there are other programs such as WIC (for women with small children).  And there is always a food pantry or two around.  So why are these so-called poor kids going hungry?

These days, it seems parents want to have kids, but they don't want to have to raise them.  They've abdicated that job to the government.
I agree. I refuse to believe the hunger myths that liberals love to prate about. I sincerely doubt there's any kind of hunger problem in the country.
I didn't know anybody on public assistance when I was kid. Most parents would have been ashamed to accept it.  I know my own father would rather have dug ditches ( a worthy occupation) than take charity. Taking charity for a father in those days, when most mothers stayed at home, meant you were a failure and not a real man.
And so we never took charity. That meant I wore a lot of hand me down clothes and got a lot of second-hand gifts from my older siblings. Didn't bother me a bit.
Many other families were in our situation, but nobody considered themselves unfortunate. In those days if things weren't going good, you were expected to try harder and make things good. No excuses. No blaming other people for your failures.