Author Topic: Target Workers Get a Predictable Rude Awakening After Company Implements Minimum Wage Increase  (Read 4321 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Target Workers Get a Predictable Rude Awakening After Company Implements Minimum Wage Increase

Posted at 8:30 pm on October 14, 2019 by Sister Toldjah

excerpt:

In a shocking display of actual journalism, CNN recently interviewed over 20 current and former Target employees who say that the gradual wage hike (their minimum is now $13) brought along with it less hours and, of course, less take-home pay. Why? Because Target started to look for ways to cut corners:

But some store workers say the wage increases are not helping because their hours are falling, making it difficult to keep their health insurance and in some cases to pay their bills.
[…]
“I got that dollar raise but I’m getting $200 less in my paycheck,” said one, Heather, who started in November at a Florida store working around 40 hours a week. She’s now below 20 some weeks, she said. “I have no idea how I’m going to pay rent or buy food.”
[…]
Beyond just a drop in earnings that Target workers who spoke with CNN Business have experienced, employees who average fewer than 30 hours of work a week during the year aren’t eligible to qualify for health insurance benefits through the company during annual enrollment season in the spring.
[…]
Target workers who say their hours have dropped have been given a variety of reasons why by their supervisors, including that there were not hours available or that their managers couldn’t fit additional hours in their budgets. Others said they received no explanation for why their hours fell.

One former store director in Ohio who oversaw around 130 employees said hours dropped at the store in the past year for several reasons, including the introduction of self-checkout and elimination of backroom shifts.

more
https://www.redstate.com/sister-toldjah/2019/10/14/target-workers-get-predictable-rude-awakening-company-implements-minimum-wage-increase/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline skeeter

All of the warnings concerning a higher minimum wage are playing out here in CA, and the economic gulf between public & high tech employees and the rest of the state's population is getting wider by the day.

Offline PeteS in CA

All of the warnings concerning a higher minimum wage are playing out here in CA, and the economic gulf between public & high tech employees and the rest of the state's population is getting wider by the day.

Predictions of what would happen were spoken when this stupidity first became a political issue.

Early-adopter cities of this foolishness, like SF and Seattle, saw and continue to see the predicted automation, hours cutbacks, and business closings that were predicted.

Now, as more cities and states adopt this foolishness and national/regional businesses adopt the foolishness in self-defense from government, the long predicted consequences are going national.

The reality denial is also national, unfortunately.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline Hoodat

I have a very low tolerance for willful economic ignorance.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
Actually it's playing out wherever they do this, anyone that has run a business in California over a long period of time knows exactly what happens with a minimum wage increase and the size of these increase in today's competitive marketplace just amplify the results. I remember in the mid seventies business was so good that we could absorb the minimum wage increases with minor menu price increases but those days are long gone and far away. As businesses reach the brick wall of employee and service cuts we will all see higher prices and it won't just be the minimum wage employees that have lost income to cut hours or higher taxes that are affected, it will be the seniors on social security and others that haven't gotten wage increases that will feel the pain too.

I'm sure there will be someone that read an article by an expert or posts statistics and graphs from 'government data' that proves my real life experience to be all bullshit, but hey I was the guy that had to cut employee hours, cut payroll and post the price increases that those government stats said were bullshit.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
I have a very low tolerance for willful economic ignorance.

@Hoodat

It's more purposeful than willful. The uber wealthy Dims like Soros don't like competition with the businesses they own,and they also know they can buy businesses they don't own at a dime to a dollar in bankruptcy sales.

People like Soros and Warren Buffett didn't become multi-billionaires because they were generous with their money.

Collapse the economy and then start fresh as the only ones with the money and the assets to start anew. So what if they lose money for a year or two,once everything is back to normal they will be the only ones standing with the means and the ability to conduct business.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline goatprairie

Many people have a very dim idea of what they're actually worth. I should know, I was a union member most of my working life.
Our union reps were always ranting about how much we were owed by the places I worked at.
One thing they couldn't do....they couldn't keep our jobs. When a company realizes they don't need you, out you go, union or no union.
If I had the power I might pass a law banning strikes.  Not necessarily ban unions, but just have an arbitrator who decides what is just.
I was involved in a number of strikes, and the final result was it would have been better just to go on working instead of striking for the slight "gains" we made.

Offline berdie

Many people have a very dim idea of what they're actually worth. I should know, I was a union member most of my working life.
Our union reps were always ranting about how much we were owed by the places I worked at.
One thing they couldn't do....they couldn't keep our jobs. When a company realizes they don't need you, out you go, union or no union.
If I had the power I might pass a law banning strikes.  Not necessarily ban unions, but just have an arbitrator who decides what is just.
I was involved in a number of strikes, and the final result was it would have been better just to go on working instead of striking for the slight "gains" we made.

I don't know how much that was union. I'm not a union employee.  I was talking to a long time co-worker not long ago. We both agreed we under valued ourselves and our work. The newer generations over values themselves. I don't know which opinion is best...but I had a good job for 45 years. Of course, they would have still booted me if the time came. I was pretty fortunate and left on my own terms.

Offline OfTheCross

Eh, in reading the original CNN article the main complaint was hours cut below the healthcare threshold.

That happens all the time in retail whether you make $8 or $15/hour

https://www.cnn.com/2019/10/14/business/target-cutting-hours-wage-increase/index.html

There's a lot of factors involved.

