Author Topic: Senate Dem to offer bill making threats, attacks against news media a federal crime  (Read 310 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Senate Dem to offer bill making threats, attacks against news media a federal crime
By Tal Axelrod - 10/15/19 01:03 PM EDT

Sen. Richard Blumenthal (D-Conn.) said Tuesday he plans to introduce legislation that would make threats and attacks against news organizations a federal crime.

“What we have to address is the continuing threat of physical violence, whether by guns or other means, against the press that may intimidate them in their vital newsgathering operation,” Blumenthal said at a news conference.

“It is a priority for me to protect newsgathering operations no matter what their form and the act that we’re proposing would in fact establish a federal crime when someone threatens or attacks anyone doing fact-gathering or news operations. That is the purpose of this bill.”

more
https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/465859-blumenthal-to-propose-legislation-making-threats-attacks-against-news
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline PeteS in CA

Which state's laws against assault are inadequate? And how is this even a Federal matter?
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline Hoodat

Yet another federal law that will only be enforced when the reporter happens to be a liberal.  If we can't even get state laws against assault, battery, and property damage enforced when a Conservative reporter is beaten in the streets of Portland, then what makes anyone believe that this new law will be enforced?
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline jafo2010

• Dems-greatest existential threat to USA republic!
I think that reporter in Portland has a strong case against the City of Portland.  They were ordered to stand down.  When they do that, they should be held responsible.

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
I guess someone feels that the media should be afforded the same special status as bleep, illegals and muslims.....................ain't America grand!

Of course he hasn't yet announced the exclusionary clause regarding Conservative news media

OOPS! I guess I will have to remember not to use that word that rhymes with steers, my bad! I guess I will just have use alphabet soupers instead, it's longer but covers all the different flavors and isn't politically incorrect or offensive...............yet.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2019, 06:45:10 am by GtHawk »

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
Well once again fuel was given to their fire.  Yesterday it came out that some meme media produced a video called "church of fake news". 

Trump campaign denies showing massacre in 'Church of Fake News' parody video at Doral
Film shown at American Priority conference at Doral Miami resort

By - Associated Press - Sunday, October 13, 2019
WASHINGTON — A graphically violent parody video, shown at a meeting of President Trump’s supporters at his Miami resort, depicted a likeness of the president shooting and stabbing his opponents and members of the news media in a church, The New York Times reported Sunday.

In the video, Trump’s critics and media members are portrayed as parishioners fleeing his gruesome rampage. The fake Trump strikes the late Sen. John McCain in the neck, hits and stabs TV personality Rosie O’Donnell in the face, lights Sen. Bernie Sanders’ head on fire and shoots or otherwise assaults people whose faces are replaced with news organization logos.

The video was shown last week at an American Priority conference at Trump’s Doral Miami resort, the newspaper said. Trump was not there. Event organizer Alex Phillips told The Times the video was played as part of a “meme exhibit” and was not associated with or endorsed by the conference “in any official capacity.” “American Priority rejects all political violence,” he said, and is looking into the matter.

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2019/oct/13/trump-massacre-church-fake-news-parody-video-shown/

I just don't get it.  This was perfect fuel for Democrats.  I have never in my entire life seen anything like this.  Trump can deny showing it, but at a conference like this it must have been organized.  And they should know what is being shown.  And really it is blatantly obvious that the organization that made it are pro Trump.  They thought it was good, funny...…...whatever.  So whether we like it or not people close enough to the Trump administration are pushing violence over "fake news".

And I think that they could correctly say that Trump does instigate these feelings.  His rallies are full of hate.  Swearing.  Using Gods name in vain.  Railing on and on about "fake news".   Even FOX is a target now of Trumps media hate. 

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2019, 03:54:02 am by Chosen Daughter »
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
I think our Constitution already covers it.  What do we need a new law for? 

I don't have a problem upholding or creating a law to protect media and journalists from threat.  The devil is in the details though.  They better make sure that they are not abridging others rights to free speech.  That is why I am against this.  It will become another bill to dictate what a person can say rather than a real threat to physical harm.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
@Chosen Daughter

The word "trump" was not in the title, or the article, or in previous posts.

However your remarks used the words about 7-8 times.

Very obsessed, you are, imo.

Also known as TDS, by the way.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Online roamer_1

I think our Constitution already covers it.  What do we need a new law for? 

Because some pigs are more equal than others...  :whistle:

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

@Chosen Daughter

The word "trump" was not in the title, or the article, or in previous posts.

However your remarks used the words about 7-8 times.
@truth_seeker
@Chosen Daughter is providing context as to why the rats are pushing this legislation now.  How do you not understand that?
Very obsessed, you are, imo.

Also known as TDS, by the way.
You got something orange on your nose.

Online roamer_1

You got something orange on your nose.

Maybe it's TANG.  :shrug: :whistle: