Author Topic: Hearing Bonnen’s Deceit  (Read 765 times)

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Hearing Bonnen’s Deceit
« on: October 15, 2019, 02:37:11 pm »
Texas Scorecard by Michael Quinn Sullivan October 15, 2019

Hearing Bonnen’s Deceit

Texas House speaker offered official action in exchange for targeting his Republican foes.

When House Speaker Dennis Bonnen invited me to his office, I didn’t know he would immerse me in a quid pro quo scandal that threatens to “destroy” (in the words of Texas’ lieutenant governor) the Republican Party in Texas. I was suspicious of Bonnen’s actions during his several months as speaker; so much so that I decided as CEO of Empower Texans to protect myself, my family, my organization, and staff by recording the meeting.

With the approval of my legal team – and despite my personal qualms – I am today releasing the full, uncensored and unredacted 64 minutes of audio from the meeting. This comes at the widely reported insistence of Gov. Greg Abbott, Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick, and RPT Chairman James Dickey. You will also find a timeline of the events leading up to and following the meeting, timestamps for specific points in the meeting, and a certified transcript of the audio.

To be clear: neither Abbott, Patrick, nor Dickey took the opportunity to first hear the audio in private as had been offered to all Republican officials since early August.

From What Did I Want To Be Protected?

I recorded the meeting not to capture the “locker room” talk or gossip that is typical of meetings in the Austin swamp, but to ensure Bonnen could not lie about the meeting or distort its purpose in the future. I had in mind the lies he told (publicly and without any consequence so far) about Chris McNutt of Texas Gun Rights, and I have heard stories of him doing the same to others, so I wasn’t going to let him do it to me.

More:  https://texasscorecard.com/blog/hearing-bonnens-deceit/

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Re: Hearing Bonnen’s Deceit
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2019, 03:59:44 pm »
@Bigun, I think this is in your wheelhouse.  What's this about?
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2019, 04:05:45 pm »
bkmk

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2019, 05:02:12 pm »
https://thetexan.news/heres-a-timeline-of-the-bonnen-burrows-and-empower-texans-controversy/

The Texan McKenzie Taylor August 9, 2019

For those trying to follow what's happened in the ongoing drama over an alleged quid pro quo offered to Empower Texans by Speaker Dennis Bonnen.

As the controversy surrounding Speaker Dennis Bonnen (R-Angleton) and Chairman Dustin Burrows’ (R-Lubbock) meeting with Empower Texans’ Michael Quinn Sullivan continues to unfold, it’s easy for details to get lost along the way.

Here’s a timeline of what’s happened so far.

May 15: Bonnen goes on the record saying he won’t campaign against any sitting member of the Texas House, R or D:

“What makes the House unique and successful, in the country, not simply here but across the country, is that we are bipartisan. And the central component of our bipartisanship is that you don’t see sitting members of the House campaigning against another sitting member of the House.”

June 12: The meeting occurs between Bonnen, Burrows, and Sullivan in Bonnen’s office.

Tangentially, June 12 was also the day of the bill signing ceremony for Senate Bill 2, the session’s property tax reform legislation. The bill’s author, Sen. Paul Bettencourt (R-Houston), was notably absent from the event and it was speculated that he was not invited.

Bettencourt was recently quoted saying, “I wasn’t invited to the SB 2 signing, but in hindsight, I’m glad I wasn’t invited to any meeting in the Capitol that day.”

July 25: Sullivan releases the article on Empower Texans’ website detailing the meeting.

The grassroots leader alleged that the Speaker listed 10 GOP incumbent House members he wanted Sullivan to challenge, and, in return, Bonnen would grant Sullivan’s organization the House press credentials they had been previously denied.

Sullivan’s account of the meeting was detailed and stated that Bonnen “made a show” of leaving the room before Burrows was the one to read Sullivan the list of expendable members.

More at link.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2019, 05:02:58 pm by Elderberry »

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2019, 05:48:35 pm »
@Bigun, I think this is in your wheelhouse.  What's this about?

@Cyber Liberty

It's about the Speaker of the Texas House offering the head of a very high powered texas political action group a big quid pro quo in exchange for that group targeting certain incumbent members in the next election cycle. Some of the people he wants to be targeted are of his own party.

Bonnen will not survive this IMHO.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2019, 05:54:32 pm »
@Cyber Liberty

It's about the Speaker of the Texas House offering the head of a very high powered texas political action group a big quid pro quo in exchange for that group targeting certain incumbent members in the next election cycle. Some of the people he wants to be targeted are of his own party.

Thanks!  :beer:
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2019, 06:02:42 pm »
Thanks!  :beer:

Here's the speaker's problem @Cyber Liberty

TX Con Art 16, Sec 41:

any member of the legislature, soliciting or consenting to receive, directly or indirectly, for himself or another, promise of a thing of value or personal advantage, w/ understanding, express or implied, that official action will be influenced. Punishment is removal.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2019, 06:03:47 pm by Bigun »

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online berdie

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2019, 07:24:29 pm »
@Cyber Liberty

I don't think he will survive either...or if he should. I'm not sure he is any better than Strauss.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2019, 07:38:18 pm »

I don't think he will survive either...or if he should. I'm not sure he is any better than Strauss.

Same here.

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2019, 02:29:36 am »
The Bonnen Tape Is Tawdry, Shocking, and Kinda Funny

https://www.texasmonthly.com/politics/dennis-bonnen-recording-tawdry-shocking/

In July, when right-wing ringleader Michael Quinn Sullivan accused House Speaker Dennis Bonnen of essentially trying to bribe him to secure his help in ousting members of the GOP, it was a profound shock to the Texas political community. The revelation soon after that Sullivan had secretly taped the meeting was another shock. Since then, observers have had time to come to grips with the details of the harebrained scheme launched by Bonnen and his second in command, Dustin Burrows.

But they still wanted to hear it for themselves, and now they can. On Tuesday, Sullivan released the tape. A little more than an hour long, it confirms that Bonnen offered Sullivan’s widely despised right-wing pressure group access to the House floor, a thing of real material value, if Sullivan promised to limit his anti-incumbent spending in the upcoming Republican primary to ten GOP lawmakers Bonnen sees as enemies. He offered this in his official capacity as speaker, and despite having promised again and again in the strongest possible terms that he would not campaign against any sitting lawmaker, or tolerate anyone else doing so either.

He committed reputational seppuku, and it seems hard to imagine that he’ll ever be able to recover. But it’s still worth listening to, or reading the transcript, to learn a little about how some of the most important political operators in the state talk behind closed doors. The deeply casual way in which Bonnen and Burrows discuss the expenditure of millions of dollars and the manipulation of the political process is telling, as is the deeply insulting way both talk about both their colleagues and local elected officials.

On top of that, if you know a little about the central characters and pay close attention to the exchanges, it’s also pretty funny. Accidentally, the three seem to have formed a local oddity: Austin’s least worst improv trio, each man playing a goofball character who thinks he’s a very slick operator.

More at link.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2019, 06:20:14 pm »

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
I will NOT comply.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2019, 09:01:09 pm »
So, he can continue to make mischief until when?  2021?

I suppose he could @Cyber Liberty, but I doubt that there will be many who would listen to him now even with his $10MM war chest.

- J. R. R. Tolkien