Even the fact that there are more employees to give hours to:

"Target has been adding workers to help it keep up with growth. It has hired more than 35,000 new workers over the last two years and has approximately 360,000 full-time, part-time and seasonal employees, according to its latest annual securities filing."
If a well-regulated militia be the most natural defense of a free country, it ought certainly to be under the regulation and at the disposal of that body which is constituted the guardian of the national security.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Eh, in reading the original CNN article the main complaint was hours cut below the healthcare threshold.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/10/14/business/target-cutting-hours-wage-increase/index.html

Guess the idiots who wanted the higher per hour rates didn't factor that in.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline skeeter

There's a lot of factors involved.

Even the fact that there are more employees to give hours to:

"Target has been adding workers to help it keep up with growth. It has hired more than 35,000 new workers over the last two years and has approximately 360,000 full-time, part-time and seasonal employees, according to its latest annual securities filing."

There are other government mandates that also contribute to employer inability to employ as many people as they used to, but as an actual employer who knows other employers I can assure you that the minimum wage increases are the primary reason we can no longer afford to employ people in this state.

Ignore the reality if you like, but it will be apparent even to you eventually.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2019, 01:11:17 pm by skeeter »

Offline OfTheCross

There are other government mandates that also contribute to employer inability to employ as many people as they used to, but as an actual employer who knows other employers I can assure you that the minimum wage increases are the primary reason we can no longer afford to employ people in this state.

Ignore the reality if you like, but it will be apparent even to you eventually.

My co-worker just told me that he's pondering quitting his job and going on disability because his wage didn't even enough to pay his rent. He'd rather work odd jobs and collect collect a check than sacrifice 40 hours a week for peanuts.

Wages matter to people for morale and desire to work.
If a well-regulated militia be the most natural defense of a free country, it ought certainly to be under the regulation and at the disposal of that body which is constituted the guardian of the national security.

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
My co-worker just told me that he's pondering quitting his job and going on disability because his wage didn't even enough to pay his rent. He'd rather work odd jobs and collect collect a check than sacrifice 40 hours a week for peanuts.

We had a name for people like your  "co-worker".

We called them "lazy bums"
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Hoodat

I call them 'Democrats.'.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Online roamer_1

Doesn't matter. the wage is a mathematical function of the job's worth. Nothing will change that.
You can pay entry level workers 30 bucks an hour, and all that will happen is the price of the retail product will increase to compensate.

And everything else will go up likewise, until the 30 dollars is commiserate with the original value.
Except that in the interim, businesses that cannot handle the increase in wage by increasing retail price will fail, and thus make fewer jobs available, and more workers out of work.

That is the pipe dream of minimum wage.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
I call them 'Democrats.'.

That is their name today. 
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Absalom

Factors of production have a cost,
so capitalists will always choose their least cost alternative.
Some appear surprised/shocked.

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

Going on disability and working odd jobs.

You're disabled or you're not, pick one.

No actually, don't pick.  It's not YOUR choice.  You don't choose to be disabled, you choose to be dishonest.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Going on disability and working odd jobs.

You're disabled or you're not, pick one.

No actually, don't pick.  It's not YOUR choice.  You don't choose to be disabled, you choose to be dishonest.

@InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

Welllllll,there is a pretty flexible line there. When I first got hit with the Agent Orange infestation in my armpits and torso,there was no way I could hold a steady job because I had good days and bad days.

What I could do was occasionally go to Manpower and work a day or two so I could buy enough food to eat and help pay my rent. Even then I had to catch a bus to Manpower because it was cheaper than buying the gas.

Everywhere I worked tried to hire me full-time,but I just couldn't do it because of not wanting to take a chance on sweating and getting the open wounds any more infected,or missing doctors appointments at the VA hospital so I didn't miss work.

Life is often too complicated for simple stands.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Got a nephew who was laid off.  After a couple of months, I asked him when he was going to begin looking for another job.

His answer was when his unemployment ran out.

That is a lazy bum.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline skeeter

Working for peanuts didn't bother me when I was 19 years old. Unlike your friend when I wanted more money I knew I had to exert myself. Which I, and everyone else I knew, did as I got older.

Maybe people ought to stop expecting to be able to buy a home and raise kids on their salary as a cashier at the Dollar Store.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
My local target is hiring for the holidays starting at $15. Part time only but that’s a lot of money.
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵

I don't know how much that was union. I'm not a union employee.  I was talking to a long time co-worker not long ago. We both agreed we under valued ourselves and our work. The newer generations over values themselves. I don't know which opinion is best...but I had a good job for 45 years. Of course, they would have still booted me if the time came. I was pretty fortunate and left on my own terms.

My story is similar.  I had an excellent paying job for 34 years at Motorola, over 25 of them in R&D, and eventually I was obsoleted and offered a severance package.  Since I'd been expecting it for years and saved up a bunch of money, I decided to call it "retirement," even though it was not exactly on my own terms.  I did see it coming.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

@InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

Welllllll,there is a pretty flexible line there. When I first got hit with the Agent Orange infestation in my armpits and torso,there was no way I could hold a steady job because I had good days and bad days.

What I could do was occasionally go to Manpower and work a day or two so I could buy enough food to eat and help pay my rent. Even then I had to catch a bus to Manpower because it was cheaper than buying the gas.

Everywhere I worked tried to hire me full-time,but I just couldn't do it because of not wanting to take a chance on sweating and getting the open wounds any more infected,or missing doctors appointments at the VA hospital so I didn't miss work.

Life is often too complicated for simple stands.

You said, "there was no way I could hold a steady job".

You didn't choose to go on disability, it happened to you.   People today are choosing that it's better to just go on the dole than work for a living.  That ain't you.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.